ADVERTISEMENT

Board Moderation

FireballZ

Senior
Jan 3, 2016
I appreciate you jumping in and putting to bed a rumor that could unnecessarily tarnish a kid's reputation, Matt. It'd be nice if the same veracity and energy was used to extricate the small group of posters who repetitively spout negativity and stir rumoring intending to tarnish the Pitt basketball brand that MOST of us on here desire to support, rather than spending it clearing the name of a kid who absolutely spat in our program's face.

Last edited:
I appreciate you jumping in and putting to bed a rumor that could unnecessarily tarnish a kids reputation, Matt. It'd be nice if the same veracity and energy was used to extricate the small group of posters who repetitively spout negativity and false rumoring intending to tarnish the Pitt basketball brand that MOST of us on here desire to support, rather than spending it clearing the name of a kid who absolutely spat in our program's face.

How did Cam spit in the program's face? He graduated.

Baby.

Reactions: levance2
Part of the conversation was about what programs and boosters can and will do to recruit kids for their schools athletic teams . If Matt is worried about someones reputation being besmirched and people speculating then 90% of this board would be censored .

I appreciate you jumping in and putting to bed a rumor that could unnecessarily tarnish a kid's reputation, Matt. It'd be nice if the same veracity and energy was used to extricate the small group of posters who repetitively spout negativity and stir rumoring intending to tarnish the Pitt basketball brand that MOST of us on here desire to support, rather than spending it clearing the name of a kid who absolutely spat in our program's face.
I agree. Nobody should be able to admit publicly how bad we stink and how our ship is rudderless, adrift in a sea of blah. We shouldn't stand for anyone saying that.

Who gives you the right to decide anything?? Answer: no one. The jackals are the program-killers, along with Barnes. Tell us how great KS is to play for. Cameron took care of business at Pitt, now he's furthering his career.

I love Cam and have no problem with him transferring though I do have a problem with him trying to beat his alma mater 3-5 times by transferring in conference. I don't think that's right but I don't blame him from escaping this sinking ship.

I also don't think there was any rumor about him. You see a player with super expensive tickets, people wonder how he got them. The timing of it couldn't have been worse and considering the other program involved, I believe it is perfectly acceptable to have a message board conversation about it. However, it IS wronf to explicitly state that you know for a fact or are sure he got them from a certain place and I don't think anyone did that.

Plenty of posters have drug our players through the mud and most of those posts remain.

Again, I really like Cam. I truly hope he wins a National Championship next year. I really do and usually I'm not like that about transfers......but he's a major D1 athlete. In the age of social media, this stuff can't be avoided.

I disagree. Supporting the program does not preclude you from being critical when it is warranted.

Obviously it is your opinion that "negative" posting tarnishes the schools image. I'm just curious if you were as voracious about "being positive" during the last 2-3 years of Dixon's tenure when there was a constant stream of critical posts here, even after wins, shoot even after getting a NCAAT bid. I'm sure you must have felt the same way then????

Come play for Pitt, we have the most miserable fans in the country!
we are in the middle of a decline in a hoops program that is unprecedented. we literally had our whole team minus one player either leave or be asked to leave. that's never happened. you want us to be happy?

Reactions: NC Panther
I didn't really pay attention to the Cam's Excellent NBA Adventure thread. Frankly spending a night in Cleveland for an NBA game sounds more like punishment to me. But I couldn't care less if he gets to spend a night in Katy Perry for that matter (especially not the new bleached feminazi version), nor whether UNC or his parents paid for it.

But the guy blew off my school, purposely avoided going to equally elite schools that don't play us, and put Pitt in an ugly public position to play for a conference enemy.

I'm not gonna root for someone who did that.

It's like the Shell thread on the other board. I couldn't care less about him personally. From a human standpoint i hope he does ok in life. Again I really don't care but I don't wanna have to pay for him.

But from a sports standpoint, which is all this is, I hope he fails. Because his recent actions screwed my school.

This is proper, NORMAL college sports fan thinking.

Save your outrage. No proselytizing from phony holier-than-Gallagher trolls, with the agenda to see Pitt stink because they miss Dixon, or perversely think losing is good for academics, or have a Che Guavera poster in their moms basement etc. will change my PERFECTLY NORMAL thinking.

we are in the middle of a decline in a hoops program that is unprecedented. we literally had our whole team minus one player either leave or be asked to leave. that's never happened. you want us to be happy?

I think there's plenty to be angry about in regards to the coach and the administration. I just don't understand the interest in alleging NCAA violations against a guy who never really did anything wrong in three years at Pitt. We just finished a season in which there were daily threads talking about how posters couldn't wait until Young and Artis were no longer in the program.

It is beyond ironic to post about blocking negativity when these same people have no restraint when it comes to bad mouthing players. It's bizarre. It's petty. It's bitter. I don't know why any recruit would want to come here when our fans have no problem turning on our players.

Hell, we had people all but rooting against Steve Adams in the NBA just to retroactively rationalize their argument that he shouldn't have left Pitt. We have really stupid, selfish fans.

Last edited:
I love Cam and have no problem with him transferring though I do have a problem with him trying to beat his alma mater 3-5 times by transferring in conference. I don't think that's right but I don't blame him from escaping this sinking ship.
Exactly how I feel too.

I didn't really pay attention to the Cam's Excellent NBA Adventure thread. Frankly spending a night in Cleveland for an NBA game sounds more like punishment to me. But I couldn't care less if he gets to spend a night in Katy Perry for that matter (especially not the new bleached feminazi version), nor whether UNC or his parents paid for it.

But the guy blew off my school, purposely avoided going to equally elite schools that don't play us, and put Pitt in an ugly public position to play for a conference enemy.

It's like the Shell thread on the other board. I couldn't care less about him personally. From a human standpoint i hope he does ok in life. Again I really don't care but I don't wanna have to pay for him.

But from a sports standpoint, which is all this is, I hope he fails. Because his recent actions screwed my school.

Save your outrage. No proselytizing from phony holier-than-Gallagher trolls, with the agenda to see Pitt stink because they miss Dixon, or perversely think losing is good for academics, or have a Che Guavera poster in their moms basement etc. will change my PERFECTLY NORMAL thinking.
..."or perversely think losing is good for academics"....

????? Not sure I've seen anyone posting something like that.

Reactions: GrowthHormone

Don't tear your rotator cuff.

I'd love to know where Johnson got the NBA tickets. I'd love to know why he picked UNC when he could have gone anywhere else and not started this controversy.

I'd also like to know exactly what Barnes was thinking when he hired Stallings. And why Dixon didn't hire better assistants. And lots of other things.

But I can accept the fact that I'm never going to really know any of these things, and really don't deserve to know. It's just sad to see what's happened to this program, and read this message board. Maybe I was just deceiving myself, thinking that Pitt was going to establish itself as an elite program when it was probably just in a prolonged up period in the cycle. Hopefully this down period isn't as prolonged.

I'd love to know where Johnson got the NBA tickets. I'd love to know why he picked UNC when he could have gone anywhere else and not started this controversy.

I'd also like to know exactly what Barnes was thinking when he hired Stallings. And why Dixon didn't hire better assistants. And lots of other things.

But I can accept the fact that I'm never going to really know any of these things, and really don't deserve to know. It's just sad to see what's happened to this program, and read this message board. Maybe I was just deceiving myself, thinking that Pitt was going to establish itself as an elite program when it was probably just in a prolonged up period in the cycle. Hopefully this down period isn't as prolonged.
In Cam's defense, it was widely reported his finalists were Kentucky, Arizona and UNC. The spots at Kentucky and Arizona dried up, so he was left with UNC. But I understand that he did have other less elite options.

If you have a kid, and he is fat and dumb, while you may still love him and he is beautiful to you, that does not change the fact that your kid is fat and dumb.

It's not unreasonable to want ... And get ... answers to these questions. They weren't little deep in the weeds details. They're huge decisions (blunders). It's frustrating that reporters don't bother to do the slightest analysis. Not for masochism. But to highlight idiocy as an incentive for new chancellor's, Ads, and coaches to avoid repeating them ... over and over and over. But the Pitt beats in Pittsburgh media are strictly meant to cover the games (grudgingly) for a few years and hope to advance to the juicy Pens or Steelers beats. Never the slightest diligent reporting.

But equally frustrating and more mystifying are our "fans" who seem to not want to know or question these dumb decisions! " We suck, oh well". That's crazy. Many pay good money for this, or at least spend precious recreational time, plus for many, it's the schools name that is on their degree that is getting dragged through the crap...

I think there's plenty to be angry about in regards to the coach and the administration. I just don't understand the interest in alleging NCAA violations against a guy who never really did anything wrong in three years at Pitt. We just finished a season in which there were daily threads talking about how posters couldn't wait until Young and Artis were no longer in the program.

It is beyond ironic to post about blocking negativity when these same people have no restraint when it comes to bad mouthing players. It's bizarre. It's petty. It's bitter. I don't know why any recruit would want to come here when our fans have no problem turning on our players.

Hell, we had people all but rooting against Steve Adams in the NBA just to retroactively rationalize their argument that he shouldn't have left Pitt. We have really stupid, selfish fans.
Nobody is actively rooting against Adams. Wishing he'd have remained is perfectly normal though. I wish just about every Pitt guy who left early had stayed another year. Who wouldn't want another year of Fitz, Shady, Boyd et al. It doesn't mean you don't understand or appreciate why they left. And they won't be coming back to play Pitt... twice..like Johnson.

So i understand why the kid left a sinking ship and I even get why he'd like to go to Carolina. They win and they give you cool shit! But I sure as hell won't be rooting for him against Pitt!

Unless you can prove that Gallagher will awaken from his slumber, can Stallings and hire a legit coach if Cam goes nuts on us. Then I'll get behind it.

Exactly, go ahead and kick FireballZ to the curb, sick of his judgmental BS. He is no authority to demand that anybody be "extricated".

I disagree. Supporting the program does not preclude you from being critical when it is warranted.
Exactly! and right now, this program sucks and it should be shouted from the mountain tops until somebody does something about it.

I don't blame him, I'd go to UNC if they wanted me, and have a chance at the NC, even if it meant embarrassing Pitt on the court, it's normal to put yourself #1.

I don't blame him, I'd go to UNC if they wanted me, and have a chance at the NC, even if it meant embarrassing Pitt on the court, it's normal to put yourself #1.
Agreed. But it's NOT normal for PITT FANS to be ROOTING FOR HIM to do it. That's preposterous. He comes on the court in the baby powder blue, he's an enemy combatant. He takes an elbow (accidentally of course) to the orbital bone, I may not cheer (not as far as any of YOU know) but I ain't weeping either.

Nope - being unhappy and rooting for failure are different things.

Nobody is actively rooting against Adams. Wishing he'd have remained is perfectly normal though. I wish just about every Pitt guy who left early had stayed another year.

People were posting for months about what a mistake he made and it didn't take long for all those people to be shut up.

We just had a long thread on here a few months ago where people (maybe just Del?) were making fun of Blair for signing in China after 7 seasons (!!) in the NBA as if returning to Pitt would have kept him in the league for decades.

These are athletes with lives of their own. Their number one responsibility is not to appease you as a fan. If Cam wants to play at UNC instead of going 0-18 at Pitt, that is the most rational decision he could make.

Reactions: GrowthHormone
Nope - being unhappy and rooting for failure are different things.
People were posting for months about what a mistake he made and it didn't take long for all those people to be shut up.

We just had a long thread on here a few months ago where people (maybe just Del?) were making fun of Blair for signing in China after 7 seasons (!!) in the NBA as if returning to Pitt would have kept him in the league for decades.

These are athletes with lives of their own. Their number one responsibility is not to appease you as a fan. If Cam wants to play at UNC instead of going 0-18 at Pitt, that is the most rational decision he could make.
Anyone who wishes ill on a Pitt player who is in the pros because he left early is way over the line. After all, while he won't be playing for Pitt any longer, he won't be playing against Pitt either.

But as far as Johnson, who will be playing Pitt twice ... his best interest is certainly his number 1 responsibility for sure. But my number 1 responsibility as a fan/alum is to root vigorously for, and rejoice at, the failure of any player on any team who plays Pitt.

But as far as Johnson, who will be playing Pitt twice ... his best interest is certainly his number 1 responsibility for sure. But my number 1 responsibility as a fan/alum is to root vigorously for, and rejoice at, the failure of any player on any team who plays Pitt.

Not cheering for him at UNC is fine, but it's another thing entirely to be slinging baseless accusations of NCAA violations. Whether he's in NC caring for the homeless or making it rain in strip clubs, I couldn't care less. He's gone, get over it.

Not cheering for him at UNC is fine, but it's another thing entirely to be slinging baseless accusations of NCAA violations. Whether he's in NC caring for the homeless or making it rain in strip clubs, I couldn't care less. He's gone, get over it.
Well I said similarly in my original post. Who cares what perks he's getting? So we agree!

Agreed. But it's NOT normal for PITT FANS to be ROOTING FOR HIM to do it. That's preposterous. He comes on the court in the baby powder blue, he's an enemy combatant. He takes an elbow (accidentally of course) to the orbital bone, I may not cheer (not as far as any of YOU know) but I ain't weeping either.
Who's cheering for him? I'm just man enough to admit that I'd do the same. It's like when Steelers fans get mad that a player leaves in free agency for more money, hell if the Ravens offered me $10k to be a fan, I WOULD, unless the Steelers countered with $10,001.

In this particular case, I don't even feel really bad, because with him or without we lose to UNC by 50, it's not like him switching sides changes the outcome.

Who's cheering for him? I'm just man enough to admit that I'd do the same. It's like when Steelers fans get mad that a player leaves in free agency for more money, hell if the Ravens offered me $10k to be a fan, I WOULD, unless the Steelers countered with $10,001.
The original insinuation of this thread and multiple others has been that they would actively root for him to do well, even (possibly even specifically) against Pitt. Whether the agenda is (1) hate for Stallings (2) love for Dixon (3) the MAN holding the persecuted worker back (4) losing makes our academics look better, its all preposterous. Guy blew us off and will be coming in wearing a different uniform. You don't root for him, at least that day.

In this particular case, I don't even feel really bad, because with him or without we lose to UNC by 50, it's not like him switching sides changes the outcome.
Yes and it's been clearly established that this hopelessness is why Gallagher should be fired. But it's the principle.

The original insinuation of this thread and multiple others has been that they would actively root for him to do well, even (possibly even specifically) against Pitt. Whether the agenda is (1) hate for Stallings (2) love for Dixon (3) the MAN holding the persecuted worker back (4) losing makes our academics look better, its all preposterous. Guy blew us off and will be coming in wearing a different uniform. You don't root for him, at least that day.
I'll be rooting for Pitt, I root for uniforms and colors, not people. I always root for the Steelers to destroy Shady McCoy or Larry Fitzgerald, but will be rooting for James Conner to become a hall of famer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT