ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 TV deal wasnt that great

Here's some good info in regards to the Big 12's new contract vs the ACC. And also some foreshadowing that we all know is on the horizon:

from a Q&A in the Athletic

How much damage does that new Big 12 media deal do to the ACC? Obviously, none of these deals help the ACC’s financial situation, but does it make things any worse? — BD G.

Fortuna: BD, I’m not sure the Big 12’s new deal makes matters worse for the ACC financially so much as it just reiterates how long of a holding pattern its members are in with their current deal. Remember, the ACC’s deal with ESPN runs through 2035-36. The deal that the Big 12 is about to sign expires in 2030-31. The expected $31 million per school annual average is impressive in the sense that the Big 12 was able to land that much money without Oklahoma and Texas in the fold anymore, but it is still less than what ACC schools get.

Of note, Sports Business Journal’s John Ourand wrote: “ESPN took pains to make sure that its Big 12 deal would not result in a bigger per-school payout than the ACC.” So the Worldwide Leader certainly values its relationship with the ACC. The real problem for the ACC could come during the next round of media rights negotiations, where everyone — the Big Ten (expires in 2029-30), Big 12 (2030-31), SEC (2033-34) and likely the Pac-12 — will be up for renewal before the ACC’s current deal expires. By that point, perhaps the difference in payouts from other conferences, coupled with the shorter length of the ACC’s grant of rights, will make the ACC that much more vulnerable to getting poached.

Here's some good info in regards to the Big 12's new contract vs the ACC. And also some foreshadowing that we all know is on the horizon:

from a Q&A in the Athletic

How much damage does that new Big 12 media deal do to the ACC? Obviously, none of these deals help the ACC’s financial situation, but does it make things any worse? — BD G.

Fortuna: BD, I’m not sure the Big 12’s new deal makes matters worse for the ACC financially so much as it just reiterates how long of a holding pattern its members are in with their current deal. Remember, the ACC’s deal with ESPN runs through 2035-36. The deal that the Big 12 is about to sign expires in 2030-31. The expected $31 million per school annual average is impressive in the sense that the Big 12 was able to land that much money without Oklahoma and Texas in the fold anymore, but it is still less than what ACC schools get.

Of note, Sports Business Journal’s John Ourand wrote: “ESPN took pains to make sure that its Big 12 deal would not result in a bigger per-school payout than the ACC.” So the Worldwide Leader certainly values its relationship with the ACC. The real problem for the ACC could come during the next round of media rights negotiations, where everyone — the Big Ten (expires in 2029-30), Big 12 (2030-31), SEC (2033-34) and likely the Pac-12 — will be up for renewal before the ACC’s current deal expires. By that point, perhaps the difference in payouts from other conferences, coupled with the shorter length of the ACC’s grant of rights, will make the ACC that much more vulnerable to getting poached.
This is one of those mind blowing statements that is rooted in, "everyone wants to leave the ACC" despite the fact that those schools are still in better shape than two of the other four P5 conferences and nobody really knows how the ACC deal is actually constructed outside of the GOR. Also ignores the fact that the ACC might just poach a couple of schools for itself to re-do its own deal around 2027 or so. Nothing is for certain but the assumptions are really amusing.

Everyone in every conference besides the P2 want to leave so that shouldn't be surprising. The ACC's long-term TV deal in an era of an absolute explosion in college sports TV rights + rabid worldwide inflation has killed the league long-term as it will no longer exist in its current form when the GOR can be dealt with. The irony though is if they went with a short term deal with GORs ending soon, FSU, Clemson and company would already have accepted P2 invites.

What the ACC needs to do is somehow add the best of the B12/P12 so that it can be the best league after the P2.

Everyone in every conference besides the P2 want to leave so that shouldn't be surprising. The ACC's long-term TV deal in an era of an absolute explosion in college sports TV rights + rabid worldwide inflation has killed the league long-term as it will no longer exist in its current form when the GOR can be dealt with. The irony though is if they went with a short term deal with GORs ending soon, FSU, Clemson and company would already have accepted P2 invites.

What the ACC needs to do is somehow add the best of the B12/P12 so that it can be the best league after the P2.
It is hard because look at Wake right now. That is a good program. A really good one. I think it is also one completely coach dependent. But honestly, what some of these conferences need to do to create a strong 3rd Power conference is jettison the Duke's, Wake, etc.....

But I am afraid it is going to be a blue conference and a red conference. Blue of good, academic and urban schools, who play sports up to a certain level, and red which are the WVU's, Baylor's, ASU's, OK State's, Clemson, VT, etc....

Too bad universities don't put this much effort and place this much importance on what they're in the business of.....educating young people. These salaries and monies that are being discussed for sports are obscene and totally out of whack. Of course, it'd driven by the corrupt media, which makes sense. College sports is all about greed and corruption now. It's a shell of what it was and it's a shame.

Too bad universities don't put this much effort and place this much importance on what they're in the business of.....educating young people. These salaries and monies that are being discussed for sports are obscene and totally out of whack. Of course, it'd driven by the corrupt media, which makes sense. College sports is all about greed and corruption now. It's a shell of what it was and it's a shame.
It's not driven by the media at all. It's driven by schools that use sports to fleece its alumni. It's been that way at the blue bloods for a long time. The TV money is just part of that escalation.

It's not driven by the media at all. It's driven by schools that use sports to fleece its alumni. It's been that way at the blue bloods for a long time. The TV money is just part of that escalation.

I know it's never going to happen. But if gullible alumni would quit contributing to these bloated, overfunded major sports programs, the universities could get back to what their mission is. But the media is still part of the corruption and it's getting to be a bigger part of it every year. This train is down the track too far now for it to turn back.

I refused to be fleeced by Pitt a few years ago by discontinuing my contributions to their sports programs and redirecting all of that money to education and specific schools at Pitt. I know they don't give a rat's a$$ about my contributions and it's not going to change anything, but it still felt good to do the right thing.

Just to point something out, Pitt's total budget, operating and capital, is approximately $3.4B. Pitt's athletic department budget the last I saw was just a hair under $100M. So a little less than 3% of Pitt's yearly expenditures are for athletics.

Reactions: pittdan77 and bwh05
ADVERTISEMENT