ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten tells Wash, Ore no and are waiting on ND

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001

Maybe the Big Ten's play was go get ND rival USC to put pressure on ND. If ND joins up, the Big Ten can basically go out and get whoever they want.

So, ND's decision is next. Do they go remain in the ACC/Independent? Or do they go to the Big Ten? If I'm the ACC, I ask ND, "what do we need to do for you to join?" If its like bring Navy, Stanford, keep NBC, etc, you have to do it.

Maybe the Big Ten's play was go get ND rival USC to put pressure on ND. If ND joins up, the Big Ten can basically go out and get whoever they want.

So, ND's decision is next. Do they go remain in the ACC/Independent? Or do they go to the Big Ten? If I'm the ACC, I ask ND, "what do we need to do for you to join?" If its like bring Navy, Stanford, keep NBC, etc, you have to do it.
I think that ND holds out as long as it wants and then joins B1G when it’s determined that their post-season inclusion is jeopardized because of the two mega-conferences forming a playoff.

I think that ND holds out as long as it wants and then joins B1G when it’s determined that their post-season inclusion is jeopardized because of the two mega-conferences forming a playoff.
That would be the hope for the ACC.

I said yesterday the Big Ten wasn't taking Oregon and Washington after the fact. Their "application" was meaningless.

That CBS blog said the Pac 10 is going to explore expansion. If the ACC and P12 dont merge, its going to be a P12 vs B12 battle for survival. Does the P12 add OK St, Kansas, and some Texas schools or does the B12 add P12 schools?

I take a slightly different approach.

If I am the ACC, I say to Notre Dame, we want you to remain independent. Notre dames worst fear would be to be left out of the conversation...but because they have such a reputation they can call the shots. Let's say notre dame joins the acc but then the sec takes fsu and clemson. Notre dame doesn't want that. So they could pull the ultimate power move and get the SEC and big10 make their final plan now. What are they ultimately looking to do. Have 18? 20? 24? teams in their conference. Just make money and care about nothing else? Leave the ncaa and become a pseudo minor league for the NFL. If the sec and big10 break off and do their own thing, are they going to finally tell ND to eff off? I doubt it. They will still be greedy.

So if I am the acc, the right move just might be to align itself with notre dames goals.

Or I could be completely wrong...who knows. Just a different thought while I ate dinner...

Reactions: HailToPitt725

Stanford’s endowment is about 40 Billion Dollars. They still value academics and athletics. They would be a good fit for the ACC and probably accept if the Big 10 doesn’t offer soon. If you can get ND, Navy for football, the better Pac 12 schools, and then open the TV contract up to highest bidder. You might get a large bid from Amazon and provide them a lot of content.

Reactions: Dan1911
I would expect the Big 10 to let Wash and Oregon in. Why wouldn't they? Those are two quality programs. Plus it gives USC and UCLA traditional matchups on their side of the country.

That would be the hope for the ACC.

I said yesterday the Big Ten wasn't taking Oregon and Washington after the fact. Their "application" was meaningless.

That CBS blog said the Pac 10 is going to explore expansion. If the ACC and P12 dont merge, its going to be a P12 vs B12 battle for survival. Does the P12 add OK St, Kansas, and some Texas schools or does the B12 add P12 schools?
Wouldn’t schools like Kansas, OK State, Texas Tech, and Houston be better off in a PAC12 even if Washington and Oregon bolt? The Big 12 with UCF, WVU, Cincy and BYU is so slap dash, plus it’d take Baylor and TCU down some notches recruiting wise.

I would expect the Big 10 to let Wash and Oregon in. Why wouldn't they? Those are two quality programs. Plus it gives USC and UCLA traditional matchups on their side of the country.
If they land Notre Dame the B1G may feel that cutting the money pie up 17 or 18 ways is better than 20 or more.

They would have already. You don't think they were discussed? The Big Ten wants ND and the better ACC schools. They're good for now and will wait for ND, Clemson, FSU, Miami, etc

Wouldn’t schools like Kansas, OK State, Texas Tech, and Houston be better off in a PAC12 even if Washington and Oregon bolt? The Big 12 with UCF, WVU, Cincy and BYU is so slap dash, plus it’d take Baylor and TCU down some notches recruiting wise.
I would think so. The new Big 12 is so helter skelter.

I love when you guys bring up navy football in these conversations. Hey, let’s improve our conference and bring in navy lol. It’s hilarious. Nothing screams big time football to me like navy.

I’ve been to a gsme in Annapolis, I felt like I should have brought a picnic blsnket with me to sit on in the endzone grass.

Reactions: NCanton Panther
They would have already. You don't think they were discussed? The Big Ten wants ND and the better ACC schools. They're good for now and will wait for ND, Clemson, FSU, Miami, etc

They might want just Oregon if Notre Dame accepts an invite and circle back to both Oregon and Washington if Notre Dame does not accept.

Basically, "You can come in, but your ugly friend has to wait outside until we see we're at on capacity."

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
They might want just Oregon if Notre Dame accepts an invite and circle back to both Oregon and Washington if Notre Dame does not accept.

Basically, "You can come in, but your ugly friend has to wait outside until we see we're at on capacity."
FSU, Clem, Miami, UNC > Oregon, Washington. They will go after ACC schools before Oregon and Washington

FSU, Clem, Miami, UNC > Oregon, Washington. They will go after ACC schools before Oregon and Washington
None of those schools matter compared to ND.

Keep up, Sparky.

ND is the last school that’s truly a difference maker in terms of adding $$ to a conference. The rest are net neutral or loss additions.

I do think the B1G ultimately gets to a point where it seeks some of the Southern ACC schools for recruiting and football merit purposes…..but none compare to ND and aren’t in the immediate thoughts.

None of those schools matter compared to ND.

Keep up, Sparky.

ND is the last school that’s truly a difference maker in terms of adding $$ to a conference. The rest are net neutral or loss additions.

I do think the B1G ultimately gets to a point where it seeks some of the Southern ACC schools for recruiting and football merit purposes…..but none compare to ND and aren’t in the immediate thoughts.
They thought Rutgers and Maryland added value. You don't think the state of Florida plus Clemson is more valuable than 2 teams nobody cares about in New Jersey and Maryland?

Basically guarantee ND Big 10 money - include some sort of mechanism that guarantees ND whatever the Big 10’s annual payment is plus an ND premium. Let them call it the ND conference - lol.

They thought Rutgers and Maryland added value. You don't think the state of Florida plus Clemson is more valuable than 2 teams nobody cares about in New Jersey and Maryland?
I didn’t say that.

I’m just saying that ALL of those schools pale in comparison to ND and to speculate that the ACC or PAC schools are better is missing the point.

None bring significant value from the $$ perspective. I do agree that all of them will eventually land in the B1G for a variety of other reasons including recruiting footprint, football merit to combat the significant advantage of the SEC. That still absolutely matters.

But battling over whether Oregon or Washington or a Clemson, etc carries more weight is silly. They’re all the same. Solid programs but not adding to the coffers of a 100M per team contract. They aren’t the 8 SEC monsters, USC or Ohio State.

ND does though.

I didn’t say that.

I’m just saying that ALL of those schools pale in comparison to ND and to speculate that the ACC or PAC schools are better is missing the point.

None bring significant value from the $$ perspective. I do agree that all of them will eventually land in the B1G for a variety of other reasons including recruiting footprint, football merit to combat the significant advantage of the SEC. That still absolutely matters.

But battling over whether Oregon or Washington or a Clemson, etc carries more weight is silly. They’re all the same. Solid programs but not adding to the coffers of a 100M per team contract. They aren’t the 8 SEC monsters, USC or Ohio State.

ND does though.
Rutgers adds to the coffers but Miami doesn't?

Stanford’s endowment is about 40 Billion Dollars. They still value academics and athletics. They would be a good fit for the ACC and probably accept if the Big 10 doesn’t offer soon. If you can get ND, Navy for football, the better Pac 12 schools, and then open the TV contract up to highest bidder. You might get a large bid from Amazon and provide them a lot of content.
It's rumored right now - and a strong one - that the Big 10 is really going hard after both Notre Dame and Stanford and one of the enticing lures for both schools is the academic side of the Big Ten. No other conference is even remotely close to the Big Ten in research, Every current member of the Big Ten were AAU members when they were admitted. Nebraska lost their AAU membership (after admitted to the Big Ten) when their hospital left campus. In other words, The BiG is super strong when it comes to academics and both ND and especially Stanford will take this into account. Take a look at any college academic listing and look at the Big Ten teams in the top 50 or 60 if there are any doubts - and that includes both USC and UCLA

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
It's rumored right now - and a strong one - that the Big 10 is really going hard after both Notre Dame and Stanford and one of the enticing lures for both schools is the academic side of the Big Ten. No other conference is even remotely close to the Big Ten in research, Every current member of the Big Ten were AAU members when they were admitted. Nebraska lost their AAU membership (after admitted to the Big Ten) when their hospital left campus. In other words, The BiG is super strong when it comes to academics and both ND and especially Stanford will take this into account. Take a look at any college academic listing and look at the Big Ten teams in the top 50 or 60 if there are any doubts - and that includes both USC and UCLA
Yeah
It’s academics that’s the lure to play away games 5000 miles away
Not the huge sacks of tv revenue

Yeah
Amen. Academics just don’t matter.

It’s just that the reasonable options for B1G are all academically capable. So they can SAY that it’s academics. AAU status doesn’t determine academic prowess. Is ND AAU? I didn’t think they were but could be wrong.

They aren’t inviting WVU or Louisville.

P
Probably because they aren't worried about usc and UCLA and don't want to have to send their women's basketball to Oregon and Washington. Pretty easy to get to la

They need west coast teams with the addition of UCLA and USC. Oregon has to be at the top of the list and if they're just taking two more for now, it would have to be Notre Dame and Oregon, IMO.

Every current member of the Big Ten were AAU members when they were admitted. Nebraska lost their AAU membership (after admitted to the Big Ten) when their hospital left campus.

Which everyone knew was going to happen before Nebraska was invited to the Big Ten. And which several Big Ten schools were instrumental in making sure that it happened.

Rutgers is already in the B1G because of cable subscriptions mattering in 2010. Same reason others were added to other conferences.

WVU still landed in P5 despite having grade of 0.0 in that area.
Nobody in New Jersey gives a shit about Rutgers and you know that. Adding them didnt get BTN on in NJ. They are irrelevant in NJ. FSU and Miami deliver Florida. Don't tell me Rutgers is worth more than FSU or Miami.

Amen. Academics just don’t matter.

It’s just that the reasonable options for B1G are all academically capable. So they can SAY that it’s academics. AAU status doesn’t determine academic prowess. Is ND AAU? I didn’t think they were but could be wrong.

They aren’t inviting WVU or Louisville.
I mean Nebraska wasn’t either .

let’s just drop the pretense -
It’s about grabbing cash

Reactions: WVUinColumbus
Nobody in New Jersey gives a shit about Rutgers and you know that. Adding them didnt get BTN on in NJ. They are irrelevant in NJ. FSU and Miami deliver Florida. Don't tell me Rutgers is worth more than FSU or Miami.
You clearly aren’t reading and comprehending my words…

They need west coast teams with the addition of UCLA and USC. Oregon has to be at the top of the list and if they're just taking two more for now, it would have to be Notre Dame and Oregon, IMO.
I can see Stanford as the other team if the B1G can land Notre Dame, it gives basketball and Olympic sports three games/events close together on West Coast trips, Notre Dame keeps a traditional rival on the schedule which leaves a non-conference game slot open, and the whole “we’re an academic conference” thing gets a boost.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
One thing no one has mentioned what may change when the Big Ten and SEC break away from the NCAA. Rules changes in recruiting that will secure all the best available kids out of high school, not to mention taking players away from other conferences that may not have been a good recruit, but developed very well. Leaving the other conferences with leftovers.

Yeah
I'm not disputing that - it's true. It's being projected that each B1G team will make between a $100 and 120 million payout from their TV markets which is massive. But the point is that besides the huge sacks of money, the B1G is also the top academic conference overall - no matter how people try to spin it

I'm not disputing that - it's true. It's being projected that each B1G team will make between a $100 and 120 million payout from their TV markets which is massive. But the point is that besides the huge sacks of money, the B1G is also the top academic conference overall - no matter how people try to spin it
It’s not
And it has nothing with anything regarding these decisions
You didn’t add Nebraska because of academics
Nor Rutgers and Maryland .
It’s about tv markets for the b10 network and nothing else
You didn’t invite Stanford and Cal

P

Probably because they aren't worried about usc and UCLA and don't want to have to send their women's basketball to Oregon and Washington. Pretty easy to get to la

Not sure USC and UCLA would agree to join if they could bring more done the road.

please explain why Rutgers is in the Big Ten if it wasn’t BTN
why did the Big 10 add Rutgers?

The decision to add Rutgers and Maryland was all about increased media revenue generated by locking down the New York to Washington, DC corridor. In the first year as Big Ten members (2014) according to Berkowitz, the conference recorded $448.8 million in total revenue for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2015.

He doesn’t read too well. It’s literally the only reason that school isn’t playing with Villanova and Holy Cross.
What’s funny is Rutgers is on top of the Big Ten in baseball,Lacrosse, soccer and did extremely well well in big ten basketball, just not in football yet.

Lol. More Big Ten lunacy. Top academic conference no matter how you spin it?

What are you smoking. The same stuff that helps you to believe that Joe didn't know?

ADVERTISEMENT