ADVERTISEMENT

Big XII preparing to invite up to six PAC-12 schools

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah plus Oregon and Washington if the Big Ten invites don’t come through.

This would be GREAT news for the ACC. The more schools the Big XII invite from the PAC-12, the less slots they’d have available for the ACC down the line if the Big Ten and/or SEC nab a few.

Last edited:
Conversely… if bigTen want to expand beyond 16 and wash n oregon are in b12… then they probably come after unc, uva… which makes the ACC weaker once SEC go after fsu, miami, clemson… making the ACC at best the weakest of the remaining 4, worse case irrelevant like the AAC

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Conversely… if bigTen want to expand beyond 16 and wash n oregon are in b12… then they probably come after unc, uva… which makes the ACC weaker once SEC go after fsu, miami, clemson… making the ACC at best the weakest of the remaining 4, worse case irrelevant like the AAC
That’s very true. However, my question would be what value would schools like Virginia bring to the Big Ten that Oregon and Washington couldn’t? That’s why I’m a little less concerned about the Big Ten poaching the ACC, outside of potentially North Carolina. I also don’t think the Tar Heels would be in a position where they could bring other schools with them.

The B1G will take the 5 ACC AAU schools plus ND, Stanford and California

Reactions: JSSTartan
That’s why I’m a little less concerned about the Big Ten poaching the ACC, outside of potentially North Carolina.
Just curious why everyone says UNC is so desirable. A friend of mine who is a native of the state says that practically nobody likes Duke (wealthy northerners) and not many are fans of UNC (wealthy North Carolinians). He says NC State is by far the most popular team.

Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah plus Oregon and Washington if the Big Ten invites don’t come through.

This would be GREAT news for the ACC. The more schools the Big XII invite from the PAC-12, the less slots they’d have available for the ACC down the line if the Big Ten and/or SEC nab a few.

If true,

Whats the better football league, the new Big 12 or the new ACC assuming the SEC comes calling?

I know im in the minority, but we are headed for the second coming of the Big East if we stay here.

Just curious why everyone says UNC is so desirable. A friend of mine who is a native of the state says that practically nobody likes Duke (wealthy northerners) and not many are fans of UNC (wealthy North Carolinians). He says NC State is by far the most popular team.
I threw some numbers into a spreadsheet yesterday. They’re right there with Clemson, Florida State, and Miami when it comes to tv ratings and revenue generated in recent years, even more so than Virginia Tech. They also have other benefits that the Big Ten and SEC might consider (AAU membership, in North Carolina, great basketball program).

If true,

Whats the better football league, the new Big 12 or the new ACC assuming the SEC comes calling?

I know im in the minority, but we are headed for the second coming of the Big East if we stay here.
I might have to side with the Big XII because their top programs (Oklahoma State, Oregon, Washington) would trump what the ACC would have remaining (Pitt, Virginia Tech). I’d also be inclined to think they’d have more revenue potential because of their ability to have all-day programming across all time zones.

There’s definitely a few ACC schools looking to get out. I hope Pitt and Lyke are prepared for when that happens.

AAU Schools that play FBS football
Institution[16]State or provinceControlTotal studentsMedical school[17][18]Engineering program[19]
(LCME accredited)(ABET accredited)
SECTexas A&M UniversityTexasPublic
72,982​
YesYes
Big TenOhio State UniversityOhioPublic
57,466​
YesYes
Big TenUniversity of Minnesota, Twin CitiesMinnesotaPublic
52,376​
YesYes
SECUniversity of Texas at AustinTexasPublic
51,000​
YesYes
Big TenMichigan State UniversityMichiganPublic
49,300​
YesYes
SECUniversity of FloridaFloridaPublic
49,042​
YesYes
Big TenUniversity of Southern CaliforniaCaliforniaPrivate
48,500​
YesYes
Big TenPennsylvania State UniversityPennsylvaniaPublic
45,518​
YesYes
Big TenUniversity of Illinois Urbana-ChampaignIllinoisPublic
44,520​
YesYes
Pac 12University of WashingtonWashingtonPublic
43,762​
YesYes
Big TenUniversity of MichiganMichiganPublic
43,426​
YesYes
Big TenUniversity of Wisconsin–MadisonWisconsinPublic
43,275​
YesYes
Big TenIndiana University BloomingtonIndianaPublic
42,731​
NoNo
Big TenUniversity of California, Los AngelesCaliforniaPublic
42,163​
YesYes
Big TenRutgers University–New BrunswickNew JerseyPublic
41,565​
YesYes
Pac 12University of ArizonaArizonaPublic
40,223​
YesYes
Big TenPurdue UniversityIndianaPublic
39,256​
NoYes
Big TenUniversity of Maryland, College ParkMarylandPublic
37,631​
NoYes
Pac 12University of California, BerkeleyCaliforniaPublic
36,204​
NoYes
SECUniversity of MissouriMissouriPublic
35,441​
YesYes
Pac 12University of UtahUtahPublic
32,994​
YesYes
Pac 12University of Colorado BoulderColoradoPublic
32,775​
NoYes
Big TenUniversity of IowaIowaPublic
31,065​
YesYes
University at BuffaloNew YorkPublic
30,183​
YesYes
ACCUniversity of North Carolina at Chapel HillNorth CarolinaPublic
29,390​
YesNo
ACCGeorgia Institute of TechnologyGeorgiaPublic
29,370​
NoYes
ACCUniversity of PittsburghPennsylvaniaPublic
28,649​
YesYes
Big 12University of KansasKansasPublic
27,983​
YesYes
ACCUniversity of VirginiaVirginiaPublic
24,360​
YesYes
Pac 12University of OregonOregonPublic
22,980​
NoNo
Big TenNorthwestern UniversityIllinoisPrivate
21,208​
YesYes
Pac 12Stanford UniversityCaliforniaPrivate
15,877​
YesYes
ACCDuke UniversityNorth CarolinaPrivate
14,600​
YesYes
SECVanderbilt UniversityTennesseePrivate
12,795​
YesYes
Rice UniversityTexasPrivate
7,282​
NoYes

I still see the opposite. Pac 12 adding Big 12 members. Too much garbage in the new Big 12.

NC State has more passionate, dedicated fans. But UNC has more fans period. They just only care when UNC football wins. And UNC Basketball is a national brand which has a ton of value

I still see the opposite. Pac 12 adding Big 12 members. Too much garbage in the new Big 12.
Assuming Stanford bolts for the Big Ten with Notre Dame, I think what would give the Big XII the leverage is the fact that they’d command more on the open market right now than the PAC-12.

I don't know how I want this to shake out. At the end of the day though, hopefully Pitt will be in 1 of 2 places:

1) A strong ACC with all of it's current members (unlikely ACC doesn't lose anyone)
2) Have some sort of conference with the likes of Okie State, VT, NC State, Iowa State, WVU, etc and play as the "best of the rest"

Worst case would be stuck in a diluted ACC with BC, WF, Duke, and then have to add a bunch of crap schools.

I've lived in North Carolina for 28 years, and I agree about the Duke comment. However, UNC is very popular throughout the state, just as NCSU is. Maybe even as close as 50 / 50 between the two.

Reactions: pittdan77
I don't know how I want this to shake out. At the end of the day though, hopefully Pitt will be in 1 of 2 places:

1) A strong ACC with all of it's current members (unlikely ACC doesn't lose anyone)
2) Have some sort of conference with the likes of Okie State, VT, NC State, Iowa State, WVU, etc and play as the "best of the rest"

Worst case would be stuck in a diluted ACC with BC, WF, Duke, and then have to add a bunch of crap schools.

Exactly what i stated yesterday and all of a sudden im a troll.

We should do anything in our power to get out of the new ACC and in an expanded Big 12. Given our geography, brand, logistics for multiple team events, we would be given serious consideration.

I don't think Stanford is going to the Big Ten. Also, the ACC absolutely has to take the best of what's left of the Big 12 and Pac 12
Agreed, I wish the ACC would be the aggressors and invite the PAC-12 members instead of letting the Big XII get the remains.

Reactions: Dan1911

If the worst case above occurs, and it certainly is not impossible that it could… I think all of those schools indicated would have to drop football and regroup…possibly merge with one of the basketball-only conferences.

i don’t hold much hope in Pitt football’s long (or even short) term viability with your second option either. It’s definitely ‘minor leagues’ and I personally feel Pitt has no chance to survive that scenario.

The first option is the best hope, not that it is a slam dunk either.

Now we are going to definitely see how effective an AD that Ms. Lyke really is. Especially given that the chancellor position is in flux right now. I don’t envy her. There are not a lot of good options.

I get that the B12 feels panicked to do something but those schools with Cincy, UCF, BYU and UH isn't adding net revenue per team.

Reactions: revampedpanthers
I get that the B12 feels panicked to do something but those schools with Cincy, UCF, BYU and UH isn't adding net revenue per team.
Revoking Houston and UCF’s invitations would likely be best for the Big XII moving forward, but I’m not sure they’d agree to do that.

I'll buy the Duke hatred, in state, but the Tar Heels are by far the dominant team in North Carolina.

Just imagine Pitt ending up needing WVU help to get invited to a more secure Big12. That would be hillarious if it happens.

Last edited:
Just imagine Pitt ending up need WVU help to get invited to a more secure Big12. That would be hillarious if it happens.
And frankly, why would the Mountaineers want to help us out? We left them for dead in the Big East and weren’t able to get them into the ACC. Maybe it’s all water under the bridge now that both schools have new leadership.

Reactions: eerlobe
And frankly, why would the Mountaineers want to help us out? We left them for dead in the Big East and weren’t able to get them into the ACC. Maybe it’s all water under the bridge now that both schools have new leadership.
They’d be doing us a favor to NOT help us into that quagmire. If B12 is the last football option, better to drop it all together and just play basketball.

Big 12 is the least stable conference since it’s inception and continues to be. Pitt would be in a horrible place if it came to hoping to join a conference with ucf, Houston , kansas st and iowa st. I’d rather join the mac or aac
Playing Devil’s advocate: there are zero programs in the Big XII that are currently desired by the Big Ten and SEC. Perhaps they’re actually the most stable conference in college football outside of those two?

Contrary to what you may think, WVU would bend over backwards to get Pitt chosen to join the Big 12 over other ACC teams. Not sure we would have the clout but we would try. It is a great rivalry game that has TV appeal.

If the worst case above occurs, and it certainly is not impossible that it could… I think all of those schools indicated would have to drop football and regroup…possibly merge with one of the basketball-only conferences.

i don’t hold much hope in Pitt football’s long (or even short) term viability with your second option either. It’s definitely ‘minor leagues’ and I personally feel Pitt has no chance to survive that scenario.

The first option is the best hope, not that it is a slam dunk either.

Now we are going to definitely see how effective an AD that Ms. Lyke really is. Especially given that the chancellor position is in flux right now. I don’t envy her. There are not a lot of good options.
Maybe she can reverse decades of population loss in western PA and make Pittsburgh a major media market again.
Then again, she could magically make Pitt a school with a gazillion alums like Ohio State. To top it off, she can erase 30 plus years of football purgatory.
Lyke can’t change facts and revenue streams. Whether Pitt comes out the other end of conference realignment part 2 is a function of matters over which she has no control.

ADVERTISEMENT