ADVERTISEMENT

Best wishes in the ACC in 2015 ... Iowa moves to 3-0

cidsports

Prep
Nov 8, 2001
spacer.gif

11337162.jpeg

I didn't know who Kirk Ferentz was in early 1981, when he left Pitt as a GA to become Iowa's new OL coach under Hayden Fry. I have always had a soft spot for Pitt. He was my #1 choice, when Hayden Fry retired, after the 1998 season.

Not always a fan, especially vs. Iowa and the Big Ten. Not always a fan of the coaches the ADs have hired at Pitt. There have been some good ones. Bad ones and ugly too!

I liked the hire after Paul Chryst headed home to Madison. Iowa opens the Big Ten at Wisconsin in October. Iowa travels to play your old coach in his hometown; Pitt will be coming off a bye week and hitting the road to face a Virginia Tech team, 1-1 vs. B1G opponents in '15.

Mark Dantonio and Pat Narduzzi didn't beat Iowa the first time around at MSU. Thankfully, as an Iowa fan, Narduzzi's first homecoming back to Kinnick and the Big Ten wasn't a win. He showed that he is brings MSU style football to the Iron City.

11336073.jpeg

Paul Chryst wasn't the answer for Pitt. It has been a long time for Pitt, but a defensive minded coach looks like a good fit for the Panthers.

It was a spirited game and 27-24 was the pick that ringed true, though I didn't expect it quite on the final play. I should have, most likely, in this series: Iowa-Pitt.

Iowa and Pitt have a lot of work to do. They both have shown some improvement, since last season. They both have plenty to clean up and build upon in 2015.

Iowa was missing their #1 RB and #1 DE. Of course, the loss of your #1 RB has been huge for a coach that will want to run the ball down opponents throats, but you are really young at the RB position. Patience will be required.

Best wishes moving forward in the ACC. Though, a lot of Iowa fans would prefer Pitt over Rutgers in the Big Ten. Yes, we get the whole NYC thing, but Pitt is a Midwest team and a very good research institution and there is something about New Jersey, other than we enjoy there student-athletes on the gridiron that just doesn't seem right about Rutgers and the B1G.

11336044.jpeg

It has been a long 5 years for Iowa. The 2010 season was a disappointment at 8-5. The 2011 to 2014 seasons have been good, bad and ugly for Iowa. Iowa was 4-8 in 2012, but they did beat MSU (7-6) on the road.

Iowa is in the fourth season with new OC and DC. In 2002, Kirk Ferentz had a breakout season. It took him four years (three to bowl), after he inherited a 3-8 program, in December of 1998.

The improvements at Pitt should be faster, but it still will take time.

I am not sold on either QB quite yet. Good luck on that one.

11337137.jpeg

The Big Ten is rebuilding, outside of Ohio State and Michigan State.

Penn State is a prime example of a program not in sync.

Michigan has work, as well.

ACC has been rebuilding for even longer.

The Big Ten is rebuilding, outside of Ohio State and Michigan State.

Penn State is a prime example of a program not in sync.

Michigan has work, as well.

ACC has been rebuilding for even longer.
It appears that if Iowa was ever to make a move in the Big Ten, it's this year. Paraphrasing what you said, there's Ohio State, Michigan State, and after them, a bunch of wannabes. There's not a team in the "wannabe" category that you guys can't beat.

Good luck to you.

Reactions: cidsports
Very reasonable piece. My only issue with it is that he mentioned Iowa'a personnel losses but he did not mention Pitt's personal losses, which I think were more substantial. I mean we were w/o the reigning ACC POY and a Heisman Trophy candidate. That's pretty noteworthy - even for an article written for Iowa fans.

I have always had a soft spot for Iowa because they wear the Steelers' uniforms.

Both teams do have work to do but Beathard was the difference. He made several big plays with his legs last night that were killers. Their boundary corner also played a very good game.

Iowa could easily win the B1G-W.

Reactions: cidsports
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT