ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING NEWS: Tony Bennett retiring

Wow. Just saw it on the ESPN crawl.

Great news. Wondering what's going on there because they had Bronco Mendenhall retire out of the blue. I think a lot of this has to new with the shift to college hoops becoming a pro sport. Between paying players and unlimited free agency, he cant coach the same way. The game has changed so he may have just said screw it.

Great news. Wondering what's going on there because they had Bronco Mendenhall retire out of the blue. I think a lot of this has to new with the shift to college hoops becoming a pro sport. Between paying players and unlimited free agency, he cant coach the same way. The game has changed so he may have just said screw it.
I think this has most likely been on his mind for a while. To just wake up and decide that he doesn't want to do this anymore would be very out of character for Tony Bennett. He brought Ron Sanchez back as Assoc HC. The timing almost assures Sanchez gets the gig.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
Steppin%27_Out_%28Tony_Bennett_album_-_cover_art%29.jpg

Well, no more 45-42 slobberknockers, I guess. Can't imagine this being good for the ACC in the long run; if it needs to improve, better coaching seems like a good way to do that.

Yeah, I think a lot of these guys built something up with a certain framework in place and then that framework sort of got pulled out from under them. So, rather than taking the hit to the ego and dealing with the necessary frustrations or adaptations, they're just walking away. Can't say I blame them, honestly. It's not exactly the same job they signed up to take. He was a system/program guy, and now the sport is an annual pickup game.

--------------------------------
I asked Tony Bennett literally last week why so many people thought he could be the next Jay Wright and suddenly retire out of nowhere.His response, verbatim: "I gotta call Jay Wright and see what he says, right? I always have said, when you're doing this, you're in this profession, whether you agree how it's going or not, you have to be true to yourself and really look at it and say, who am I? Can I operate how I want and can it be successful enough? And you get to choose if you wanna be a part of it or not. And when you feel it's time, like Jay did, like Coach K, maybe Saban, it's their choice. And you can sit here and complain and gripe. Or you have a decision to make. Either you try to do it in your way or you get to make that decision. So I think Jay Wright probably foresaw the where this is going ... It'll be better whenever there's regulations. Is that three to five years away? Who knows? But if it's not -- those are decisions that every man has to make when it's his time."

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
You better hope that scheduling consultant was worth the price the ACC paid because perceptually the conference has taken a hit with all of these coaches retiring. In other words I don’t think this is great news.

Yeah, I think a lot of these guys built something up with a certain framework in place and then that framework sort of got pulled out from under them. So, rather than taking the hit to the ego and dealing with the necessary frustrations or adaptations, they're just walking away. Can't say I blame them, honestly. It's not exactly the same job they signed up to take. He was a system/program guy, and now the sport is an annual pickup game.

--------------------------------
I asked Tony Bennett literally last week why so many people thought he could be the next Jay Wright and suddenly retire out of nowhere.His response, verbatim: "I gotta call Jay Wright and see what he says, right? I always have said, when you're doing this, you're in this profession, whether you agree how it's going or not, you have to be true to yourself and really look at it and say, who am I? Can I operate how I want and can it be successful enough? And you get to choose if you wanna be a part of it or not. And when you feel it's time, like Jay did, like Coach K, maybe Saban, it's their choice. And you can sit here and complain and gripe. Or you have a decision to make. Either you try to do it in your way or you get to make that decision. So I think Jay Wright probably foresaw the where this is going ... It'll be better whenever there's regulations. Is that three to five years away? Who knows? But if it's not -- those are decisions that every man has to make when it's his time."
Yep. And once you've been at a place for 15 years, done it all, and made a shit-ton of money, what's the big incentive to stick around?

Why? I guess they could have had SMF for free. But whatever they were doing someone needed to tell them…cause it wasn’t working.

Because the answer is so damned obvious. The one, and only, way to game the NET rating is to play better. There is no schedule that you can play that will increase your NET rating if you play poorly.

If you play worse than the NET expects you to then your NET rating will fall, and vise versa. Whether that is against a really good team or a really crappy team, makes no difference. If you play Duke and the NET thinks you "should" lose by eight and you lose by 15 your NET rating will go down. If you play Robert Morris and the NET thinks you "should" win by 25 and you win by 18 your NET rating will go down. And similarly, if you lose to Duke by one and you beat Robert Morris by 32 your rating will improve.

SMF thinks that the NET works the same way that the RPI works, where if you play a mid-major that isn't any good but has a good record it will make you look good to the rating system. The NET does not work that way. The one, and only, way to improve your NET rating is to play better than you were expected to. To win by more than you "should" have. To lose by less than you "should" have.

And this was obviously the case from the moment that they said how they were calculating the NET ratings. Any coach who didn't realize right from the beginning that if they wanted their NET rating to improve they had to win by larger margins than they were supposed to is a moron. Just like, well, you know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT