ADVERTISEMENT

Blue/Gold results

Chaos

Assistant Coach
Gold Member
Jul 6, 2001
Can Pitzer really red shirt if he dominates the incumbent starter?

Reactions: persp
Help me understand why Pitzer wouldn't wrestle this year if he's the best wrestler at his weight class. I'm not a lifelong wrestler/wrestling fan. I'm guessing it's more of an individual sport whose wrestlers just happen to be on a team, and team outcomes aren't as important as individual results?

Reactions: Eric_Knopsnyder
Help me understand why Pitzer wouldn't wrestle this year if he's the best wrestler at his weight class. I'm not a lifelong wrestler/wrestling fan. I'm guessing it's more of an individual sport whose wrestlers just happen to be on a team, and team outcomes aren't as important as individual results?
I think the goal is for him to gain a bit more weight. He’s in a weird spot because he’s too big for 197 but a small heavyweight. I’m assuming they want him to use this year to bulk up a bit more.

It would be nice to have a 220 weight class in college, I’m sure a lot of kids would benefit from it.

That's part of it. Wrestling has always been handled differently than football or basketball, where the ability to go pro makes athletes more reluctant to redshirt. I suppose the rise of RTCs could change that, but it's not unheard of for returning All-Americans or even national champs to redshirt.
And, as NATiger said, the extra year could be extremely beneficial for PItzer's individual goals.
Finally, Gavin's response when I asked if the plan is still to redshirt Pitzer was "for now." So, Pitzer might make an appearance in a first-semester dual where he could make a difference - say Lehigh - as well as Midlands. If he's a legitimate contender after that, maybe he takes over the starter's spot in the second semester. If not, maybe he'd probably wrestle three ACC duals where he can make a difference in a push for a dual-meet title.

If Pitzer continues to put on weight the right way, what's the target number he has to reach to get the green light? If he's at 220 now and that's not enough, is the target 230? 240?

Reactions: Chaos
To add to my question, what was the lightest weight for an NCAA heavyweight champion the past 5 years?

Probably Kyle Snyder who was 220-225, but he was a generational talent, complete exception to the rule if you know what I mean.

Reactions: persp
Maybe the best ever was Lou Banach who weighed 214# when he won 2 ncaa championships including defeating Baumgartner in 1981 finals.

Was there any video of this event available anywhere? Flo maybe?

ADVERTISEMENT