ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest three pointers in Pitt Hoops history ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
... there have been several nostalgia threads lately, including the threads about best "eras" in Pitt Hoops and the loudest moment at the Pete.

In these threads I noticed that so many of the items mentioned included memorable three point shots.

The three point shot started in College Basketball with the 1986-1987 season, meaning this is the 33rd season with the three point shot.Therefore, I decided to give it a go selecting the "biggest" 33 three point shots in Pitt Hoops history.

By biggest, I mean most memorable, important, meaningful or even most cluch. After putting the list together, I realized it was heavily waited to more recent years. Much of this has to do with memory of course, and perhaps much also has to do with the bigger and more important games played over the last 18 years or so. But it should also be noted that it also has a great deal to do with the growing importance of the three point shot in the game.

Please feel free to offer disagreements and a few of your own that I'm sure I missed.

33. Trey McGowens – Louisville – 2019 – Trey ends an incredible half with a three to give him a total of 20 points.

32. Jason Matthews – Providence – 1988 – Jason’s second consecutive three in the final two minutes of the game gives the Panthers a one point road win.

31. Jamel Artis – Syracuse – 2015 – Jamel’s three with a minute to go pushes the lead to five on the way to the Panther victory at the Pete.

30. Cameron Johnson – Syracuse – 2016 – Cam’s fourth three in the ACC Tourney game pushes the Panther lead to 10 resulting in an NCAA tournament berth clinching victory.

29. Sheldon Jeter – Virginia – 2017 – Sheldon’s second straight three in OT gives the Panthers a six point lead on the way to a huge upset of Virginia.

28. Curtis Aiken – Illinois – 1986 – In the first big “three point performance” in the first year of three point shot, Curtis’ last of five threes cuts the Illini lead to two in the final minutes. On the radio, Billy Hillgrove said it came from “5th and Bouquet.”

27. Xavier Johnson – Louisville -- 2019 – X answers an OT opening three by the Cards with one of his own and the Panthers take it from there to end the 23 game conference losing streak.

26. James Robinson – Virginia Tech – 2014 – With 40 seconds to go, James’s three plus a foul erases a four point Hookie lead sending the game into OT and the eventual win.

25. Carl Krauser – Syracuse – 2005 – Carl’s three in the final minute in the Dome was “Onions!”

24. Ron Ramon – Georgetown – 2008 – Maybe this shot isn’t quite the magnitude of some of the others. But I love the image of Ron flicking his wrist after a big three down the stretch of the Big East Tournament victory.

23. Brandin Knight – Uconn – 2003 – Another shot that doesn’t quite have the same magnitude as others, but I love the image of Brandin’s three near the start of the game symbolizing he was healthy and ready to lead the Panthers to their first Big East Tournament Title.

22. Jason Maile – Villanova – 1997 – Since Jason hit 8 threes during his incredible 40 point outburst, even if one particular one does not stand out, I’m sure one of them could.

21. Lamar Patterson – Marquette – 2103 – Lamar drains a three off an inbounds play to tie the game and sent it into OT.

20. Levance Fields – OK State – 2006 – The Panthers were down four when Mike Cook hit the first of two foul shots, missed the second, Aaron Gray got the rebound and fired to Levance who hit the three to send the game into a second OT.

19. Rod Brookin – Boston College – 1987 – Rod sinks a buzzer beater three from the corner in the first OT allowing the Panthers to be victorious in the second OT. The is the first buzzer beater three I can recall for the Panthers.

18. Ashton Gibbs – Texas – 2010 – Ashton drains an unconscious three against the Longhorns with under 2 minutes to go to put the Panthers in the lead to stay.

17. Antonio Graves – Louisville – 2007 – Antonio’s 4th three caps a 20-2 run to start the second half vaulting the Panthers to a Big East Tournament Semi-final victory.

16. Lamar Patterson – Clemson – 2014 – Let’s put two LP shots to together for this entry. Lamar hits a three with three seconds to cut the Tigers lead to 2, opening the door for Josh Kirkirk’s miracle. Then Lamar hits a three to opening the OT and the Panthers never look back.

15. Sam Young – Villanova – 2009 – Sometimes forgotten with everything else that happened in the Elite 8 game was the three Sam hit to cut the Wildcat lead from four points to one in the final minute.

14. James Robinson – Villanova – 2013 – James’ three with about 30 seconds to go ties the game where the Panthers win it in OT.

13. Levance Fields – VCU – 2007 - After missing foul shots to win in regulation, Fields’ three gives the Panthers a four point lead on the way to the Sweet 16.

12. Julius Page – UCF – 2004 -- Julius’ three point shot had failed him late in this fine Panther season. And he started off this game 0-5 from three (and a couple them weren’t close). But his sixth three point shot was dagger that allowed the Panthers to take control of this NCAA tourney game.

11. Ron Ramon – Notre Dame – 2006 – Ron’s three with less than 20 seconds to go gives the Panthers a 2OT win.

10. Levance Fields – OK State – 2009 – Levance’s three in the final minute and a half gives the Panthers the lead for good on their way to the Sweet 16. (Of note, he also hit a three with a couple seconds left in the first half which tied the game going into the break.)

9. Jason Matthews – Georgia – 1991 – Jason’s three late ties the game sending it into OT where the Panthers were victorious.

8. Tim Glover – Georgia – 1991 – Tim’s 4th three of the half tied the game late in the second period leading to the eventual Pitt win in OT.

7. Garrick Thomas – Seton Hall – 1993 – Freshman Garrick hits an incredible deep bomb at the buzzer to beat the Pirates.

6. Ashton Gibbs – Providence – 2010 – Ashton’s 30 foot bomb at the buzzer snags a victory from the jaws of defeat.

5. Levance Fields – UConn – 2009 – Levance’s 2nd three in the game’s final three minutes gives the Panthers a six point lead on their way to their first victory ever over a #1.

4. Ashton Gibbs – WVU – 2010 – Ashton’s three caps the Panthers 7 point comeback in the final minute to send the game into OT.

3. Levance Fields – Xavier – 2009 – An out of nowhere three gives the Panthers the lead they never lose on their way to the Elite 8.

2. Ron Ramon – WVU – 2008 – Second greatest moment ever at the Pete.

1. Levance Fields – Duke – 2007 – Maybe the biggest single shot in Panther’s history.

I guess I have to reply simply because of the video in my signature. :D

On edit: I know how incredible that Duke game was, but considering that Levance's 3 in the Xavier game led us to an Elite 8 appearance, I would have to put that one as #1 on the list.

Last edited:
... there have been several nostalgia threads lately, including the threads about best "eras" in Pitt Hoops and the loudest moment at the Pete.

In these threads I noticed that so many of the items mentioned included memorable three point shots.

The three point shot started in College Basketball with the 1986-1987 season, meaning this is the 33rd season with the three point shot.Therefore, I decided to give it a go selecting the "biggest" 33 three point shots in Pitt Hoops history.

By biggest, I mean most memorable, important, meaningful or even most cluch. After putting the list together, I realized it was heavily waited to more recent years. Much of this has to do with memory of course, and perhaps much also has to do with the bigger and more important games played over the last 18 years or so. But it should also be noted that it also has a great deal to do with the growing importance of the three point shot in the game.

Please feel free to offer disagreements and a few of your own that I'm sure I missed.

33. Trey MCGowens – Louisville – 2019 – Trey ends an incredible half with a three to give him a total of 20 points.

32. Jason Matthews – Providence – 1988 – Jason’s second consecutive three in the final two minutes of the game gives the Panthers a one point road win.

31. Jamel Artis – Syracuse – 2015 – Jamel’s three with a minute to go pushes the lead to five on the way to the Panther victory at the Pete.

30. Cameron Johnson – Syracuse – 2016 – Cam’s fourth three in the ACC Tourney game pushes the Panther lead to 10 resulting in an NCAA tournament berth clinching victory.

29. Sheldon Jeter – Virginia – 2017 – Sheldon’s second straight three in OT gives the Panthers a six point lead on the way to a huge upset of Virginia.

28. Curtis Aiken – Illinois – 1986 – In the first big “three point performance” in the first year of three point shot, Curtis’ last of five threes cuts the Illini lead to two in the final minutes. On the radio, Billy Hillgrove said it came from “5th and Bouquet.”

27. Xavier Johnson – Louisville -- 2019 – X answers an OT opening three by the Cards with one of his own and the Panthers take it from there to end a 23 game conference game losing streak.

26. James Robinson – Virginia Tech – 2014 – With 40 seconds to go, James’s three plus a foul erases a four point Hookie lead sending the game into OT and the eventual win.

25. Carl Krauser – Syracuse – 2005 – Carl’s three in the final minute in the Dome was “Onions!”

24. Ron Ramon – Georgetown – 2008 – Maybe this shot isn’t quite the magnitude of some of the others. But I love to image of Ron flicking his wrist after a big three down the stretch of the Big East Tournament victory.

23. Brandin Knight – Uconn – 2003 – Another shot that doesn’t quite have the same magnitude as others, but I love the image of Brandin’s three near the start of the game symbolizing he was healthy and ready to lead the Panthers to their first Big East Tournament Title.

22. Jason Maile – Villanova – 1997 – Since Jason hit 8 threes during his incredible 40 point outburst, even if one particular one does not stand out, I’m sure one of them could.

21. Lamar Patterson – Marquette – 2103 – Lamar drains a three off an inbounds play to tie the game and sent it into OT.

20. Levance Fields – OK State – 2006 – The Panthers were down four when Mike Cook hit the first of two foul shots, missed the second, Aaron Gray got the rebound and fired to Levance who hit the three to send the game into a second OT.

19. Rod Brookin – Boston College – 1987 – Rod sinks a buzzer beater three from the corner in the first OT allowing the Panthers to be victorious in the second OT. The is the first buzzer beater three I can recall for the Panthers.

18. Ashton Gibbs – Texas – 2010 – Ashton drains an unconscious three against the Longhorns with under 2 minutes to go to put the Panthers in the lead to stay.

17. Antonio Graves – Louisville – 2007 – Antonio’s 4th three caps a 20-2 run to start the second half vaulting the Panthers to a Big East Tournament Semi-final victory.

16. Lamar Patterson – Clemson – 2014 – Let’s put two LP shots to together for this entry. Lamar hits a three with three seconds to cut the Tigers lead to 2, opening the door for Josh Kirkirk’s miracle. Then Lamar hits a three to opening the OT and the Panthers never look back.

15. Sam Young – Villanova – 2009 – Sometimes forgotten with everything else that happened in the Elite 8 game was the three Sam hit to cut the Wildcat lead from four points to one in the final minute.

14. James Robinson – Villanova – 2013 – James’s three with about 30 seconds to go ties the game where the Panthers win it in OT.

13. Levance Fields – VCU – 2007 - After missing foul shots to win in regulation, Fields’ three gives the Panthers a four point lead on the way to the Sweet 16.

12. Julius Page – UCF – 2004 -- Julius’ three point shot had failed him late in this fine Panther season. And he started off this game 0-5 from three (and a couple them weren’t close). But his sixth three point shot was dagger that allowed the Panthers to take control of this NCAA tourney game.

11. Ron Ramon – Notre Dame – 2006 – Ron’s three with less than 20 seconds to go gives the Panthers a 2OT win.

10. Levance Fields – OK State – 2009 – Levance’s three in the final minute and a half gives the Panthers the lead for good on their way to the Sweet 16. (Of note, he also hit a three with a couple seconds left in the first half which tied the game going into the break.)

9. Jason Matthews – Georgia – 1991 – Jason’s three late ties the game sending it into OT where the Panthers were victorious.

8. Tim Glover – Georgia – 1991 – Tim’s 4th three of the half tied the game late in the second period leading to the eventual Pitt win in OT.

7. Garrick Thomas – Seton Hall – 2003 – Freshman Garrick hits an incredible deep bomb at the buzzer to beat the Pirates.

6. Ashton Gibbs – Providence – 2010 – Ashton’s 30 foot bomb at the buzzer snags a victory from the jaws of defeat.

5. Levance Fields – UConn – 2009 – Levance’s 2nd three in the game’s last final minutthree minute and a gives the Panthers a six point lead on their way to their first victory ever over a #1.

4. Ashton Gibbs – WVU – 2010 – Ashton’s three caps the Panthers 7 point comeback in the final minute to send the game into OT.

3. Levance Fields – Xavier – 2009 – An out of nowhere three gives the Panthers the lead they never lose on their way to the Elite 8.

1. Levance Fields – Duke – 2007 – Maybe the biggest single shot in Panther’s history.
DT, you are one amazing guy with that list. But the biggest 3 point shot in Pitt history was probably made by.....Barry Goheen.

Sorry, I just had to. You didn't specifically say by Pitt.

I agree with your top 5. Awesome post so thanks for doing this.

That Glover kid was great against Georgia. I am glad you had him ranked high on your list. Too bad he transferred

I guess I have to reply simply because of the video in my signature. :D

On edit: I know how incredible that Duke game was, but considering that Levance's 3 in the Xavier game led us to an Elite 8 appearance, I would have to put that one as #1 on the list.

I have it at #3 because it wasn't a buzzer beater or end the game shot like the ones at #1 and #2.

33. Trey MCGowens – Louisville – 2019 – Trey ends an incredible half with a three to give him a total of 20 points.

27. Xavier Johnson – Louisville -- 2019 – X answers an OT opening three by the Cards with one of his own and the Panthers take it from there to end a 23 game conference game losing streak.

24. Ron Ramon – Georgetown – 2008 – Maybe this shot isn’t quite the magnitude of some of the others. But I love to image of Ron flicking his wrist after a big three down the stretch of the Big East Tournament victory.

14. James Robinson – Villanova – 2013 – James’s three with about 30 seconds to go ties the game where the Panthers win it in OT.

7. Garrick Thomas – Seton Hall – 2003 – Freshman Garrick hits an incredible deep bomb at the buzzer to beat the Pirates.

5. Levance Fields – UConn – 2009 – Levance’s 2nd three in the game’s last final minutthree minute and a gives the Panthers a six point lead on their way to their first victory ever over a #1.

Great list! I'd have your #3 as my #1.

Reactions: Protes

I had to look up Garrick Thomas, as I had never heard of him. I started at Pitt in 2000. Maybe 1993 instead of 2003?

Thanks -- I fixed that mistake. Just a typo when I was putting this together.

I had to look up Garrick Thomas, as I had never heard of him. I started at Pitt in 2000. Maybe 1993 instead of 2003?
Absolutely correct. Garrick Thomas play in the mid 90s under Willard.

Not to divert this topic, but this made me think about a 'forever-in-the-doghouse' top 5. Watching that Xavier E8 highlight made me ponder the question....I guess it has to be Jermaine Dixon for me. Dixon blowing that layup late versus Xavier, then obviously the collapse the next game. Alligator blood he had not. Gilbert Brown and Nasir Robinson w/ honorable mentions.

7. Garrick Thomas – Seton Hall – 1993 – Freshman Garrick hits an incredible deep bomb at the buzzer to beat the Pirates.

5. Levance Fields – UConn – 2009 – Levance’s 2nd three in the game’s last final three minutes gives the Panthers a six point lead on their way to their first victory ever over a #1.

First- that’s an incredible list.

A couple of additions - not sure where they would rank - but perhaps for consideration.

Luther vs Duke 2016. My recollection is Luther hitting a deep 3 from the left wing late in the shot clock and late in the 2nd half that essentially put the game away.

McCullough vs PSU 1992 NIT . In my opinion- one of the biggest wins of an otherwise disappointing era and pretty dark time for Pitt sports generally. PSU was frothing at the mouth to beat a truly disinterested Pitt team at Rec Hall- Pitt somehow found their swag just in time to make a late comeback behind McCullough, Mobley, and McNeil to win in the closing seconds. McCullough hit an important 3 late in that game to help fuel the comeback.

I feel like there are some others in that late 80s early 90s stretch that might deserve consideration-

For sheer joy and beating Duke, I like that one, but Levance's against Xavier was probably bigger because it was in a tourney game.

Reactions: Protes

A couple of additions - not sure where they would rank - but perhaps for consideration.

Luther vs Duke 2016. My recollection is Luther hitting a deep 3 from the left wing late in the shot clock and late in the 2nd half that essentially put the game away.

McCullough vs PSU 1992 NIT . In my opinion- one of the biggest wins of an otherwise disappointing era and pretty dark time for Pitt sports generally. PSU was frothing at the mouth to beat a truly disinterested Pitt team at Rec Hall- Pitt somehow found their swag just in time to make a late comeback behind McCullough, Mobley, and McNeil to win in the closing seconds. McCullough hit an important 3 late in that game to help fuel the comeback.

I feel like there are some others in that late 80s early 90s stretch that might deserve consideration-

I do remember Ryan's play. I think we were up by 15 or so at the time, so that game didn't turn on it though. I think James hit one right after and wow was the Pete rockin!

I have no memory of the 92 NIT game other than I know I watched it! LOL

Reactions: twtolearn

It was more than just disinterested. The players had voted not to go to the NIT and at least one practice beforehand was just called early because of a lack of effort. The team was totally lost. Wholesale substitutions of the starters for the first year players turned the game around.

Indeed, a good case can be made for Fields' Xavier shot in the tournament. But I have to agree with the #1 and #2 rankings by DT. If I didn't have a needle phobia I might consider getting a tattoo of Fields' Duke shot on my back. And Ramon's game-winner against WVU, a true buzzer beater, just such an indelible moment. Two of my very fondest sports memories.

Miller had the game winning shot that night I believe.BUzzer beater if I’m not mistaken.

It was more than just disinterested. The players had voted not to go to the NIT and at least one practice beforehand was just called early because of a lack of effort. The team was totally lost. Wholesale substitutions of the starters for the first year players turned the game around.

Yes - i remember the player vote not to participate. Penn State wanted to beat us so badly- it was incredibly satisfying (at least for this Pitt fan) to win that game.

Miller had the game winning shot that night I believe.BUzzer beater if I’m not mistaken.
My memory is McNeal made the game winning shot- Penn State had a good look at the end but missed.

I may be thinking of the ole miss game earlier that year.Miller did hit a game winner at the buzzer for sure in that one.It was in the sugar bowl classic in New Orleans.

Last edited:
My memory is McNeal made the game winning shot- Penn State had a good look at the end but missed.

The other bummer there was that Pitt was the first team who went to the preseason NIT Final Four NOT to get to the NCAA tournament.

Like I said, I don't recall the PSU game, but I do recall watching us lose to the Gators in the next game.

The other bummer there was that Pitt was the first team who went to the preseason NIT Final Four NOT to get to the NCAA tournament.

Like I said, I don't recall the PSU game, but I do recall watching us lose to the Gators in the next game.
That fla game was a quick dose of reality.i forget the guys name,but one guy from fla killed us.we couldn’t stop him.

Great list. One that doesn’t count of course but had it been a 1/2 second earlier was knight at Syracuse hitting a 35’ just after the buzzer.

5. Levance Fields – UConn – 2009 – Levance’s 2nd three in the game’s last final three minutes gives the Panthers a six point lead on their way to their first victory ever over a #1.

You’re unbelievable, DT! Very well done. You hit them all and plenty more than what I could come up with.

Actually, I may have one that was huge because if he doesn’t hit it, we lose and it may have kept us on the right side of the bubble a few years ago. And it was a buzzer beater as I recall. But my memory is awful so I could be way off. I only remember what couch I was on when I was watching it. ——

Josh Newkirk, as a freshman at Miami?? Or maybe it was JRob?

Yeah - we beat Kentucky at Rupp in the pre-season NIT.

You’re unbelievable, DT! Very well done. You hit them all and plenty more than what I could come up with.

Actually, I may have one that was huge because if he doesn’t hit it, we lose and it may have kept us on the right side of the bubble a few years ago. And it was a buzzer beater as I recall. But my memory is awful so I could be way off. I only remember what couch I was on when I was watching it. ——

Ok. My memory is shot. Maybe I’m thinking of a basket vs another team in Orange (Clemson). But I have a vivid memory of a panther hitting a big 3 from the corner (bottom of tv screen) vs Miami. Maybe it sent us to OT on a night that Patterson went off for 25pts?

First I just wanted to give you a "Bravo" on your list. That is some amazing work.

I would like to add two to the honorable mention list and two of my favorites:

1. January 22, 2005. Chevy hits a three from the corner at Gampel Pavilion to give Pitt the lead for good after trailing by 17 points in the first ESPN College Basketball gameday game at UConn.

2. January 29, 2007. Antonio Graves nails at three point from the wing with Pitt up one with 1:46 to ice the game and complete a 9 point come back against Villanova at the sold out Wachovia Center.

Ok. My memory is shot. Maybe I’m thinking of a basket vs another team in Orange (Clemson). But I have a vivid memory of a panther hitting a big 3 from the corner (bottom of tv screen) vs Miami. Maybe it sent us to OT on a night that Patterson went off for 25pts?

Newkirk hit like a 12 footer after a steal at Clemson to win the game — Patterson scores like 25 points that game. I remember it being a critical win late in the season to put Pitt in great position for the NCAAs.

Newkirk hit like a 12 footer after a steal at Clemson to win the game — Patterson scores like 25 points that game. I remember it being a critical win late in the season to put Pitt in great position for the NCAAs.

It was a Newkirk 8 footer with .00001 on the clock from a ball tipped loose by Patterson that tied the game. We won the game in OT with 7 points from Patterson and 8 from Cam Wright. Patterson had 30 in the game (but 25 in the OT game against Miami).

After Newkirk made shot, I screamed "OH MY GAWD!!" about 10 times at the top of my lungs.

It was a Newkirk 8 footer with .00001 on the clock from a ball tipped loose by Patterson that tied the game. We won the game in OT with 7 points from Patterson and 8 from Cam Wright. Patterson had 30 in the game (but 25 in the OT game against Miami).

After Newkirk made shot, I screamed "OH MY GAWD!!" about 10 times at the top of my lungs.

I remember there was a long review to see if he got the shot off on time - honestly it looked like the ball was still on his finger tips - but it was too fuzzy and not enough to over turn that made shot. I think if it had been ruled no shot live by the referees it would have stood as no shot.

I remember there was a long review to see if he got the shot off on time - honestly it looked like the ball was still on his finger tips - but it was too fuzzy and not enough to over turn that made shot. I think if it had been ruled no shot live by the referees it would have stood as no shot.

Did they actually rule on the court if he got the shot off? I don't recall is there was even a live ruling,

Did they actually rule on the court if he got the shot off? I don't recall is there was even a live ruling,
I do remember that Clemson game and Newkirk reacted as though he didn’t get the shot off. It was about as close as that muffed punt last night by Edelman. Even replay couldn’t really tell. They huddled up and then brought both coaches to the scorers table and told them they were headed to OT.

Am I way off on the Miami game? Someone, I swear, hit a late jumper from the near corner. Maybe it was JRob? Could it have been the Patterson 25pt game?

ADVERTISEMENT