ADVERTISEMENT

Boeheim claims Pitt “bought a team”

Well, this is more a generic rant against the existence of the transfer portal and against NIL money than it is specifically against Pitt alone. He cites Pitt and Wake Forest as examples of what he hates about the portal and NIL because they didn't get better solely by recruiting freshmen. Apparently he sees it as putting Cuse at a disadvantage and ruining college basketball and that the portal/NIL is why Coach K and Jay Wright retired when they did.
Also, need to remember that this is the same Boeheim (along with Jamie Dixon) who was very unhappy about joining the ACC and leaving the Big East.

Regarding joining the ACC--he was right in that it has hurt Syracuse basketball; but, not as much as it has hurt Pitt basketball up until this season (at least so far).

The guy is a jerk and fading fast as far as his faculties. It’s sad schools don’t have the courage or integrity to take them out of their misery. As with Woody Hayes, Paterno, et al it doesn’t end well. These guys feel like they’re gods and as their judgement and sense fades they become more and more buffoonish. Lyke hopefully laid into their AD privately to force that admission.

Like all the players he had over the last 20 plus years from the inner city were headed to Syracuse because of the weather. I hope we run up the score on this buffoon!

Also, need to remember that this is the same Boeheim (along with Jamie Dixon) who was very unhappy about joining the ACC and leaving the Big East.

Regarding joining the ACC--he was right in that it has hurt Syracuse basketball; but, not as much as it has hurt Pitt basketball up until this season (at least so far).

I hate this excuse. Pitt or Syracuse would have been no better had they turned down the ACC invite, went independent in football and joined the Catholic 7 in the new Big East. Pitt and Syracuse were crushed by:

- Jay Wright
- Ed Cooley
- Kevin Willard
- Jim Larranaga recruiting I95
- Steve Pikiell
- Pat Chambers (to a lesser extent)

Those are 5 dead programs that all hired good recruiters at generally the same time and then Jay Wright turned Nova into a blue blood meaning you could no longer beat them for a recruit like Pitt and Syr used to.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
I hate this excuse. Pitt or Syracuse would have been no better had they turned down the ACC invite, went independent in football and joined the Catholic 7 in the new Big East. Pitt and Syracuse were crushed by:

- Jay Wright
- Ed Cooley
- Kevin Willard
- Jim Larranaga recruiting I95
- Steve Pikiell
- Pat Chambers (to a lesser extent)

Those are 5 dead programs that all hired good recruiters at generally the same time and then Jay Wright turned Nova into a blue blood meaning you could no longer beat them for a recruit like Pitt and Syr used to.

Yes I largely agree. But there is some truth to the fact that neither program fully adapted and suffered. Syracuse suffered less given they recruited better and were always a better shooting team.

Our recruiting was so bad back then. We essentially whiffed on multiple classes. No way to stay afloat with that, no matter the conference and who the coach is. I know there has been legitimate questions about Capels progress until this year. But I give him credit for the hole we appear to be rebounding from. Much worse than where we were at after Willard.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Apparently he apologized today for implying that schools were doing something illegal. Still funny that he thinks this Pitt team was put together because of big NIL money.

He did have that one assistant coach that was like Sandusky
Well, Boeheim played bball at Syracuse, and never left there. I think he graduated around 1967, and became head coach in 1976. So counting his student and assistant coach years there, he has been there for 60 years. He is like Paterno in the sense that he has nothing outside of coaching, and has no clue what to do in retirement. He could work part time as a speaker at Syracuse alumni gatherings and raise money for the CUSE. You know, 250.00 a plate, and hear Boeheim for an hour.

Louisville might want to buy a team. God are they awful…. Their like just off a death penalty bad

Louisville might want to buy a team. God are they awful…. Their like just off a death penalty bad

They remind me of the Pitt team several years ago. Early in the game, they were moving the ball and playing pretty good. On one play, some guard was jumping up and down wanting the ball. The point guard never passed, dribbled excessively and made a layup. I knew then that they were done. It reminded me of the Johnson | McGowans days.

They remind me of the Pitt team several years ago. Early in the game, they were moving the ball and playing pretty good. On one play, some guard was jumping up and down wanting the ball. The point guard never passed, dribbled excessively and made a layup. I knew then that they were done. It reminded me of the Johnson | McGowans days.

They have a decent amount of ACC players but there's no coaching, no cohesion, and they lack effort defensively. Also, no true PG really hurts. Probably a lot of X/McGowens types as you said. Some talent but just not guys you want to play with. They're probably sleeping with each other's girlfriends too.

They have a decent amount of ACC players but there's no coaching, no cohesion, and they lack effort defensively. Also, no true PG really hurts. Probably a lot of X/McGowens types as you said. Some talent but just not guys you want to play with. They're probably sleeping with each other's girlfriends too.
They are 3-21 . I think their girlfriends dumped them.

I’m surprised they haven’t. There’s a lot of big donors in that state and not all went to UK. Watch for Louisville next year to make a Pitt-like turnaround.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT