ADVERTISEMENT

Big wrestling win for Pitt today!

Yeah I saw he just won a tournament pinning all 5 kids in like just over a minute total. Kids ridiculous wants to go to the Olympics and should. Glad he went away from psu wish he came to Pitt instead of okie st which is why I said him after this win.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Absolutely great win!

Oklahoma State has lost 4 matches this year, and this was the third they lost by 1 point. They lost to both Minnesota and Oklahoma by a single point as well. So we are in very good company.

The Pitt website described Wilps' loss to Perry as "controversial." Can anyone who was there tell me what the controversy involved? Perry May be the most boring wrestler in the universe to watch and seems to get every close call at the NCAAs.

In the trib article it says Wilps was called for stalling late in the match and that call sent it to overtime where he lost.

Yeah It was controversial because Wilps got called for a stall in the last 15 seconds to send it to OT. Can't honestly say that it was a bad call, but if Perry could sit back on Wilps hips with a merkle lock watching the ride time tick up for twenty seconds til he had his minute and not get called for a stall, then I don't think Wilps should have been called. Either way, Wilps is right with Perry. Definitely would rather wrestle Perry at Nationals than say, Howe, Brown or Kokesh

* I'm just referring to Tasser as The Urban Legend from now on. He just refuses to be overcome mentally. Lehigh, now this? Come on! We're going to end up having Tomei/Zac/Tasser/Rizzo for a decade span at HWT. Tasser is the least talented of those four, but I'll probably remember him the longest. Sports, man.

* Did not see this win coming at ALL. They've been scheduling a bunch of high level competiton recently, but with mixed results. This is the type of win that gets the big-time WPIAL kids' attention. Getting a couple ACC titles up your first year also helps towards that.

* Class of 2013 kids: 2-0. First of many signature wins those kids are going to contribute to under Peters. I couldn't be a bigger Edgar fan (took out a former 3x Ohio state champ today). And Mikey continues to raise his performance when the Dual lights are brightest.

* It could be argued 3 of our 4 best kids lost, and yet, Pitt came out with the win. Says something about this lineup. 2nd straight year Max has won vs. OK State.

* Props to Bonaccorsi for coming back after struggling through Duke with the right foot injury and forfeiting the other two matches last weekend. I hope the coaches keep on him to get takedowns, because he'll be a terror with more offensive confidence.

* It's likely our next match will determine the regular season conference title. Our guys went 1-2 vs. UVA wrestlers at the Scuffle, let's hope the home mat advantage can carry us through.

Wonderful win. Hail to Pitt.
This post was edited on 1/19 11:38 PM by singregardless

Re: Estimate on crowd?

The stall call on Wilps was under 5 seconds. We had 2k in the house, the lower seats were full with a few people in the mezzanine. We kept competing, I for one didn't come to the match with the hopes of us winning. Especially after we got down early with some tough losses

ACC standings

...because the ACC is too incompetent to post them or even have current records on its horrible website.

#13 Pitt 3-0 (9-1)
#12 Virginia 2-0 (13-2)
#16 Virginia Tech 2-1 (13-2)
NC State 0-1 (10-3)
North Carolina 0-1 (5-6)
Maryland 0-2 (4-7)
Duke 0-2 (3-7)

Pitt obviously has yet to wrestle both UVA and VT.

Upcoming meets with VT (Feb 7), Edinboro (Feb 14) and Michigan (Feb 15) will all be broadcast on ESPN3, along with the ACC Championship (March 8).

Originally posted by bwh05:
The stall call on Wilps was under 5 seconds. We had 2k in the house, the lower seats were full with a few people in the mezzanine. We kept competing, I for one didn't come to the match with the hopes of us winning. Especially after we got down early with some tough losses
Here is a Trib article on the match ....... see link below ...... says attendance was 1,921 and Coach Peters said the stalling call against Wilps was with 2 seconds to go, otherwise Wilps would have beaten the defending national champion ! ...... GREAT WIN FOR PITT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/5423577-74/pitt-oklahoma-state#axzz2qwbccLc2

I always thought....

the Big East web site was poorly done and then we move to the ACC, who has managed to have one that's much worse. Designing and maintaining a good web site really shouldn't be all that difficult (or expensive).

Re: I always thought....

The ACC site was redesigned to integrate into its mobile delivery and its on-line digital network. The ACC digital network is actually very well done, and an industry leader. The website, as far as serving the traditional purpose that a website should, sucks. They've also completely ignored wrestling, which compounds the issue for the purposes of this discussion.

I was there and thought the call was bogus. With 5 sec left and not going backwards, no call to be made. Both wrestlers were locked up.

thom67 ......

From your description, doesn't sound like Wilps should have been called for stalling ...... had Wilps been warned for stalling earlier during the match.

Re: thom67 ......

There was a warning in first period which was very questionable. Both wrestlers were locked up and not doing much except pushing. Wilps got a stall warning. Ref got a lot of boos for that one. Perry wasn't doing anything either, but no calls on him. Again when Perry had a lead, he just was hanging on with no stall calls.

Originally posted by thom67:
There was a warning in first period which was very questionable. Both wrestlers were locked up and not doing much except pushing. Wilps got a stall warning. Ref got a lot of boos for that one. Perry wasn't doing anything either, but no calls on him. Again when Perry had a lead, he just was hanging on with no stall calls.
Sounds like the ref was favoring a returning national champion ...... wonder if a replay of the match will be shown on TV ?

I thought at the time ref forgot about the stall call in the first period. He seemed surprised when the point was awarded like he wasn't expecting it.

I thought the same thing when he called it. The ref did not give the 1 point signal at first, just a warning signal.

Right, I think he thought he was giving the first warning to Wilps, and he went to the scorers table at the beginning of OT to see if he had warned perry yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT