ADVERTISEMENT

Bottom Line on the Transfers

Matt Steinbrink

Head Coach
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
I have noticed a lot of discussion about this recently. That is natural. I guess I am just a little surprised about some of the reactions.

I stated months ago that this was going to happen. It may not be over either. Would not be surprised to see two more.

At the end of the day, are any of these transfers surprising or disappointing? I don't think so. I would argue that Corey Manigault could have been developed. With that being said, he did not look ready this year and the thought of him developing is debatable. We will see. Crisshawn Clark could play, but they can't afford to hang onto a kid and hope for a medical miracle. Damon was never going to play. Neither was Justin. Jonathan Milligan is never going to play next year. Rozelle has a ceiling of what he did this year.

If Rozelle and/or Jonathan go, I don't see anything alarming with that. If Cameron and/or Ryan leave, then we can have a discussion. I feel bad for the kids, and just slightly bad for the coach. Neither side signed up for it. So it is just a tough situation. Based on what we saw this past summer and this year, I have not seen a transfer yet that would make me cry.

With all of that being said, it is another bad look nationally. Not because they are losing talented kids, but perception is reality. When you see all of the announced transfers, I would think most people just assume that the kid isn't happy and that he is leaving. When you see the news come out about kids leaving other schools, what is your assumption? I don't know, everyone is different. Even if the kids can't play, I think there is still that national outside assumption that the player isn't happy and there is an amount of uncertainty there.

Not the end of the world and it isn't going to change whether or not these guys succeed here, but it won't make it any easier. If this staff is going to succeed here, it will depend on what they do with these freshmen coming in and the 2018 kids. What has left and is leaving the program now has no relevance on how they will do here. Just makes the recruiting job slightly tougher.

Speaking of the transfer market, it is a good situation for Pitt. They should have at least three spots to play with. Of course, for every transfer it means that someone else gained a scholarship. The grad transfer market is going to be extremely competitive once again.

Reactions: AJSH2P
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News