ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 vs Pac 12: who survives

The ACC is going to have its top programs picked apart by the SEC and B10. That leaves The ACC remainders scrambling. I wouldn’t want to be Pitt.
Well, now there’s a well thought out post. By a fan of another school, who happens to be in worse shape than any ACC member.

New Year Smiling GIF

Well, now there’s a well thought out post. By a fan of another school, who happens to be in worse shape than any ACC member.

New Year Smiling GIF
We shall see how it pans out. Im
Not terribly concerned. But it’s not unreasonable to conclude the ACC gets picked apart. My guess is Clemson, FSU, UNC, Virginia.

I guess b12 gets PAC remainders.

I’m a season ticket holder but my life doesn’t depend on this stuff. I’m still on a college playoff and Superbowl high! What about you?

Last edited:
Not terribly concerned. But it’s not unreasonable to conclude the ACC gets picked apart. My guess is Clemson, FSU, UNC, Virginia.

I’m a season ticket holder but my life doesn’t depend on this stuff. I’m still on a playoff and Superboel high! What about you?
A Superboel high must be packed with some good gunja.

I’m a season ticket holder but my life doesn’t depend on this stuff. I’m still on a college playoff and Superbowl high! What about you?
I can’t control any of it, so I‘m not at all worried.

Pitt has always been in the highest level of college football, and I don’t see anything changing on that front.

If I were you, I wouldn’t bet the farm on the Big Xll remaining stable.

Reactions: singregardless
A Superboel high must be packed with some good gunja.
It is. It was fun. It’s just a game. Dallas was fun as well, even though Dallas sucks big ones. I’d rather spend a weekend in Pittsburgh

I have family in Pittsburgh but I don’t see them when I visit. The view from the Ft Pitt tunnel is stunning. Primantis sucks

…thinking that college football will have East and West super conferences(football only). It‘s basically semi-pro now with the NIL. The non-revenue sports will have retain traditional regional conferences to function. Can you imagine the Rutgers baseball coach telling the team to pack up the vans for a 2-3 day drive out to LA, to play UCLA and USC for consecutive weekend series and 2-3 days back? The transportation costs for the non-revenue (Olympic)…just doesn’t make sense. guessing there will be many programs cut.
Conferences already deal with this. Teams become "travel partners" to cut down on costs. UCLA and USC volleyball can fly together to Indianapolis on Thursday. USC plays Purude on Friday then Indiana on Sunday. UCLA plays Indiana Friday and Purdue Sunday, then they fly back with USC Sunday night.

For a lot of sports, like track, golf and swimming, the west coast teams compete in local meets/tournaments all season. They will only fly out east for thr conference tournaments.

Lol. Kansas. They haven’t figured that football drives the bus. A national brand, but only in basketball.. I’d be shocked - shocked I say - if the B10 wants them.

The problem with Pitt is the B10 Is the absolute best fit but they already have a PA team.

I’m thinking the B10 goes for Oregon, UNC, VA, maybe Stanford instead

these are crazy, unsteady times, indeed.

edited to add: I’m drunk in Lexington, KY. . It’s no Pittsburgh but I’m having fun. A quick 75 minutes from Cincy. Horse farm country from Paris to Lexington is absolutely stunning.

Last edited:
Lol. Kansas. They haven’t figured that football drives the bus. A national brand, but only in basketball.. I’d be shocked - shocked I say - if the B10 wants them.

The problem with Pitt is the B10 Is the absolute best fit but they already have a PA team.

edited to add: I’m drunk in Lexington, KY. . It’s no Pittsburgh but I’m having fun. A quick 75 minutes from Cincy. Horse farm country from Paris to Lexington is absolutely beautiful
A HS friend went to UK. It’s a fun town as a college student.

Both conferences can survive, but both will also lose quite a bit of appeal without USC/UCLA and TEXAS/OKLA.

In order to maintain power 5 status, one of the conferences will probably need to poach from the other.

The PAC has a better base IMO. With 10 quality schools remaining, they could attempt to lure anywhere from 4-6 B12 schools. If I were in charge, I'd entertain the idea of adding BYU, TX TECH, BAYLOR, and OKLA ST. This, of course ignores the fact that 2 of the schools are religious and the 2 publics don't have the kind of academic cache that the PAC seems to desire.

The B12 will have 12 schools. It's ironic that the B12 is adding 4 schools to their conference already. That doesn't give them as much leeway to offer PAC schools.

The ACC could also play a role in this. While the ACC might decide to stand pat, they potentially could alter the dynamic by deciding to add WVU and BAYLOR.

In the end, there's a lot to be said for staying in one's own region of the country. I think those California schools are going to face logistic nightmares in everything except football when they begin transporting all their other teams across the continental United States. That is a lot of time and mileage to navigate in the middle of the week.

Can you imagine the Rutgers baseball coach telling the team to pack up the vans for a 2-3 day drive out to LA, to play UCLA and USC for consecutive weekend series and 2-3 days back? The transportation costs for the non-revenue (Olympic)…just doesn’t make sense. guessing there will be many programs cut.
That van trip would be longer than 2-3 days each way. I moved from Pittsburgh to Southern California driving my stuff in a U-Haul. Started out on Monday; got here on Friday. Whomever is driving those vans would have to make overnight stops to sleep like I did.

🤨

Not to mention that the Pittsburgh metro has about 1 million more people than the Louisville metro. Doesn't this writer have an editor?

edited to add: I’m drunk in Lexington, KY. . It’s no Pittsburgh but I’m having fun. A quick 75 minutes from Cincy. Horse farm country from Paris to Lexington is absolutely stunning.
You missed his dig. You spelled Pittsburg without the H, which is in the state of Kansas. Pittsburgh in Pa is with the H.

Kansas basketball is much more valuable than Cincy or WVU football. Plus, even though their football sucks, they bring a great market in KC and they might not suck forever. They finished in the Top 5 in 2009 or whatever.

You care so little you came over to another teams message board on the 4th of July to humble brag on losing a Superbowl and a college playoff game? And for being in a conference (soon) with a worse outcome expected than the ACC?

With six Superbowl wins, a participation trophy doesn't excite us.

Having won national championships in college football, being a runner-up doesn't mean much.

You care so little you came over to another teams message board on the 4th of July to humble brag on losing a Superbowl and a college playoff game? And for being in a conference (soon) with a worse outcome expected than the ACC?

With six Superbowl wins, a participation trophy doesn't excite us.

Having won national championships in college football, being a runner-up doesn't mean much.
Bungles fans need to prolly stay in their lane.

Little success and they talk smack…just like Brownie fans.

Not to mention that the Pittsburgh metro has about 1 million more people than the Louisville metro. Doesn't this writer have an editor?
No, a reminder that the current “Sports Illustrated” is a clickbait farm and not the SI of our youth.

The number of worthless speculation and wild scenario articles written over the weekend for about $40 a piece have everyone twisted up. It's not like CBS doesn't have their own interests or anything, either.

If there are going to be two super conferences then it's preordained who will be in them by the TV people. They already know who they want, where. There are also some schools that don't want anything to do with it. That sounds shocking but it's very likely true since some of these institutions want nothing to do with becoming semi-pro stooges to big TV.

Not to mention that Louisville has been an embarrassing dumpster fire since joining the acc
Louisville just comes off as a poor fit in the ACC in my opinion- geographically, academically, and culturally. Maybe it’s just because I was disappointed when Maryland left for the Big Ten; I was hoping we could develop a nice football series with them.

Ahhh, in my defense I corrected my error immediately after posting. He caught it very quickly. Fat finger phone typing.
It’s all good; just messing with ya.

Edit to add: Pittsburg State in Pittsburg, Kansas is the one to get after for trying to steal the Pitt script.

It’s all good; just messing with ya.

Edit to add: Pittsburg State in Pittsburg, Kansas is the one to get after for trying to steal the Pitt script.
We live about an hour north of Pittsburg, KS. Lots of Pittsburg State alums in the KC metro area. Gets a little confusing when you go to talk college sports… :oops:

It is. It was fun. It’s just a game. Dallas was fun as well, even though Dallas sucks big ones. I’d rather spend a weekend in Pittsburgh

I have family in Pittsburgh but I don’t see them when I visit. The view from the Ft Pitt tunnel is stunning. Primantis sucks
Skyline, Gold Star, Blue Ash or Pleasant Ridge?

All the fan blogs, even the Pac 12 ones seem to say that the Pac 12 teams will be going to the Big 12. While I realize that nobody does fake news and propoganda like the Big 12, I still have to ask myself why this is even a consideration for Pac 12 schools. They have their own network already, which yea, I know has been troubled and they just lost their 2 biggest brands and a huge market. But why would they sign up to fly teams to Iowa, Ohio, WV, and FL? There are no big brands left in the Big 12. I would think they could add OM St and some Texas schools from the Big 12 and call it a day.

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
All the fan blogs, even the Pac 12 ones seem to say that the Pac 12 teams will be going to the Big 12. While I realize that nobody does fake news and propoganda like the Big 12, I still have to ask myself why this is even a consideration for Pac 12 schools. They have their own network already, which yea, I know has been troubled and they just lost their 2 biggest brands and a huge market. But why would they sign up to fly teams to Iowa, Ohio, WV, and FL? There are no big brands left in the Big 12. I would think they could add OM St and some Texas schools from the Big 12 and call it a day.
No they haven’t. I’ve paid very close attention to blogs of other PAC institutions. Nearly all of them think they’re “too good” for the XII, which is laughable…unless you are UW or Oregon in PAC or Clemson or UNC in the ACC.

Those 4 programs (Washington not as much as other 3) are markedly better, in pretty much all ways, than any XII team. The rest of the schools in those conferences are level or beneath most of the XII, which has a very deep number of “average” brands. FSU is probably slightly higher too given geography, brand, etc but not as much as other 4.

There are a number of PAC and ACC program fans who truly don’t understand that they are simply along for the ride with the superiors in the conference….especially Utah. Delusional fans.

LOL...I was drunk in Lexington last Thursday.

Let us know when you see a title from either?

No they haven’t. I’ve paid very close attention to blogs of other PAC institutions. Nearly all of them think they’re “too good” for the XII, which is laughable…unless you are UW or Oregon in PAC or Clemson or UNC in the ACC.

Those 4 programs (Washington not as much as other 3) are markedly better, in pretty much all ways, than any XII team. The rest of the schools in those conferences are level or beneath most of the XII, which has a very deep number of “average” brands. FSU is probably slightly higher too given geography, brand, etc but not as much as other 4.

There are a number of PAC and ACC program fans who truly don’t understand that they are simply along for the ride with the superiors in the conference….especially Utah. Delusional fans.
I need to ask, since UNC hasn't won an ACC football title since 1980. They haven't finished in the top 10 since 1997. They won the Coastal once (and we have twice despite Carolina having an 8 year head start). Their fans are somewhat ambivalent towards football. So what makes their program so good??

Reactions: singregardless
I need to ask, since UNC hasn't won an ACC football title since 1980. They haven't finished in the top 10 since 1997. They won the Coastal once (and we have twice despite Carolina having an 8 year head start). Their fans are somewhat ambivalent towards football. So what makes their program so good??
I think it’s the brand more than the program itself. The shift in realignment from markets (which UNC also has) to eyeballs watching benefits the Tar Heels because of their nationwide fanbase for basketball. There’s always the potential that if they get good in football, those fans will also become UNC football fans. On top of that, they have pretty good facilities, are located in a very fertile recruiting ground, and have a large enrollment and alum network (booster $).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT