ADVERTISEMENT

Board Moderation

I'll be rooting for Pitt, I root for uniforms and colors, not people. I always root for the Steelers to destroy Shady McCoy or Larry Fitzgerald, but will be rooting for James Conner to become a hall of famer.
Tell it to the bleeding hearts and admin sycophants here, brudder. I'm the choir.

I loved Cam Johnson... playing for Pitt, now I don't really care how he does. I always root against blue blood programs like UNC, so I won't be enthusiastic to root for him.

Nobody is actively rooting against Adams. Wishing he'd have remained is perfectly normal though. I wish just about every Pitt guy who left early had stayed another year.

People were posting for months about what a mistake he made and it didn't take long for all those people to be shut up.

We just had a long thread on here a few months ago where people (maybe just Del?) were making fun of Blair for signing in China after 7 seasons (!!) in the NBA as if returning to Pitt would have kept him in the league for decades.

These are athletes with lives of their own. Their number one responsibility is not to appease you as a fan. If Cam wants to play at UNC instead of going 0-18 at Pitt, that is the most rational decision he could make.

FWIW, I was vocal about Adams making a big mistake, having to start in the D-league, etc. I was wrong but I never rooted against him. I hope he does well but I really don't care either way. He was an above average college center who was at Pitt for 10 months and had little impact on a team that was blown out in the R64 as a mid-range seed. So, to me, he is a Pitt Panther, but barely.

Plus I have inside sources about his exit that I posted before and won't post again. His exit was sudden and unexpected. Jamie expected him, was caught off-guard and had no back-up plan.

But as far as Johnson, who will be playing Pitt twice ... his best interest is certainly his number 1 responsibility for sure. But my number 1 responsibility as a fan/alum is to root vigorously for, and rejoice at, the failure of any player on any team who plays Pitt.

Not cheering for him at UNC is fine, but it's another thing entirely to be slinging baseless accusations of NCAA violations. Whether he's in NC caring for the homeless or making it rain in strip clubs, I couldn't care less. He's gone, get over it.

Do you think its unreasonable for a fan to wonder or have a conversation about how a player could get something very expensive directly after transferring to maybe the dirtiest program in the land? You know we are human, right?

Do you think its unreasonable for a fan to wonder or have a conversation about how a player could get something very expensive directly after transferring to maybe the dirtiest program in the land? You know we are human, right?
No not all. That thread didn't bother me at all. It's so obvious its payola that its laughable to even debate it (other than lament Pitt refuses to do it) but certainly legit to talk of. I was more addressing the guy who was all uppity about the "negativity" toward Cam, because, well, who the heck knows his agenda ... I've listed the 4 probable ones above...

Reactions: DiehardPanther

Yeah I do actually. I assume his family has money or connections or both.

As I posted several times in that deleted thread: He already left Pitt. UNC boosters could give him a mansion in the Hamptons and it has no impact on the decision he made about staying or leaving our program. People being butthurt after the fact is silly. Unless someone is going to allege that Cam was lured away from the program, it is completely inconsequential.

In Cam's defense, it was widely reported his finalists were Kentucky, Arizona and UNC. The spots at Kentucky and Arizona dried up, so he was left with UNC. But I understand that he did have other less elite options.
Are you sure that when he researched their grad programs that UNC wasn't the best fit for him ? Total sham this grad transfer rule .

Total sham for an athlete who actually graduated from college to play?

Weird logic
Everyone who transfers should be subjected to the same rules . Transfer sit out a yr . The grad transfer rule hurts the smaller schools who've invested 3/4 yrs into a players development and when the player can help the program out the most they leave for a better place . Open transfers in cases other than when a coach leaves or major NCAA sanctions would creat total havoc in college athletics .
Now if it was truly for academic reasons that's another story . All these grad transfers including Cam are more concerned with playing ball than what grad programs UNC or Kentucky has .

Everyone who transfers should be subjected to the same rules . Transfer sit out a yr . The grad transfer rule hurts the smaller schools who've invested 3/4 yrs into a players development and when the player can help the program out the most they leave for a better place . Open transfers in cases other than when a coach leaves or major NCAA sanctions would creat total havoc in college athletics .
Now if it was truly for academic reasons that's another story . All these grad transfers including Cam are more concerned with playing ball than what grad programs UNC or Kentucky has .
They are.
And some non-grad transfers are likewise allowed to be immediately eligible.
Grad transfers all play by the same rules by the NCAA and the acc.
Same as grad transfers we added were eligible immediately.
Get over your butt hurt.

Carolina belongs on probation and should be hit with sanctions as well. I hope they get a post-season ban for next year so Cam can have a great year and miss the tournament once again. I hate Carolina, they are a cheating program that is revered by many. Of course, they will get nothing in the way of sanctions, because the greedy NCAA is ball-less and doen't want to lose money based on Carolina's absence from the tournament.

Everyone who transfers should be subjected to the same rules .

Oddly enough, with a few exceptions transfers in the NCAA are immediately eligible to play. It's only football, basketball hockey and baseball that require any transfers to sit out.

Maybe the NCAA should treat all basketball players the same way they treat soccer players and wrestlers and the rest.

Total sham for an athlete who actually graduated from college to play?

Weird logic

I don't think it is this, why Pitt fans are so "butt hurt" to use another poster's phrase. The fact that is Carolina, IN conference, hurts. The fact that it is Carolina who selects and not recruits, who should be on probation and who's athletic department has appeared to be a poster child of what the NCAA is supposed to be for, and they get a ready made, plug and play. If Cam was transferring to Arizona or Kentucky, I don't think you would see that same reaction.

Reactions: bobfree
I don't think it is this, why Pitt fans are so "butt hurt" to use another poster's phrase. The fact that is Carolina, IN conference, hurts. The fact that it is Carolina who selects and not recruits, who should be on probation and who's athletic department has appeared to be a poster child of what the NCAA is supposed to be for, and they get a ready made, plug and play. If Cam was transferring to Arizona or Kentucky, I don't think you would see that same reaction.
Kentucky and Arizona select as well, it's nonsense.

We are going to be garbage this season...that should be the concern

Oddly enough, with a few exceptions transfers in the NCAA are immediately eligible to play. It's only football, basketball hockey and baseball that require any transfers to sit out.

Maybe the NCAA should treat all basketball players the same way they treat soccer players and wrestlers and the rest.
The problem with bb and FB allowing non restrictive transfers is all the non elite schools would become feeder programs for the elite . It would eventually filter down to every level we're any kid whose under recruited would leave their program to move up . It would creat a mess and the cheating would ramp up . I have no issues with allowing transfers for HC changes , NCAA sanctions , family issues or even true academic issues .

The problem with bb and FB allowing non restrictive transfers is all the non elite schools would become feeder programs for the elite . It would eventually filter down to every level we're any kid whose under recruited would leave their program to move up . It would creat a mess and the cheating would ramp up . I have no issues with allowing transfers for HC changes , NCAA sanctions , family issues or even true academic issues .
Except it doesn't really happen at all

The problem with bb and FB allowing non restrictive transfers is all the non elite schools would become feeder programs for the elite . It would eventually filter down to every level we're any kid whose under recruited would leave their program to move up .

The NCAA sponsors 32 mens and womens sports where transfers are immediately eligible to play at their new school. The scenario that you describe happens in exactly none of them.

The grad transfer rule has it changed , and it doesn't happen
Because you already put in four yrs to graduate ( except Cam ) and only have one yr left . If your a special player you've already left for the pros . You don't grad transfer to further your professional opportunities it's for guys who want one more yr of organized ball and for a very few to further their education on the house .

The NCAA sponsors 32 mens and womens sports where transfers are immediately eligible to play at their new school. The scenario that you describe happens in exactly none of them.
It happened in the NCAA golf where a quality player transferred to play at Oregon who made match play in the NCAAs . They don't make match play without him .
Money sports is were it would wreck havoc not on women's lacrosse , golf or cross country .
Why wouldn't Pitt FB go after every good freshman cornerback that played mid major ball last yr and why wouldn't Alabama go after any exceptional freshman that played for Pitt . If you don't think it would creat a major mess your wrong magnify the problems that high schools who recruit athletes by 1000 .

Talking out of your butt again...your favorite habit. I said hat Blair had stood to get a better first contract had he stayed at Pitt another year and reaped the benefit of the hype of being an all everything player. There are plenty of examples of that happening. Only an idiot would believe that playing in China is something to crow about...congratulations!

Screw Cam Johnson. But for Pitt he would have had to play for Rice. I hope he has a miserable 2 years at UNC! I hope he's booed mercilessly at the Pete...what he deserves.
The only thing that would've helped Blair was if he'd have grown another 4/5 inches . Pros draft on potential not on college clippings .
I thought Adams would've benefited by staying another yr , but I was wrong . Getting drafted as high as he did proves the point that it's all about potential . You can't compare the impact of Blair vs Adams while at Pitt . Always take the money if your ready .
I'm with ya , I hope Cam gets booed out of the Pete . I'd have rooted for him if he transferred out of the ACC .

It happened in the NCAA golf where a quality player transferred to play at Oregon who made match play in the NCAAs . They don't make match play without him .
Money sports is were it would wreck havoc not on women's lacrosse , golf or cross country .
Why wouldn't Pitt FB go after every good freshman cornerback that played mid major ball last yr and why wouldn't Alabama go after any exceptional freshman that played for Pitt . If you don't think it would creat a major mess your wrong magnify the problems that high schools who recruit athletes by 1000 .

Why doesn't Pitt soccer go after every good player at a lower level? Why doesn't Penn State wrestling go after every good Pitt wrestler? Do you think that wrestlers or soccer players and coaches are less competitive and don't care as much about winning as football players and coaches? If so, you are nuts. And yet there is no wholesale transferring of players from lower level teams to higher level teams. Does it happen occasionally? Of course it does. But the best teams are built off of high school recruits, not transfers from lower level programs.

The only thing that would've helped Blair was if he'd have grown another 4/5 inches . Pros draft on potential not on college clippings .
I thought Adams would've benefited by staying another yr , but I was wrong . Getting drafted as high as he did proves the point that it's all about potential . You can't compare the impact of Blair vs Adams while at Pitt . Always take the money if your ready .
I'm with ya , I hope Cam gets booed out of the Pete . I'd have rooted for him if he transferred out of the ACC .
Really, how about the center from NC a few years back who couldn't jump but went in the first round? The pros get caught up in the hype all the time.

It sickens me that there are babies who want people to keep quiet if they do not like the way the program is going. So I guess if we are not in favor we should just sit back and not say anything? Grow up OP

Really, how about the center from NC a few years back who couldn't jump but went in the first round? The pros get caught up in the hype all the time.
They all make mistakes in every sport , but Blair was a 6'5" center without an outside game . I'd bet you that NC center wasn't 6'5" . Potential isn't always fulfilled i.e. JJ Moore .

It sickens me that there are babies who want people to keep quiet if they do not like the way the program is going. So I guess if we are not in favor we should just sit back and not say anything? Grow up OP
Let me guess: didn't go to Pitt, considers Kennywood a vacation spot and fish sammies a delicacy?

There is a difference between constructive criticism and having an agenda detrimental to the program's future. There aren't many that are happy with the current state, but Stallings is going nowhere until at least March 2019, so rooting for failure like the people I called out, means that you are rooting against Pitt.

Because you already put in four yrs to graduate ( except Cam ) and only have one yr left . If your a special player you've already left for the pros . You don't grad transfer to further your professional opportunities it's for guys who want one more yr of organized ball and for a very few to further their education on the house .
Exactly.
So stop this imaginary angst about being a farm system for elite programs.

No. That's just wrong. For one... that means he wins. That is what his father wants. It's all about the attention.

I suspect there's at least some truth to this.

I've met Cam and spoken to this young man a couple dozen times. Great kid. Could never want to boo him.

I suspect there's at least some truth to this.

I've met Cam and spoken to this young man a couple dozen times. Great kid. Could never want to boo him.
I don't hate the kid , but if your a Panther fan he left your team when they needed him the most and he went to a team in your conference you play every yr . A double whammy .
Now would I rather play for UNC than Pitt , it's a no brainer !
If you allowed all players to transfer without restrictions this would be a common occurrence with your best players constantly leaving schools like Pitt for greener pastures . It would widen the gap between the haves and have nots . A kid like Cam who no one wanted four yrs ago goes to UNC is a prime example of what would happen .

I don't hate the kid , but if your a Panther fan he left your team when they needed him the most and he went to a team in your conference you play every yr . A double whammy .
Now would I rather play for UNC than Pitt , it's a no brainer !
If you allowed all players to transfer without restrictions this would be a common occurrence with your best players constantly leaving schools like Pitt for greener pastures . It would widen the gap between the haves and have nots . A kid like Cam who no one wanted four yrs ago goes to UNC is a prime example of what would happen .
Needed him most???
We'd be garbage next year with cam.

Needed him most???
We'd be garbage next year with cam.
With him Pitt could at least be competitive in the OOC schedule . With that attitude why do you care who
KS recruits or misses on because there's not one guy out there that will make a difference this year .

With him Pitt could at least be competitive in the OOC schedule . With that attitude why do you care who
KS recruits or misses on because there's not one guy out there that will make a difference this year .
I care because he destroyed the staff and hasn't replaced them with higher quality players.

Fairly obvious

I care because he destroyed the staff and hasn't replaced them with higher quality players.

Fairly obvious
I think you mean roster ? If so you need to take off your rose colored glasses . Except for Cam those players who left will not be missed . ( if you'd ever like to win )

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT