ADVERTISEMENT

Big Meech joins Pitt staff

Eric_Knopsnyder

Scholarship
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2022
Stoystown, PA
This one has been known since summer, but Pitt made the announcement today. Here's the press release:

Pitt Wrestling Adds Demetrius Thomas to Staff

Two-Time ACC Champion Hired as Director of Operations

PITTSBURGH—
University of Pittsburgh wrestling and head coach Keith Gavin added to the team’s staff this week with the hiring of Pitt great Demetrius Thomas as the program’s Director of Operations.

Since finishing his collegiate career in 2020, Thomas has been training with the Pittsburgh Wrestling Club, and the chance to join Gavin’s coaching staff was an opportunity he couldn’t pass up.

“I’m very excited for this opportunity,” Thomas said. “I’m looking forward to facilitating operations and handling whatever the team needs to help our student-athletes develop and succeed. We have some super talented guys in this wrestling room. The future is very bright with the group of local freshmen now with the team, and I can’t wait to get started.”

Thomas, who became a fan favorite during his time as a Pitt student-athlete and was affectionately known by his nickname “Meech” by teammates and coaches alike, will oversee the team’s day-to-day operations, including meals, travel and planning.

“I’m really glad we were able to add Meech to the staff,” said Coach Gavin. “He’s been a natural leader from the moment he arrived at Pitt. He elevates everyone around him. We hope we can help him achieve his own professional goals as he works to improve our program on a daily basis as well.”

A native of Ferguson, Mo., Thomas transferred to Pitt from William Baptist University in 2018 and immediately emerged as a national contender at heavyweight for the Panthers in his two seasons of eligibility, winning consecutive ACC titles and qualifying for the NCAA Championships each year.

Thomas accrued a 48-8 record during his time at Pitt. He graduated from the University of Pittsburgh and his name was etched on the prestigious Cathedral of Learning Varsity Walk as a winner of the Blue-Gold Award, alongside his fiancé Kayla Lund, a former All-American for Pitt’s volleyball program.

Thomas is the latest recent addition to Pitt’s wrestling staff following Gavin’s five-year contract extension in the offseason. Luke Pletcher was promoted from volunteer assistant to a full-time role as assistant coach, while Jake Wentzel agreed to join the staff as the new volunteer assistant in the room.

Pitt recently unveiled its 2022-23 wrestling schedule, which includes seven exciting dual matchups as well as the Blue-Gold Dual on Friday, Oct. 28 at Fitzgerald Field House.

Reactions: Ryno53
What are the ncaa rules on director of operations training with team? If he can also work on the mat and film that would be a great help.

What are the ncaa rules on director of operations training with team? If he can also work on the mat and film that would be a great help.
Good question. I didn’t know, so I googled it and found something that Georgia’s website that probably applies here:

Non-coaching staff members with sport-specific responsibilities (e.g., administrative assistants, directors of operations, quality control personnel, directors of player development, video coordinators, assistant/associate athletics directors for specific sports), do not have to be included in the institution’s coaching limitations, provided they are not identified as coaches and do not engage in any coaching activities, on-court or on-field activities (e.g., shagging balls, assisting with drills, throwing batting practice, signaling in plays at the direction of a coaching staff member), off-campus recruiting activities or scouting of opponents. The SEC has given us the advice that a violation of this legislation could very well land an institution in an infractions hearing.

If that’s still accurate it sounds like Meech shouldn’t be rolling with anyone or it could lead to an investigation.

Good question. I didn’t know, so I googled it and found something that Georgia’s website that probably applies here:

Non-coaching staff members with sport-specific responsibilities (e.g., administrative assistants, directors of operations, quality control personnel, directors of player development, video coordinators, assistant/associate athletics directors for specific sports), do not have to be included in the institution’s coaching limitations, provided they are not identified as coaches and do not engage in any coaching activities, on-court or on-field activities (e.g., shagging balls, assisting with drills, throwing batting practice, signaling in plays at the direction of a coaching staff member), off-campus recruiting activities or scouting of opponents. The SEC has given us the advice that a violation of this legislation could very well land an institution in an infractions hearing.

If that’s still accurate it sounds like Meech shouldn’t be rolling with anyone or it could lead to an investigation.
Alumni are exempted from that rule so he can wrestle.

Alumni are exempted from that rule so he can wrestle.
Is he allowed to recruit? Who is the best recruiter on the staff? Coach Gavin has seemed to not exactly have a great personality for recruiting, so it seems like he could use a hand from the assistants in that regard. H2P

ADVERTISEMENT