ADVERTISEMENT

Bring on the fans at Heinz Field

Their "resurgence" is nothing like what we're seeing here. Germany, France, UK, and Italy combined for like 100 deaths this weekend. USA: 950. Those countries are also getting ahead of it and re-closing things. They dont tolerate death like Americans
Again, we will see. Putting sick people into nursing homes was pretty f’n dumb. NY seems pretty immune to a second wave. Interesting Japan/ Taiwan antibody studies are being done suggesting it was VERY wide spread. Not yet peer-reviewed, however. Gazillions of college kids testing are positive without getting sick. Very good chance this ends up being a really bad ‘flu’ year and nothing more.

Clearly, you aren’t advocating any real sacrifice for your family. School, sports and vacations are AOK for you. Just don’t let fans into games or let anyone fix a toilet.

As for excess death rates, at this point, mental health/ economic issues may be very significant contributors. Being isolated isn’t healthy. This is especially true for really old people in homes.

OK, so just so we are clear here, the most accurate way to count COVID deaths is to compare total US deaths from all causes from 2019 to total US deaths from all causes in 2020? And this is more accurate than counting up death certificates which list COVID as a cause of death? The stupidity of some of you never ceases to amaze me. I mean we are talking about mental retardation level stupidity.

And I'm not living in fear either. My kids go to school 5 days a week, are playing sports, went on a COVID hotspot vacation in July, go to church, etc. We are just smart about it. I haven't eaten inside of a restaurant since March because I see that as entirely unnecessary. You can get the same food and bring it home to eat.

Are you that stupid? 200K dead. We didn't shut down. Europe did. What other evidence do you need? Where do you think people were being exposed? Answer: in public places.

And it is no surprise that you would also question if the 200K number is real.
I see our board jester is at it again.

Doubling down on stupidity is your calling card.

Well done! I expect nothing less from you.

Intelligent reply containing more tripe without ever answering the initial question. And yes, I would trust comparing 2019 to 2020 more than what was written on the death certificate. Even some of the excess mortality studies have been so poorly done that I don't believe anyone anymore. Yearly death totals are surprisingly consistent.

~240k people die every month in this country. That's over 50k per week. Nobody cares what those people are dyeing of. Dummies don't understand anything other than the 200k, 200k, 200k.... that CNN keeps brainwashing you with.

And that 200K figure is overstated because this happens in a number of cases - Someone is tested and their PCR result is positive. They recover but in a month or two die from some other cause. Your death certificate is matched to a registry of positive tests and boom, it is listed as a Covid death overstating the totals

Seems to me that we've ended up sort of on the middle road. Not as good as the countries that have been super careful, but we did flatten the curve, and prevent our hospitals from being overrun, which is certainly what would have happened had we taken a "life goes on as usual" approach.

As you have pointed out many times deaths lag infections europe's infections have went way up. Also not everyone is counting deaths the way the us has.

You are correct. However, there's about 15 states at their peak right now for new cases. So while European deaths may rise a little, they won't hold a candle to the US. We got this death thing down. As long as we can go to Home Depot and watch HS boys play football, we're ok with 750 deaths per day.

Seems to me that we've ended up sort of on the middle road. Not as good as the countries that have been super careful, but we did flatten the curve, and prevent our hospitals from being overrun, which is certainly what would have happened had we taken a "life goes on as usual" approach.

Middle of the road? Huh? We lead the world in deaths and also lead the developed world in death rate (accounting for population). To top it off, we also have one of the highest unemployment rates in the developed world. The US's response has been the worst in the developed world by far. Its not even remotely close.

200K Americans are dead and its mostly due to the US never shutting down like Europe did so yea, there's a pretty big problem with those places being open. Wolf dropped the ball there. Toys weren't needed during a pandemic
Buy them online.
And they didn't have deaths GTFO. MAYBE IF WE DIDNT STUFF THEM IN SHELTERS WITH THE EDERLY AND COUNT SO MANY

200K Americans are dead and its mostly due to the US never shutting down like Europe did so yea, there's a pretty big problem with those places being open. Wolf dropped the ball there. Toys weren't needed during a pandemic
Buy them online.
And they didn't have deaths GTFO. MAYBE IF WE DIDNT STUFF THEM IN SHELTERS WITH THE EDERLY AND COUNT SO MANY THAT WERE DEATHS CAUSED BY OTHER SHIT. GTFO

this was due the curve being flattened and a Governor who made hard but correct decisions when all of this started.

Michigan is in the top ten of states in deaths per 1 million population. Michigan is at 702 deaths per million. The 25th state on the list, in other words basically the middle in terms of rates by state, is California. They are at 386 per million. So if having almost twice as many deaths per million is your idea of success, just what in the world does failure look like?

OK, so just so we are clear here, the most accurate way to count COVID deaths is to compare total US deaths from all causes from 2019 to total US deaths from all causes in 2020? And this is more accurate than counting up death certificates which list COVID as a cause of death? The stupidity of some of you never ceases to amaze me. I mean we are talking about mental retardation level stupidity.

And I'm not living in fear either. My kids go to school 5 days a week, are playing sports, went on a COVID hotspot vacation in July, go to church, etc. We are just smart about it. I haven't eaten inside of a restaurant since March because I see that as entirely unnecessary. You can get the same food and bring it home to eat.
You are absolutely incorrect about the most accurate way to compute deaths from Covid. You will get no more accurate way to compute deaths than the way it is done currently. At the time of death a physician makes a determination of what caused each death. Is that perfect? No, but no other way is better. Taking total deaths from other years is worthless because you are adding more variables to the equation such as the total deaths during Covid is way down for other causes because travel and other activities are greatly reduced. Flu deaths are very much reduced during this time.
Calling others stupid because they believe your reasoning is off, is really being stupid.

And that 200K figure is overstated because this happens in a number of cases - Someone is tested and their PCR result is positive. They recover but in a month or two die from some other cause. Your death certificate is matched to a registry of positive tests and boom, it is listed as a Covid death overstating the totals
That is just incorrect. If you die a month or so after having Covid, you are not listed as the cause of death being Covid unless Covid is determined to be a significant reason for your death. There are so many falsehoods out there about these death rates, mostly from right wing internet sites dealing In conspiracy theories. That does not mean that there are not errors in the recording of causes of death, but there are probably many more under recordings of Covid deaths because many people have have had sudden deaths without ever being tested for Covid.
How many death certificates have you written?

You are absolutely incorrect about the most accurate way to compute deaths from Covid. You will get no more accurate way to compute deaths than the way it is done currently. At the time of death a physician makes a determination of what caused each death. Is that perfect? No, but no other way is better. Taking total deaths from other years is worthless because you are adding more variables to the equation such as the total deaths during Covid is way down for other causes because travel and other activities are greatly reduced. Flu deaths are very much reduced during this time.
Calling others stupid because they believe your reasoning is off, is really being stupid.

I was being sarcastic. Obviously the best way to accurately count COVID deaths is by what's on the death certificate. Morons out there believe there is some mass conspiracy out there to make the numbers look higher. Are there some cases where a patient has a month to live due to cancer but catches COVID, dies, and is counted (as it technically should) as a COVID death, sure but the thought that we're just counting car crash victims as COVID deaths if they had COVID at the time is insane.

A fraction
Plus it has a vaccine and therapeutic options outpatient
Perhaps. Current best estimates are a factor of about 4. However, asymptomatic case counts are tough to get. If antibody testing is short lived, IFR rates may be significant lower than currently thought. Of course, this could also mean herd immunity can’t be naturally achieved and any vaccine would require frequent dosing.

The high case estimate possibility came from a pre-printed paper whose summary I read on Twitter. Can’t find it now, but the alert came from one of the left-leaning machine learning scientist accounts I follow. When it pops up again, I will be sure to read it and if good share it in the locker room.

That is just incorrect. If you die a month or so after having Covid, you are not listed as the cause of death being Covid unless Covid is determined to be a significant reason for your death. There are so many falsehoods out there about these death rates, mostly from right wing internet sites dealing In conspiracy theories. That does not mean that there are not errors in the recording of causes of death, but there are probably many more under recordings of Covid deaths because many people have have had sudden deaths without ever being tested for Covid.
How many death certificates have you written?

Oooooo....you did facts. He hates those. You'll be called names now.

While I agree SMF is a know nothing, your argument is with me (other than him starting with the name calling) . 38k people die in car accidents each year. How much do you think that was reduced because of a few month lockdown? How many people die of flu in the summer? The numbers you are talking about aren't significant, and will likely be made up by the impact of the lockdown actually causing deaths. Unless you think hospital admissions for myocardial infarcts, strokes, and other major issues dropped during the lockdown because people stopped having them. Year over year deaths are surprisingly consistent when spread across 330 million people.

I was being sarcastic. Obviously the best way to accurately count COVID deaths is by what's on the death certificate. Morons out there believe there is some mass conspiracy out there to make the numbers look higher. Are there some cases where a patient has a month to live due to cancer but catches COVID, dies, and is counted (as it technically should) as a COVID death, sure but the thought that we're just counting car crash victims as COVID deaths if they had COVID at the time is insane.
Sorry. I reread your post after I wrote my post. I was actually agreeing with you.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
While I agree SMF is a know nothing, your argument is with me (other than him starting with the name calling) . 38k people die in car accidents each year. How much do you think that was reduced because of a few month lockdown? How many people die of flu in the summer? The numbers you are talking about aren't significant, and will likely be made up by the impact of the lockdown actually causing deaths. Unless you think hospital admissions for myocardial infarcts, strokes, and other major issues dropped during the lockdown because people stopped having them. Year over year deaths are surprisingly consistent when spread across 330 million people.
Deaths are consistent usually, but not during a pandemic. Total deaths as a way to compute deaths from Covid is just plain absurd. What is so difficult to understand? We have death certificates to actually count up the deaths from Covid. There is no more accurate method to get the actual count!
In the past causes of death for some conditions had to be estimated because there was no way to get an accurate count such as flu deaths. Using total deaths as a means to help get an estimate of deaths for that made sense, but not when there are actual causes of death that are reasonably accurate available on written documents as in death certificates. All one has to do is count them up! We do not need to get an estimate of the deaths due to Covid when we can get an actual count. Let me make it easy to understand: a good example would be crowd size at a Pitt game. We could look at the crowd and estimate the crowd size visually or we could actually count each person as they hand in there tickets. Yes there might be some fans there without tickets, but overall which way gives the better accurate count? Some of you might believe that your visualized estimate to be more accurate than actual count, but you would be incorrect.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Deaths are consistent usually, but not during a pandemic. Total deaths as a way to compute deaths from Covid is just plain absurd. What is so difficult to understand? We have death certificates to actually count up the deaths from Covid. There is no more accurate method to get the actual count!
Sorry, but both are good to consider. Death certificates are more detailed and for any given case, the best indicator. BUT, determining cause of death is tough. Determining if someone dies is easy and is therefore at least equally trustworthy, IMO.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
Middle of the road? Huh? We lead the world in deaths and also lead the developed world in death rate (accounting for population). To top it off, we also have one of the highest unemployment rates in the developed world. The US's response has been the worst in the developed world by far. Its not even remotely close.
Have u ever been to Europe? Do the people in Europe or for that matter all over the world look like Americans. Obesity and it’s concomitant health problems, high blood pressue and diabetes, are responsible for many of the corona virus deaths in The U. S. A.

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther

i can’t put into words how much I loathe the “don’t see this reported” line. Because it tries to make a “subtle point” that the person talking “knows something” that isn’t being reported. And thus it leads people to let their guard down.

So for the 26th time accross Pantherlair message boards...

This is/was/never will be people just dropping dead in the streets. What it *always* has been was low probabilty of bad outcomes that becomes a huge problem through scale and longevity.

That’s again - low probability of bad outcomes that become a huge problem with scale and time

Billions of encounters creates millions of infections. Millions of infections as the base to those % create a lot of death. And quite possibly the worst thing, is no known end point creates an enormous problem.

So %’s mean very little if you can’t control the scale.

