ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Hillgroves call

But he’s not actually good at calling the game
Which is the job
Struggle with the concept of icon do ya? Guessing Harry Caray could not call a game for schitt the last ten years of his career either but fans of the Cubs adored him for his devotion to their team. Pretty sure Bob Euker lost a step or two also. Hope he does not get canned for not doing his "job"...

Struggle with the concept of icon do ya? Guessing Harry Caray could not call a game for schitt the last ten years of his career either but fans of the Cubs adored him for his devotion to their team. Pretty sure Bob Euker lost a step or two also. Hope he does not get canned for not doing his "job"...

He doesn't need to be canned. He needs his version of Joe Gordon, the friend who went to Myron Cope and told him that he was clearly in decline and it was time to start thinking about life after broadcasting. Then Pitt can transition him into a role where he is the host and emcee of events like the NIL event and the Hall of Fame ceremonies and stuff like that (assuming that he'd want to do it).

I struggle with the idea of a guy who has been bad at the functions of his job for at least 15 years
Is somehow protected because he’s old and getting worse at his job.
Bostick is the only reason football broadcasts are coherent -
And hillgrove is substantially worse at basketball calls

Reactions: Jim Z
I love Billy. He could be a stuttering idiot at this point and I wouldn't care. I have been listening to his iconic voice since I was a little boy. When he finally bags the gig I am going to miss him badly.
Billy is like an old slipper that you don't want to throw in the trash. He will in all probability go out on his terms; you just don't treat the GOAT local broadcaster any other way. Whiners are advised to turn down the sound.

Billy is like an old slipper that you don't want to throw in the trash. He will in all probability go out on his terms; you just don't treat the GOAT local broadcaster any other way. Whiners are advised to turn down the sound.
You might want to look up the definition of "whining" . It appears your attacking someone else's opinion to defend yours is more in line

I struggle with the idea of a guy who has been bad at the functions of his job for at least 15 years
Is somehow protected because he’s old and getting worse at his job.
Bostick is the only reason football broadcasts are coherent -
And hillgrove is substantially worse at basketball calls
He may make mistakes(which get corrected by Bostick and Aikens), but his voice is as good as ever.

My favorite

Hillgrove: SHOT! SCORE! FOUL!
Aiken: Traveling Bill.

Don't worry, he'll be gone soon and replaced by a generic, professional, cookie cutter guy that you'll just love.
As Someone with satellite radio - who has listened to the away game of broadcast over the years -
I assure you -
There are plenty of excellent and colorful broadcasters at other places who aren’t generic .
Hillgrove’s job is to paint a picture for the listener /
And he’s been unable to do that for either sport for a long time

That’s just reality

I mean folks think the familiar local guy is the best - hell even with an excellent local guy like Mike Lang -who is colorful and accurate for years - knew it was time to walk away.
And the Carolina hurricane’s Guy was likewise excellent

Reactions: Jim Z
Turn down the sound? It's radio. What's the point in listening to turn down the sound?
Now there you go using some common sense

It’s pretty clear those defending him aren’t listening in their cars while driving -
But watching the tv broadcast

Now there you go using some common sense

It’s pretty clear those defending him aren’t listening in their cars while driving -
But watching the tv broadcast
JHC, Billy Hilgrove doesn't need anyone, let alone me, to defend him. If listening to him is so distasteful, then follow online or on your phone, listen to the empty heads broadcasting on TV, or better yet get off your dead ass and attend a game. Problem solved.

I'm done. You are entitled to your opinion, but please recognize it is shared by a small minority.

JHC, Billy Hilgrove doesn't need anyone, let alone me, to defend him. If listening to him is so distasteful, then follow online or on your phone, listen to the empty heads broadcasting on TV, or better yet get off your dead ass and attend a game. Problem solved.

I'm done. You are entitled to your opinion, but please recognize it is shared by a small minority.
You understand the only time I’d listen to the radio is because I’m travelling , right ?
Like iI said - some common sense seems lacking.
Incoherency defending incoherence

Reactions: FireballZ
The fellow who does the Duquesne games is a few years older than Billy. He is slipping badly but no mention of him retiring. Most likely because nobody close to him has the balls to tell him he isnt very good anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT