ADVERTISEMENT

Brice pollack

Here's a thought: Guys like Marion are complete a-holes who I wouldn't want to spend five minutes being around. But guess what? They appeal to recruits a little more than a staff of old fat journeyman. Cignetti, Powell, and Borbely might be able to do some damage at the Early Bird Eat n' Park buffet, but they probably don't appeal a whole lot to cocky, talented high school seniors. Sure, you can go the classy young man route and build your team like Iowa. Just don't expect to see much of the end zone.

Here's another thought: The talented locals, few as they may be, aren't even considering Pitt anymore. Hmm. Wonder what stubborn jackass at the helm could have possibly alienated them this much.

You are a damn fool if you don’t think NIL $ is playing a key factor in recruiting.

And you're a damn fool if you think Schmucko Henderson's $15/month makes a difference one way or the other. It's about the high rollers. We have a few. So go tell Narduzzi to get them involved. Go kiss Tepper's/others of his ilk's golden asses. Go play the game, instead of being stubborn and reiterating how much you don't like the game. Or, you know, put on a Jamie Dixon-esque pout and bring in Justice Kithcart to run the point at an ACC program. That'll go well.

You want someone more immediate to blame, so you put it on the fans. The fans don't have anything to do with this. It's amazing we're still even around after 40 years of unfiltered coyote feces.

Here's a thought: Guys like Marion are complete a-holes who I wouldn't want to spend five minutes being around. But guess what? They appeal to recruits a little more than a staff of old fat journeyman. Cignetti, Powell, and Borbely might be able to do some damage at the Early Bird Eat n' Park buffet, but they probably don't appeal a whole lot to cocky, talented high school seniors. Sure, you can go the classy young man route and build your team like Iowa. Just don't expect to see much of the end zone.

Here's another thought: The talented locals, few as they may be, aren't even considering Pitt anymore. Hmm. Wonder what stubborn jackass at the helm could have possibly alienated them this much.
Well that's why I wanted Beatty as OC. The guy was a recruiting machine here. H2P

Yeah, this one sucks.

We'll see what happens with the portal and through the end of recruiting though. Times are definitely different.

Well that's why I wanted Beatty as OC. The guy was a recruiting machine here. H2P

I refuse to believe this is entirely NIL related. Not when I look at some of the schools ahead of us and where some of the higher-rated players are going. There is more to this than a bunch of random fans tossing a monthly donation to some Notre Dame grads.

We are sorely lacking in the recruiting department. Quite honestly, I think we need a more eclectic mix of assistant coaches.

I refuse to believe this is entirely NIL related. Not when I look at some of the schools ahead of us and where some of the higher-rated players are going. There is more to this than a bunch of random fans tossing a monthly donation to some Notre Dame grads.
I'm sure there is alot of movement going on behind the scenes. We need a lock down recruiter besides Partridge and Beatty was very valuable and is missed.

The talented locals, few as they may be, aren't even considering Pitt anymore.
Aren't there only 5 Power 5 players in this WPIAL senior class?

Payne - PSU
Gallagher - WVU
Lovelace - PITT
Mayer - WISKY
Fuse - Rutgers

Only 4 of those guys were offered by PITT. I'm not sure how long Fuse held a committable offer.

We are sorely lacking in the recruiting department. Quite honestly, I think we need a more eclectic mix of assistant coaches.
I don't know if it's entirely NIL related (probably not), but it's certainly playing a big role. We have a massive problem with NIL and that should be priority number one to fix. It's not the average joes that can fix this.

Reactions: TD_6082
Aren't there only 5 Power 5 players in this WPIAL senior class?

Payne - PSU
Gallagher - WVU
Lovelace - PITT
Mayer - WISKY
Fuse - Rutgers

Only 4 of those guys were offered by PITT. I'm not sure how long Fuse held a committable offer.

Looks like there's a good chance Fuse ends up here. I don't even consider Payne, Mayer, Lovelace, and Fuse to be in the category I was meaning, though.

I'm referring more to the upper echelon guys. Robinson, Gallagher, Martin, Speca, etc. And even going back a few years... Fearbry, McMillon, Davis, Porter Jr, Carmody, Kristofic, etc. We did get Donald, but I think that one comes with a caveat. And Hayes and Johnson were wins. But we seem to be batting at a lower percentage than ever before. Moreover, the ones who aren't coming here aren't even considering it.

I don't know if it's entirely NIL related (probably not), but it's certainly playing a big role. We have a massive problem with NIL and that should be priority number one to fix. It's not the average joes that can fix this.
I get really pissed off at these parents and guardians using their kids as pawns to cash in. Stringing a college along to decommitt right before a few weeks until signing day is pathetic. Pitt needs to fix the NIL asap as well.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Looks like there's a good chance Fuse ends up here. I don't even consider Payne, Mayer, Lovelace, and Fuse to be in the category I was meaning, though.

I'm referring more to the upper echelon guys. Robinson, Gallagher, Martin, Speca, etc. And even going back a few years... Fearbry, McMillon, Davis, Porter Jr, Carmody, Kristofic, etc. We did get Donald, but I think that one comes with a caveat. And Hayes and Johnson were wins. But we seem to be batting at a lower percentage than ever before. Moreover, the ones who aren't coming here aren't even considering it.
I'd like for us to flip Fuse

I think some of the numbers getting thrown around are completely fictitious. I've heard stories of pretty highly-rated players getting up to 100k; they're not handing blank checks to Brice freaking Pollock.

Granted, you do hear stories that, for example, everybody at Texas Tech is getting 25k (which is more than zero). I'm not saying I'm discounting it entirely. I just think it's turned into a tall tale of sorts, because both sides know it's hard to either prove or disprove.

And if it does turn out that NIL just upends the entire ecosystem, I'll just quit following. The Pirates used to be #1 in my heart, but you couldn't pay me to sit through nine innings of that crap now. It just is what it is; people can either watch a watered down product that lives behind the 8-ball or find something else to do. I could never be a Syracuse fan, and that seems to be where me might be trending. Say what you will about Narduzzi, but the recruiting from 2016-2021 was at least decent. No one will be able to sustain a winning program recruiting at this level. Only a matter of time until it catches up to us... especially once the 6th year of eligibility isn't a thing. That masks a lot right now.

How different is that from when we couldn't land -

Terrelle Pryor
Justin King
Paul Poz
Sean Lee
Anthony Morelli
Dorian Bell
Andrew Johnson
Miles Sanders
Khaleke Hudson
Darren Walls
Mike Hull
Cullen Christian

seems to me we always struggle to land the 4 star and above athletes.

Reactions: Upg bobcat
I get really pissed off at these parents and guardians using their kids as pawns to cash in. Stringing a college along to decommitt right before a few weeks until signing day is pathetic. Pitt needs to fix the NIL asap as well.
That's the game at this point-our administration needs to make NIL top priority. Get the boosters in line so we aren't getting out gunned by everyone

I think some of the numbers getting thrown around are completely fictitious. I've heard stories of pretty highly-rated players getting up to 100k; they're not handing blank checks to Brice freaking Pollock.

Granted, you do hear stories that, for example, everybody at Texas Tech is getting 25k (which is more than zero). I'm not saying I'm discounting it entirely. I just think it's turned into a tall tale of sorts, because both sides know it's hard to either prove or disprove.

And if it does turn out that NIL just upends the entire ecosystem, I'll just quit following. The Pirates used to be #1 in my heart, but you couldn't pay me to sit through nine innings of that crap now. It just is what it is; people can either watch a watered down product that lives behind the 8-ball or find something else to do. I could never be a Syracuse fan, and that seems to be where me might be trending. Say what you will about Narduzzi, but the recruiting from 2016-2021 was at least decent. No one will be able to sustain a winning program recruiting at this level. Only a matter of time until it catches up to us... especially once the 6th year of eligibility isn't a thing. That masks a lot right now.
I don't think Bryce Pollock is getting a blank check, but he might be getting $50k, $75k, or even $100k. Or, he might be getting told he'll get xxx at some point, which may never happen.

There is a lot of incentive to lie about NIL deals. The player can brag about it. A company advertising a big NIL deal makes it sound like a bigger deal. If you don't have to publicly show the contract to prove it, why not? If I offered a kid a 40K a year NIL deal that is worth 5 million if he wins the Heisman 3 times, I'm advertising that as a 5 million dollar NIL deal.

Terrelle Pryor
Justin King
Paul Poz
Sean Lee
Anthony Morelli
Dorian Bell
Andrew Johnson
Miles Sanders
Khaleke Hudson
Darren Walls
Mike Hull
Cullen Christian

Because we were getting some of them. Johnson, Bisnowaty, Bookser, Boyd, Holtz, Whitehead, Hamlin, Ford, Pugh, Lucas Nix, Dickerson, Palko, Baldwin, Shell... we're never gotten them all, but we've always gotten some of them. And we were at least in the conversation for quite a few of the ones you mentioned.

I've heard stories of pretty highly-rated players getting up to 100k; they're not handing blank checks to Brice freaking Pollock.
You'd be surprised. I'm not saying blank checks but hell I know of a PWO who because of NIL doesn't pay a dime to go to school. I know another kid who committed to a cellar dweller school because of NIL and he had better scholarship offers on the table.

So where have these kids gone to get paid ?
Getting paid isn't new, it's just not against rules anymore. I'm sure Minchey is going to get paid at ND. Wherever the other guys end up, you can assume the same. A lot of guys are getting paid. I'm sure Pitt is paying too, but likely not enough.

I don't think Bryce Pollock is getting a blank check, but he might be getting $50k, $75k, or even $100k. Or, he might be getting told he'll get xxx at some point, which may never happen.

He's not getting $100K. I mean, On3 is the only place I know of that even tries to come remotely close to quantifying any of this, and even that is probably complete BS.

https://www.on3.com/db/rankings/consensus-player/football/2023/

But the players on our dating level, if this is indeed not completely made up, aren't getting anything close to these fairytale numbers that are being tossed about.

Terrelle Pryor
Justin King
Paul Poz
Sean Lee
Anthony Morelli
Dorian Bell
Andrew Johnson
Miles Sanders
Khaleke Hudson
Darren Walls
Mike Hull
Cullen Christian

Mike Hull, Shai McKenzie, and Mike Yancich thought they were better than Pitt. Hull and Yancich were brought up in Nitter households and coached by a big10 shill.

Because we were getting some of them. Johnson, Bisnowaty, Bookser, Boyd, Holtz, Whitehead, Hamlin, Ford, Pugh, Lucas Nix, Dickerson, Palko, Baldwin, Shell... we're never gotten them all, but we've always gotten some of them. And we were at least in the conversation for quite a few of the ones you mentioned.
yeah I get it but we miss out on way more then we land. It often seems like some of those guys like Johnson, Boyd, Ford, McCoy (not local), etc come to PITT when other plans fall through.

You'd be surprised. I'm not saying blank checks but hell I know of a PWO who because of NIL doesn't pay a dime to go to school. I know another kid who committed to a cellar dweller school because of NIL and he had better scholarship offers on the table.

Yeah, there are some schools that have organized funding to cover the walk-ons' scholarships. I believe BYU is one. Now that is something I completely see as plausible. It even has a charity-esque feel to it, and it wouldn't require a ton of funding. I could easily see fans getting behind that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT