ADVERTISEMENT

Big crowd Friday?

That is absolutely, positively NOT the way the scalping law is.

First of all, in the state of Pennsylvania there is NO limit on the amount of money a scalper can charge for a ticket. None. The old law used to be no more than 25% above face value, but that law was replaced a decade ago. Secondly, in Pittsburgh you supposedly need to have a license to sell tickets on the street, but there are no more than a couple of people who ever apply for the license. And if you are scalping in person and you do not have a license you are supposed to only sell your tickets in a designated area. On the North Side that area is between the two stadium, underneath one of the overpasses, on Tony Dorsett Drive. Pretty much no one ever stands in the designated zone to sell their tickets, because there is no real foot traffic in that area.

Here's a 2010 article that states that it is illegal to charge $5 or 25% higher, whichever is more. It may have changed since then.

Thanks for the correction.

http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/pirates/s_686579.html

It changed. You can sell for however much you want as long as you have a license and stay a designated amount of feet away from the venue.

Ticket values are rapidly increasing on Stubhub. I sold my 4 free ones for $39.99 each but probably should have waited. May have been able to get $50 or $60 each.

The Pitt website does not have any lowers available. I am wondering if long-suffering bandwagon Miami fans within a 5-6 hour radius are all coming. 10K Miami fans? 15K? 50K total?
Ticket values are rapidly increasing on Stubhub. I sold my 4 free ones for $39.99 each but probably should have waited. May have been able to get $50 or $60 each.

The Pitt website does not have any lowers available. I am wondering if long-suffering bandwagon Miami fans within a 5-6 hour radius are all coming. 10K Miami fans? 15K? 50K total?

Sean, How do you deliver those tickets?

Type in the barcode # and its converted to an e-ticket

Why would someone spend the money for season tickets and not go? If you are a passionate fan you support your team through thick and thin. It blows my mind. Especially when it is a team like Pitt Football where you know that you can buy tickets to any game you want, on the secondary market, at anytime for most likely a cheaper price than even the season ticket discount (I'm not even factoring in the donation for lower level).

Until the tarps arrive and capacity shrinks, I have no idea what someone's motivation would be for buying a season ticket.
Because life gets in the way.

I’ve always had season tickets since graduation.

Spent 15 years in North Carolina and missed most games. Donated my tickets to Ticket for Kids most years.

It was our way to support the program.
Donations and season ticket sales .

Is that so unbelievable to you?

Because life gets in the way.

I’ve always had season tickets since graduation.

Spent 15 years in North Carolina and missed most games. Donated my tickets to Ticket for Kids most years.

It was our way to support the program.
Donations and season ticket sales .

Is that so unbelievable to you?
That is very nice of you Souf. I suspect that you are the exception and not the rule. What you did was awesome, not just OK. H2P

Really, you sell gifts. That says it all. Classless

I have had season tickets on 2 separate occasions, bub. But then I realized it made no sense when I could buy better seats to almost every game for 6 to 10 bucks.

I also had Pens season tickets for the first 7 years of Crosby's career, but was gradually priced out dude to the insane increase in price each and every year.

So don't tell me that I don't support local teams. I just have common sense.

You are not a supporter of the University of Pittsburgh or its athletic programs if you buy tickets from anyone other than Pitt. PERIOD! If you are too poor to afford tickets from Pitt, you have many more serious issues to confront with your life than going to a college football game. College athletics is not the same as professional sports. Sorry, but guys like you are a big part of Pitt's problem. Hail to Pitt!

You are not a supporter of the University of Pittsburgh or its athletic programs if you buy tickets from anyone other than Pitt. PERIOD! If you are too poor to afford tickets from Pitt, you have many more serious issues to confront with your life than going to a college football game. College athletics is not the same as professional sports. Sorry, but guys like you are a big part of Pitt's problem. Hail to Pitt!
HAHAHA not even close.

where exactly did the tickets I am nefariously buying come from?

if you don't give to Saint Jude's you hate kids....Period! Hey, this blanket statement stuff is fun.

Going to the game on the cheap and cheering on the team is always better than not showing up or not financially supporting the school at all. My 2 Cents.

Going to the game on the cheap and cheering on the team is always better than not showing up or not financially supporting the school at all. My 2 Cents.
I think you failed to see the word 'period' in all caps...you have no input in the matter as it is settled law.

I think you failed to see the word 'period' in all caps...you have no input in the matter as it is settled law.
EXCLAMATION POINT!
Period.

I would be fine with placing blow up dolls in the seats at this point if it reduced the amount of negative publicity we get from those empty, yellow seats.

where exactly did the tickets I am nefariously buying come from?

if you don't give to Saint Jude's you hate kids....Period! Hey, this blanket statement stuff is fun.

You are not really supporting Pitt when you purchase tickets from a source other than Pitt. Sure, Pitt made the first sale...but the second sale does not benefit Pitt...it benefits the seller. I guess on balance it is better to attend the game and cheer for the team than not to do so...but you really cannot call yourself a supporter of the program if you are buying tickets from someone other than Pitt*. If things are so tough that you must save a few dollars of the face value of a Pitt sports ticket, like I said, you have some major issues that need addressed in your life. Hail to Pitt!

* If you get your tickets through a season ticket holder and pay for them, even though you do not purchase directly through Pitt, I would not include you in my view of being a non-supporter. I do this for a number of friends that either cannot or will not make the $500 contribution for the right to purchase a ticket.

gotta think he cannot be a defense attorney with those kinds of morality chops...wonder if he refuses free tickets on moral grounds.
He is showing his true colors just like @CrazyPaco did a few weeks back. They think they are so much better than everyone else, when in reality they are miserable and cranky old men.

You are not really supporting Pitt when you purchase tickets from a source other than Pitt. Sure, Pitt made the first sale...but the second sale does not benefit Pitt...it benefits the seller. I guess on balance it is better to attend the game and cheer for the team than not to do so...but you really cannot call yourself a supporter of the program if you are buying tickets from someone other than Pitt*. If things are so tough that you must save a few dollars of the face value of a Pitt sports ticket, like I said, you have some major issues that need addressed in your life. Hail to Pitt!

* If you get your tickets through a season ticket holder and pay for them, even though you do not purchase directly through Pitt, I would not include you in my view of being a non-supporter. I do this for a number of friends that either cannot or will not make the $500 contribution for the right to purchase a ticket.
Sure, Pitt made the first sale.....uh, so the ticket was sold by Pitt....I did good then. Listen, counselor, no lectures to me as I write 17 grand checks to Pitt twice a year for tuition room and board.....sorry if I spend 8 bucks to be a part of the 30,000 strong at heinz...

gotta think he cannot be a defense attorney with those kinds of morality chops...wonder if he refuses free tickets on moral grounds.

Morality has nothing to do with it. I represent those that pay me to do so, not some secondary market for legal services. I represent plaintiffs and defendants on a regular basis and do so zealously so long as they pay my fees and there is a legal basis to assert their position. Just like most businesses...they do not care too much about who is purchasing their product...so long as they pay for it. Hail to Pitt!

Sure, Pitt made the first sale.....uh, so the ticket was sold by Pitt....I did good then. Listen, counselor, no lectures to me as I write 17 grand checks to Pitt twice a year for tuition room and board.....sorry if I spend 8 bucks to be a part of the 30,000 strong at heinz...

You can rationalize any way you want...and not a lecture, simply my opinion. You simply are not a Pitt athletic supporter if you are purchasing your ticket from someone other than Pitt*. Lots of people love free stuff and to hitch a free ride....great, but it does not make you a supporter. Your tuition checks pay for educational services your child is receiving, not athletics. If $25 for a football ticket from Pitt is a hardship, I'd spend more time focusing on my career and less time chatting here. Hail to Pitt!

You can rationalize any way you want...and not a lecture, simply my opinion. You simply are not a Pitt athletic supporter if you are purchasing your ticket from someone other than Pitt*. Lots of people love free stuff and to hitch a free ride....great, but it does not make you a supporter. Your tuition checks pay for educational services your child is receiving, not athletics. If $25 for a football ticket from Pitt is a hardship, I'd spend more time focusing on my career and less time chatting here. Hail to Pitt!
I get what you are trying to say PITTLAW, but I think it is far fetched to say someone must be poor because they can save hundreds and hundreds of dollars by buying Pitt tickets on the secondary market. Pitt has to do a better job of making being a season ticket holder valuable. If you can (easily) spend 1/4 of what it costs (not even including donations for some seats) to buy season tickets, but still go to every game, that is a Pitt problem and they need to fix it. Programs need big donors who can afford to spend $5K on tickets they could otherwise get for $800, but more than that they need a lot of donors/fans who would be crazy to spend $2000 when they could spend $500. Hell, they would be much better off buying the tickets from the secondary market and cutting a donation check for the difference.

I get what you are trying to say PITTLAW, but I think it is far fetched to say someone must be poor because they can save hundreds and hundreds of dollars by buying Pitt tickets on the secondary market. Pitt has to do a better job of making being a season ticket holder valuable. If you can (easily) spend 1/4 of what it costs (not even including donations for some seats) to buy season tickets, but still go to every game, that is a Pitt problem and they need to fix it. Programs need big donors who can afford to spend $5K on tickets they could otherwise get for $800, but more than that they need a lot of donors/fans who would be crazy to spend $2000 when they could spend $500. Hell, they would be much better off buying the tickets from the secondary market and cutting a donation check for the difference.
Finally, someone else with some common sense! It is totally Pitt's issue that tickets can be had for peanuts, and it is all to the consumer/fans' advantage right now. Put a better product on the field and I wont be able to get the 10 dollar tickets anymore.

Really, you sell gifts. That says it all. Classless
Exactly how is this classless? They give away the free tickets away so that more people come to games. Those seats are still going to be filled and SMF makes money. Win-win.

I disagree about the small crowd thing Friday. While it won't be 50k, I know many people coming in for Thanksgiving, and going to their only game of the year-- Pitt people..

Reactions: jctrack
Well, we shall see. I suspect there will be many more empty yellow seats, as there always are, than butts in them. I know too many Pitt fans who always go to games and who just aren't going to this one. The main reason is that Pitt sucks this year and the interest in Pitt football and basketball has diminished dramatically. No one cares. Why sit outside watching them lose again when you could be doing something productive? Wasting 5 hours on a Thanksgiving weekend like that at a football game is silly in many people's minds. And I do see their point.

I may show up, I may not. I'm just not caring all that much about Pitt lately. This AD and administration have done virtually nothing to promote and market this team. It's their job to generate the interest in the fanbase and it's their fault this is happening, not the fans.

Reactions: vegasgreed
LOL! Like I said they control the price and number of tickets released. For instance I like to sit in section 106, and Stubhub will say, Hurry there are only 6 tickets left!!!! As soon as those 6 are gone, 20 more get released by the school. It is like clockwork. Trust me, I watch this closely. Then I get to the game and the section that was supposedly close to being sold out on stubhub is only 1/5 full.

I gave you 2 follow up posts to see if i could make sense of this rediculous take that Pitt controls pricing on Stubhub

Do you really not understand what a secondary market is?? PITT does not post on stubhub

Also, I have never seen anything but real numbers left on Stubhub. Most of the time they are in the 1000s

ADVERTISEMENT