ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Brush Fan's Brush Strokes

Brian Brush Fan

Redshirt
Mar 21, 2021
1) Admittedly when we went down 68-60 with just about 3 minutes left, I never thought we could close the way that we did. Thought of Same Ol Pitt, Fire Capel, and man, I bought this season ticket to watch Dior Johnson and he ain't even playing, all danced through my brain

2). Then I thought of the Zoo, and how those kids all had better seats than me. I wanted to blame them for the impending loss; actually, I think I did blame them. And it wasn't without merit. They're choreographically inept, the cheering is subpar, they aren't all that coordinated and disappear for long stretches.

3). And our Panthers did too. From dribbling off their feet on consecutive possesoons to chucking up threes from the script logo, we made some questionable decisions and we disappeared. But our competitive spirit never wavered.

4) At no point, did I think we could slice the Miami lead into anything less than 6. That sentiment was echoed by a number of restroom visitors, as I relieved myself at the 8 minute mark But we never wavered.

5) Burton would not be deterred. And neither would Nelly, who, admittedly, I doubted his virility down the stretch. But, he hung in there. And what else can you say about Blake Hinson? He is easily the best forward that this program has seen since the mid 80s. Better than Sam Young? Fellow Lair members, if that's not true, Hinson's performances are definitely in the conversation.

6). On a day when he honored the gritty Big East Champion team of 2003, it was great to see our Panther team put their stamp on a workman like performance

7) It's a great time to be a Pitt fan. What w year. From soccer to football to volleyball to wrestling to men's hoops and everything in between...this could be a golden era of Panther athletics.

8). While athletics are surging ahead, we could use a little more support from Pitt students. The zoo needs a ton of work, but it is an improvement from the Stallings days when one fan...yes one...would chide the other team. Keep moving ahead and let's go Pitt

1) Admittedly when we went down 68-60 with just about 3 minutes left, I never thought we could close the way that we did. Thought of Same Ol Pitt, Fire Capel, and man, I bought this season ticket to watch Dior Johnson and he ain't even playing, all danced through my brain

2). Then I thought of the Zoo, and how those kids all had better seats than me. I wanted to blame them for the impending loss; actually, I think I did blame them. And it wasn't without merit. They're choreographically inept, the cheering is subpar, they aren't all that coordinated and disappear for long stretches.

3). And our Panthers did too. From dribbling off their feet on consecutive possesoons to chucking up threes from the script logo, we made some questionable decisions and we disappeared. But our competitive spirit never wavered.

4) At no point, did I think we could slice the Miami lead into anything less than 6. That sentiment was echoed by a number of restroom visitors, as I relieved myself at the 8 minute mark But we never wavered.

5) Burton would not be deterred. And neither would Nelly, who, admittedly, I doubted his virility down the stretch. But, he hung in there. And what else can you say about Blake Hinson? He is easily the best forward that this program has seen since the mid 80s. Better than Sam Young? Fellow Lair members, if that's not true, Hinson's performances are definitely in the conversation.

6). On a day when he honored the gritty Big East Champion team of 2003, it was great to see our Panther team put their stamp on a workman like performance

7) It's a great time to be a Pitt fan. What w year. From soccer to football to volleyball to wrestling to men's hoops and everything in between...this could be a golden era of Panther athletics.

8). While athletics are surging ahead, we could use a little more support from Pitt students. The zoo needs a ton of work, but it is an improvement from the Stallings days when one fan...yes one...would chide the other team. Keep moving ahead and let's go Pitt
Good stuff but c'mon man, Hinson is not even in the conversation about being better than Sam Young.

Good stuff but c'mon man, Hinson is not even in the conversation about being better than Sam Young.

I don't think he is either, because Young wasn't a great defender but he is leaps and bounds ahead of Hinson. But their numbers are eerily similar. For instance, Hinson is a junior. Here are his numbers compared to Young's junior numbers:

Young: 69.0% ones, 53.8% twos, 38.3% threes, 7.7% Offensive Rebounds, 15.2% Defensive Rebounds, 8.3 Assist Rate, 16.5 Turnover Rate, 33.3 Free Throw Rate, 110.1 Offensive Rating

Hinson: 70.2% ones, 53.4% twos, 38.3% threes, 6.6% Offensive Rebounding, 15.9% Defensive Rebounding, 8.3 Assist Rate, 14.4 Turnover Rate, 35.5 Free Throw Rate, 111.8 Offensive Rating

I think he is very much in the conversation. His ability to hit the three ball from the 4 spot is pretty much unmatched in Panther lore.
I do concur that Sam Young is probably his equal or superior, but Hinson isn't that far off. I honestly believe that and I've been watching Pitt hoops for almost 40 years. God, I am old.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Wow actually better than DT Pitt. Ps the zoo bloes get off your asses and cheer
Nah, I can't come anywhere close to DT. He's a legend. I just have a different take then most because I am neurodivergent, or so I am told. Hope to see everyone on the Field of 68 podcast here in a little bit.

I do concur that Sam Young is probably his equal or superior, but Hinson isn't that far off. I honestly believe that and I've been watching Pitt hoops for almost 40 years. God, I am old.
I would say the biggest difference between the two is Sam was a superior finisher who could play above the rim at both ends. Also, his pump fake where he seemed to leave the floor was legendary and left many defenders in the air, while he went right past them. Young was a superior athlete whose overall game was more complete. Hinson is becoming a stone cold 3 point assassin of late.

ADVERTISEMENT