ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest week ever for Pitt soccer

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Pitt's RPI didn't drop much after the OT loss at UVa. We have 2 home games and if we win both, I think we are in the NCAAT. If we lose 1, we'll probably have to win the ACCT 1st Round game on the road.

The legendary Akron program comes in on Tuesday. They are #14 in the RPI followed by VT on Friday, who is #28.

BTW, the ACC's RPI ranks are seriously insane.

ALL of the Top 4
5 of the Top 7
7 of the Top 10

Pitt is next at 21.

So, that's 7 locks with Pitt, VT, and NC State trying for 1-2 more bids.

Reactions: Pittnerski
Pitt's RPI didn't drop much after the OT loss at UVa. We have 2 home games and if we win both, I think we are in the NCAAT. If we lose 1, we'll probably have to win the ACCT 1st Round game on the road.

The legendary Akron program comes in on Tuesday. They are #14 in the RPI followed by VT on Friday, who is #28.

ALL of the Top 4
5 of the Top 7
7 of the Top 10

Pitt is next at 21.

I hope this doesn't end like the yearly baseball threads.

Reactions: LVNVPanther

ALL of the Top 4
5 of the Top 7
7 of the Top 10

Pitt is next at 21.

I hope this doesn't end like the yearly baseball threads.

The difference is that this soccer team is legitimately as good as anyone in the country. Given the parity of college soccer and the nature of the sport where a team can be badly outplayed but win a game 1-0, this team has a halfway decent shot to win the National Championship.......or not even make the NCAAT. That's how much parity there is.

The difference is that this soccer team is legitimately as good as anyone in the country. Given the parity of college soccer and the nature of the sport where a team can be badly outplayed but win a game 1-0, this team has a halfway decent shot to win the National Championship.......or not even make the NCAAT. That's how much parity there is.

I don't think that first sentence is really true at all. For instance Wake Forest beat Pitt 2-0 in a game that they outshot Pitt 21-3. It would be a huge upset for Pitt to beat Wake if they were to happen to play again. Clemson beat Pitt 3-0 in a game they outshot Pitt 19-5. Pitt is not as good as the teams at the very top.

However your statement that sometimes a team can be badly outplayed and still win a game is certainly true, especially in the post season where tied games go to penalties. The problem with Pitt winning a national championship this year is that they would probably have to beat at least two, maybe three teams, that are a level above Pitt. That's a hard thing to do. Not impossible, but to me that doesn't really mean you have a halfway decent shot at winning the championship.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT