ADVERTISEMENT

Bracketolgy update thread

Six weeks ago, if you would have told me we would be in the conversation at this point I would not have believed you.
I posted this in another thread, but after the Tenn. Martin game I thought we had something, but after VCU I was questioning my talent evaluation chops. I think I have a pretty good eye for talent, and I thought I was slipping.

Reactions: TWPitt
Six weeks ago, if you would have told me we would be in the conversation at this point I would not have believed you.

I said all summer that this team had a chance to get to the bubble but that's when I thought Hugley would be like 1st team All ACC. I thought with him plus the old guards, they could be in the conversation. I didn't "predict" it though as I said 8-12. But after that 1 week in November, I am definitely surprised and the fact they are doing it without Hugley is more surprising.

What’s wild is I thought our best case scenario was NIT and that was with JH and Dior being our two best players.

To lose them both and be NCAA bound (possibly) would be crazy!

Reactions: cabe23
I posted this in another thread, but after the Tenn. Martin game I thought we had something, but after VCU I was questioning my talent evaluation chops. I think I have a pretty good eye for talent, and I thought I was slipping.
I thought the same. Didn't think we would be this good but after that thought maybe NIT bubble was the ceiling with John being hurt. Fede has been the really nice surprise for this team and he doesn't show up on the stat sheet as much - he is the key -- the early Capel Teams had TB dropping so many passes or double clutching and getting stuffed or missing on those rolls. He is a decent passer for a big guy too. Seems every game he hits a cutter or 2 for an easy basket.

I thought the same. Didn't think we would be this good but after that thought maybe NIT bubble was the ceiling with John being hurt. Fede has been the really nice surprise for this team and he doesn't show up on the stat sheet as much - he is the key -- the early Capel Teams had TB dropping so many passes or double clutching and getting stuffed or missing on those rolls. He is a decent passer for a big guy too. Seems every game he hits a cutter or 2 for an easy basket.
Capel's past teams' were not committed to playing defense for various reasons. This team is, and Fede's ability to move and hedge and recover as well as play help D is a big reason why it is so much better. He is the anchor.

Before Saturday, Pitt was the best of the "First Four" teams in Bracket Matrix. In 30 of the 56 brackets. Funny thing is PSU is in basically the same spot as us. Could be a Pitt/PSU game in Dayton.

With this loss, I think we probably fall to First Four Out but we're still right there

Bracket Matrix

1/9 update

Last 4 In
Utah State
Pitt
Clemson
Arizona State

Pitt is in 33 of the 56 brackets. A few seeds. Even 1 7 seed.

Lunardi does not have Pitt in his latest bracket. Also not Last 4 out or Next 4 out.

I will most likely cry the first game I see us back in the tourney on a crisp, snowy March afternoon, give it to me

When I think of those 1st 2 Rounds, I think of an unseasonably warm day in the 60s. Feels like Spring. Sun is out. Everything just feels right with the world. I can still remember coming home from school when I was a kid, watching the end of those 1st sessions then it would he warm enough to go shoot some buckets outside and try to replicate some of the games you just watched.

Lunardi and Palm both have Pitt as one of their last 4 teams. Lunardi had them left out last week and said he screwed up not having Pitt in the brackets the middle of last week even after the losses to both Clemson and at Duke. Pitt has a NET currently at 58 and they have 2 very winnable games coming up this week at Louisville on Wednesday and home against Florida State on Saturday afternoon. Need to win both of these games and get to 7-2 overall in the ACC before the big two home games next week with Wake and Miami. I think wins against both Wake and Miami can go a long long way toward Pitt putting a down payment on a tournament spot if they can somehow win both of those games.

Lunardi and Palm both have Pitt as one of their last 4 teams. Lunardi had them left out last week and said he screwed up not having Pitt in the brackets the middle of last week even after the losses to both Clemson and at Duke. Pitt has a NET currently at 58 and they have 2 very winnable games coming up this week at Louisville on Wednesday and home against Florida State on Saturday afternoon. Need to win both of these games and get to 7-2 overall in the ACC before the big two home games next week with Wake and Miami. I think wins against both Wake and Miami can go a long long way toward Pitt putting a down payment on a tournament spot if they can somehow win both of those games.
They better win the next 2 because even with wins, their NET will probably go down. If the lose one of them, hello cliff.

They better win the next 2 because even with wins, their NET will probably go down. If the lose one of them, hello cliff.
7 of Pitt’s next 10 games between now and February 21st in about 5 weeks are 2 with Louisville home and away, 2 with Florida State home and away, At Virginia Tech, and Boston College and Georgia Tech at home. The 3 other games are the home games with Wake and Miami the next 2 weeks, and at North Carolina on February 1st. I think 8-2 in that stretch is not out of the question. They have to be able to win the games against the mediocre to bad teams in the conference during this stretch. If they can do that and secure a win at home against Miami even if they lose on the road at North Carolina they should have an at large bid pretty secure.

Didn’t you spend like a week and a half obsessing over NET?

Yes and I said a few times that I haven't paid much attention to bracketolgy since Dixon left and I didnt realize they dont they dont use NET the way they used RPI. RPI was basically the be all end all. Your RPI, more or less, was your seed. NET is used only to make the Quads.

And in Columbus….Purdue probably wouldn’t be thrilled with that if we played them in the second round. I’d imagine you’d get a fair number of Pitt fans

Where they place these teams in these bracketolgy updates is meaningless. That said, Purdue would have many more fans than Pitt. It would be like a Purdue home game the way they'd travel for it. I have been thinking about Columbus though because every time Pitt got a lower seed, they were always shipped away whereas WVU got to play in Pgh as a 10 seed. Cincy got to play in Columbus as a 10. Wisconsin played us in Milwaukee as a 6. There's other examples like that. Would be cool if we got Columbus.

Still crazy that after a 1-3 start they are in potential position to get in the tourney and with a higher seed than Dixon got in his two ACC tourney years (9, 10). We have to go back 11 plus years for a Pitt team that got higher than an 8 seed. Sheesh it’s been a long time, but excited for PITT basketball again.

Reactions: Elsalvador
Was fun actually watching the Cuse/Miami game not knowing who to root for as far as benefitting Pitt. A Cuse win because Pitt beat them. Miami won so Pitt can take care of business then. Anyway, Judah showed his immaturity as a developing PG by being selfish at the end. Pitt will experience the same next year. It’s youth. Miami can be had with a strong game.

Right now, Pitt is playing as well as anyone who may gain an 8th seed if not 7th seed, IMHO

Thursday update.

Last Bye (11 seed)
In 57 of 76 brackets

Interestingly, NW 2nd to last team in, PSU last team in. WVU 1st team out despite being 1-5 in B12.

Avoided a crushing Quad 4 loss. Another Quad 4 Saturday. A loss to FSU knocks them out of the field temporarily.

Sunday update

Unchanged as the last bye (11 seed)
In 54 of 79 brackets
But only 23 bracketologists that they track updated today and they are only in 8 of those brackets. The Q4 loss is crushing.

If we are just looking at the 23 that updated today, teams that are OUT are faring better than Pitt. Kentucky is in 19 of 23, Nevada in 14 of 23, PSU in 11 of 23. So when everyone updates, Pitt will likely be out. But win 2 this week and they're back in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT