ADVERTISEMENT

Big crowd Friday?

Well, I found 2 Pitt fans to buy 2 of my extras at face value! I can vouch for SMF's account of the scalping racket. My neighbor was a PGH Police detective 10-15 years ago when a major scalping ring was busted. Some dirty cops and former cops were involved.

Well, I found 2 Pitt fans to buy 2 of my extras at face value! I can vouch for SMF's account of the scalping racket. My neighbor was a PGH Police detective 10-15 years ago when a major scalping ring was busted. Some dirty cops and former cops were involved.

It is legal now though.

It is only lega with the proper permits. The police still do stings on illegal operations all the time.

Pitt has few, if any tickets listed on Stubhub
LOL! Like I said they control the price and number of tickets released. For instance I like to sit in section 106, and Stubhub will say, Hurry there are only 6 tickets left!!!! As soon as those 6 are gone, 20 more get released by the school. It is like clockwork. Trust me, I watch this closely. Then I get to the game and the section that was supposedly close to being sold out on stubhub is only 1/5 full.

Then they are throwing good money away because lowers are selling like hotcakes.

And its not possible to have only 20K people at an event with secondary market values this high. What happens is the people who weren't going to go, all of a sudden find out how much their tickets are worth and sell them.

Where are the tickets going, if they are selling like hotcakes? I doubt very much they are selling like hotcakes, at least not to any extent that will impact crowd size by more than maybe 5,000.

Unfortunately, whoever said this game will be watched by a bunch of empty yellow seats was sadly correct. The UNC game was bad. This will be worse.

So now we're saying there are going to be 40,000 Miami fans at Heinz Field for this game? LOL!

The tickets may be selling, but there won't be butts in the seats come game time.

LOL! Like I said they control the price and number of tickets released. For instance I like to sit in section 106, and Stubhub will say, Hurry there are only 6 tickets left!!!! As soon as those 6 are gone, 20 more get released by the school. It is like clockwork. Trust me, I watch this closely. Then I get to the game and the section that was supposedly close to being sold out on stubhub is only 1/5 full.

It is only half full, because the season ticket holders stayed home. The lower bowl is practically sold out for all games through season tickets [as are the Clubs]. Pitt has little to no inventory in these sections to sell, even if they wanted to do so. So your observations are largely completely wrong. The price in the Club and lower bowl is driven by those season ticket holders that list their tickets [and the demand for the game]. Hail to Pitt!

It is only half full, because the season ticket holders stayed home. The lower bowl is practically sold out for all games through season tickets [as are the Clubs]. Pitt has little to no inventory in these sections to sell, even if they wanted to do so. So your observations are largely completely wrong. The price in the Club and lower bowl is driven by those season ticket holders that list their tickets [and the demand for the game]. Hail to Pitt!
If the lower bowl is really sold out, which I don't believe, then the season ticket holders are pathetic. The lower bowl turnout hasn't been any good in years.

If the lower bowl is really sold out, which I don't believe, then the season ticket holders are pathetic. The lower bowl turnout hasn't been any good in years.

Be certain, the lower bowl is practically sold out [which also includes the bulk of the student seats]. Saying that Pitt's season ticket holders are pathetic is day old bread...that has been known for several decades. Bottom line, Pitt has next to ZERO impact on secondary market place ticket prices. Hail to Pitt!

I had 4 lower bowl extras in my group on Stubhub for days for UNC with the minimum allowed listing price of $6 and they never sold. I am out of town Friday and sold all 7 of my seats and then sold the 4 freebies from Pitt within an hour or less of each posting for $30+ per seat.

Be certain, the lower bowl is practically sold out [which also includes the bulk of the student seats]. Saying that Pitt's season ticket holders are pathetic is day old bread...that has been known for several decades. Bottom line, Pitt has next to ZERO impact on secondary market place ticket prices. Hail to Pitt!
PITTLAW how many people do you project for the Miami game. I ask you since you're one of the few intelligent, somewhat sane, and reliable posters on the site.

I had 4 lower bowl extras in my group on Stubhub for days for UNC with the minimum allowed listing price of $6 and they never sold. I am out of town Friday and sold all 7 of my seats and then sold the 4 freebies from Pitt within an hour or less of each posting for $30+ per seat.

I sold 2 of my 4 UNC freebies for the $6 minimum. The other 2 didn't sell.

I sold 2 Miami freebies for 39.99 within a few hours. The other 2 within 36 hours. There is a very clearly an exponentially greater demand for this game than UNC

The thing I don't understand about Pitt season ticket holders is:

1. Are they that rich that they can afford to just refuse free money? Pitt is saying, "here's $150, just click these buttons."

2. If they are that rich, why are our donation levels so low?

3. Are they just really stupid and don't know how to use a computer or even know about these secondary market sites.

A game of this demand should not have any empty lower bowl seats. The demand is so great that it is worth your while to sell. If you dont want to bother getting 10 or 15 bucks foe another game fine, but if you dont use or sell your tickets for this game, you'rw either very rich or very stupid.

Reactions: JoseLind13
PITTLAW how many people do you project for the Miami game. I ask you since you're one of the few intelligent, somewhat sane, and reliable posters on the site.

A couple observations before I answer. First, Pitt has never drawn particularly well on the day after Thanksgiving, unless it was a big rival game [or for a conference championship]. Second, Pitt nearly always gets a bit smaller crowd when it is a 12 kick. Other factors to consider, you have a 4-7 record, weather is supposed to be sunny and mid/upper 40's, big name and ranked opponent, lack of Pitt star power on the roster, and finally--students are on Thanksgiving break. My estimate is they will announce 38,000. I do not think Pitt is quite as bad as it used to be in providing attendance figures, but I still think they choose a number higher than what is really there. Hope I am wrong...but I expect about half a house. Hail to Pitt!

Gotta be Miami fans. I'm the only one going in my party of 4. Everyone else is working/spending time with family and I can't give my extras away. I've asked over 30 people who are Pitt grads and/or casual fans and there is zero interest in this game.

That's weird. I have family members out of town and returning college students in neighborhood asked if I could get them tickets. I snatched up the four extra and gave to those kids. I also gave 4 to work associates and still bringing 4 people. I can use those tickets

A couple observations before I answer. First, Pitt has never drawn particularly well on the day after Thanksgiving, unless it was a big rival game [or for a conference championship]. Second, Pitt nearly always gets a bit smaller crowd when it is a 12 kick. Other factors to consider, you have a 4-7 record, weather is supposed to be sunny and mid/upper 40's, big name and ranked opponent, lack of Pitt star power on the roster, and finally--students are on Thanksgiving break. My estimate is they will announce 38,000. I do not think Pitt is quite as bad as it used to be in providing attendance figures, but I still think they choose a number higher than what is really there. Hope I am wrong...but I expect about half a house. Hail to Pitt!

That's realistic IMO. If there's more than 35K there, I'd be shocked.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
That's weird. I have family members out of town and returning college students in neighborhood asked if I could get them tickets. I snatched up the four extra and gave to those kids. I also gave 4 to work associates and still bringing 4 people. I can use those tickets
I think the issue is that my seats are up high in the EZ, not really the best seats. I have one left but my bro-in-law says he might take it. He said the same thing for NC and I ate it when he stiffed me at the last minute. I easily found 4 people for the freebies last week. I invited a bunch of German exchange students that I know. They enjoyed the Alma Mater and little else.

Reactions: Pitt MD
The fallacy assumes that the no shows are not season ticket holders. my section 233 club is primo location that whole section is sold out. but since ok st it is a 1/3 full. those are season tickets that bailed. on us. we have more than 20K season ticket holders they just don't all show

Selling tickets on the street corner is legal in Pittsburgh. So long as they are sold for face value or less. Selling them for above face value is scalping, and that is illegal.

Why would someone spend the money for season tickets and not go? If you are a passionate fan you support your team through thick and thin. It blows my mind. Especially when it is a team like Pitt Football where you know that you can buy tickets to any game you want, on the secondary market, at anytime for most likely a cheaper price than even the season ticket discount (I'm not even factoring in the donation for lower level).

Until the tarps arrive and capacity shrinks, I have no idea what someone's motivation would be for buying a season ticket.

Why would someone spend the money for season tickets and not go? If you are a passionate fan you support your team through thick and thin. It blows my mind. Especially when it is a team like Pitt Football where you know that you can buy tickets to any game you want, on the secondary market, at anytime for most likely a cheaper price than even the season ticket discount (I'm not even factoring in the donation for lower level).

Until the tarps arrive and capacity shrinks, I have no idea what someone's motivation would be for buying a season ticket.

That's why I say season ticket holders who don't go are either rich, stupid, or both.

Some of us buy season tickets to support the team, student athletes, program and University. Some of us like sitting in the same place, where we have made friends, clients and acquaintances with others who support the Panthers. Frankly, if you are a Pitt fan, I CANNOT UNDERSTAND why you WOULD NOT BUY SEASON TICKETS. Season tickets are a bargain, and if you cannot use them, there is always a secondary market for those tickets [especially if you have seats located in a good location]. Pitt's problem is that there are too many people like you...rather than those of us that bleed blue and gold and buy tickets from Pitt. Hail to Pitt!

That's why I say season ticket holders who don't go are either rich, stupid, or both.

There are lots of season ticket holders that buy them to support the program...and they use what they can fit into their schedule. If those people cannot use them, they either give them to friends or clients...or sell them in the secondary marketplace [or they go unused]. If I have an extra ticket when I get to the stadium...I'd rather keep in my pocket than sell it to a scalper and end up with some freak sitting beside me or near me in the stadium. Honestly, the tickets are probably too cheap. For those of us that have a decent job paying $60 for a club seat to see Pitt play Miami, as opposed to $120 for the same ticket...is of very little relevance in the scheme of our finances. PS I never miss a football game. Hail to Pitt!

Reactions: ThePanthers
Ticket values are rapidly increasing on Stubhub. I sold my 4 free ones for $39.99 each but probably should have waited. May have been able to get $50 or $60 each.

The Pitt website does not have any lowers available. I am wondering if long-suffering bandwagon Miami fans within a 5-6 hour radius are all coming. 10K Miami fans? 15K? 50K total?
Ticket values are rapidly increasing on Stubhub. I sold my 4 free ones for $39.99 each but probably should have waited. May have been able to get $50 or $60 each.

The Pitt website does not have any lowers available. I am wondering if long-suffering bandwagon Miami fans within a 5-6 hour radius are all coming. 10K Miami fans? 15K? 50K total?

Sean, How do you deliver those tickets?

Penn State doesn't allow them. Why do you think that is?
Are you just flat out lying or trying to make a joke? Scalpers are illegal everywhere. However, every major event I've ever been to has what we refer to as scalpers. These are people that either buy and resell tickets at the event AND/OR have a set of season ticket holders that ask them to resell as best they can at the event. At Beaver Stadium you'll find the vast majority of said "scalpers" outside the North East gate, usually along Park Avenue and Porter Road. They are there because most of the lots in that area are general public parking and those are the mostly people to need tickets.

Selling tickets on the street corner is legal in Pittsburgh. So long as they are sold for face value or less. Selling them for above face value is scalping, and that is illegal.

That is absolutely, positively NOT the way the scalping law is.

First of all, in the state of Pennsylvania there is NO limit on the amount of money a scalper can charge for a ticket. None. The old law used to be no more than 25% above face value, but that law was replaced a decade ago. Secondly, in Pittsburgh you supposedly need to have a license to sell tickets on the street, but there are no more than a couple of people who ever apply for the license. And if you are scalping in person and you do not have a license you are supposed to only sell your tickets in a designated area. On the North Side that area is between the two stadium, underneath one of the overpasses, on Tony Dorsett Drive. Pretty much no one ever stands in the designated zone to sell their tickets, because there is no real foot traffic in that area.

First of all, in the state of Pennsylvania there is NO limit on the amount of money a scalper can charge for a ticket. None. The old law used to be no more than 25% above face value, but that law was replaced a decade ago. Secondly, in Pittsburgh you supposedly need to have a license to sell tickets on the street, but there are no more than a couple of people who ever apply for the license. And if you are scalping in person and you do not have a license you are supposed to only sell your tickets in a designated area. On the North Side that area is between the two stadium, underneath one of the overpasses, on Tony Dorsett Drive. Pretty much no one ever stands in the designated zone to sell their tickets, because there is no real foot traffic in that area.

Mrs Buffett and I have witnessed scalpers who wander ( out of their area) down the walkway to the stadium attempting to sell tickets and the Great and I mean Great Pittsburgh police arrest them and drag them away!
The scalpers like the "fake" homeless on that same walkway should be removed!

Mrs Buffett and I have witnessed scalpers who wander ( out of their area) down the walkway to the stadium attempting to sell tickets and the Great and I mean Great Pittsburgh police arrest them and drag them away!
The scalpers like the "fake" homeless on that same walkway should be removed!

There certainly are very rare occasions where people scalping tickets outside the designated area do get arrested. Usually it's because they get caught selling fake tickets or are doing something else to cause problems, and arresting them for scalping without a license outside the designated area is an easy way to get them off the street. On the other hand, there are people at every game who are scalping tickets outside the designated area literally a few steps away from a police officer without getting arrested.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead

Here's a 2010 article that states that it is illegal to charge $5 or 25% higher, whichever is more. It may have changed since then.

Thanks for the correction.

http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/pirates/s_686579.html

Some of us buy season tickets to support the team, student athletes, program and University. Some of us like sitting in the same place, where we have made friends, clients and acquaintances with others who support the Panthers. Frankly, if you are a Pitt fan, I CANNOT UNDERSTAND why you WOULD NOT BUY SEASON TICKETS. Season tickets are a bargain, and if you cannot use them, there is always a secondary market for those tickets [especially if you have seats located in a good location]. Pitt's problem is that there are too many people like you...rather than those of us that bleed blue and gold and buy tickets from Pitt. Hail to Pitt!
Amen.

I will explain, I live 4.5 hours from Pittsburgh. We have season tickets and we never missed a game until after Pederson came back and chased Wanny out, once he felt comfortable, knew he would go after Wanny, that's his way, he had to chill for a while, after being chased out of his home school. Anyhow, we knew then Pitt was rudderless, so even though we have season tickets , we save about 400 a trip when we don't go, so we don't waste our Saturdays when we have something better to do and cheaper. I would have never thought I would be where I am today just 10 years ago.

I have had season tickets on 2 separate occasions, bub. But then I realized it made no sense when I could buy better seats to almost every game for 6 to 10 bucks.

I also had Pens season tickets for the first 7 years of Crosby's career, but was gradually priced out dude to the insane increase in price each and every year.

So don't tell me that I don't support local teams. I just have common sense.

ADVERTISEMENT