• Haha
In the past causes of death for some conditions had to be estimated because there was no way to get an accurate count such as flu deaths. Using total deaths as a means to help get an estimate of deaths for that made sense, but not when there are actual causes of death that are reasonably accurate available on written documents as in death certificates. All one has to do is count them up! We do not need to get an estimate of the deaths due to Covid when we can get an actual count. Let me make it easy to understand: a good example would be crowd size at a Pitt game. We could look at the crowd and estimate the crowd size visually or we could actually count each person as they hand in there tickets. Yes there might be some fans there without tickets, but overall which way gives the better accurate count? Some of you might believe that your visualized estimate to be more accurate than actual count, but you would be incorrect.

You choose to believe death certificates that have been proven to be inconsistent and incorrect for years, even before Covid. There's plenty of literature and studies out there done by state and federal agencies.

I'll take everything with a grain of salt, wait, and ultimately believe math. Could be underreported, could be overreported. Time will tell.

This country has gone batshit crazy and I don't believe anyone. I can't turn any news station on because they're all political campaign propaganda stations.

The gray area though is comorbidities and/or the actual final cause of death.

So that’s why excess deaths is an important metric. That has consistently been at or above the Covid count. Therefore, any anomolies each way have nonetheless resulted in a slight undercount in aggregate. That’s what the numbers say despite any anecdotes of a person that might have been added that shouldn’t have been.

The gray area though is comorbidities and/or the actual final cause of death.

So that’s why excess deaths is an important metric. That has consistently been at or above the Covid count. Therefore, any anomolies each way have nonetheless resulted in a slight undercount in aggregate. That’s what the numbers say despite any anecdotes of a person that might have been added that shouldn’t have been.

It will take years to wrap our heads around the total affected death count. Right now, most of it is anecdotal because we're still in the trees and can't wrap our arms around the whole data set, yet. We know excess deaths are up and why, when it is documented. There is much more in the underlying data that needs to be considered, both with, and without some of the opinionated subtext because it might not be all cut and dry.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
Let me make it easy to understand: a good example would be crowd size at a Pitt game. We could look at the crowd and estimate the crowd size visually or we could actually count each person as they hand in there tickets. Yes there might be some fans there without tickets, but overall which way gives the better accurate count? Some of you might believe that your visualized estimate to be more accurate than actual count, but you would be incorrect.

You almost got there with your analogy, but not quite.

In reality it's more like what actually does happen in the real world. Pitt announces an attendance number based on how many tickets they sold, how many tickets they gave away to everyone that they give them away to, and sometimes an extra number of people added on to make the numbers look a little better. Then other people try to estimate how many people are actually there based on what they see with their own eyes. And then there is the truth, the actual number of people who entered the stadium and attended the game.

The death certificate count is the first one. Everyone knows that the counts are currently being overstated. Or, well, OK, anyone who is paying attention and has even a modicum of common sense knows that the counts are currently being overstated. The question isn't if, it's by how much. Much like Pitt game attendance. Sometimes Pitt announces a number that is pretty close to the truth. Other times they don't. None of us actually know by exactly how much, we just know it's happening.

If sometime next year it comes out that the total number of deaths this year is right in line with what would have been expected without the virus that doesn't mean that the virus didn't kill anyone, but it will tell you something about how far off the counts are. On the other hand, if at the end of the year the official count is 250,000 higher than what would have been expected (just to pick a semi-random number) and the virus estimate is 300,000 deaths then that would tell us something completely different.

Or we can all just bury our heads in the sand.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
You choose to believe death certificates that have been proven to be inconsistent and incorrect for years, even before Covid. There's plenty of literature and studies out there done by state and federal agencies.

I'll take everything with a grain of salt, wait, and ultimately believe math. Could be underreported, could be overreported. Time will tell.

This country has gone batshit crazy and I don't believe anyone. I can't turn any news station on because they're all political campaign propaganda stations.
Again you have an opinion about death certificates being inaccurate, but that is not based on facts. Death certificates do have mistakes, but they are far more accurate than any estimate. They have not been proven to be inaccurate on the large scale. These certificates are generally filled out or dictated by physicians who took care of the dying/dead patient. To the best of their expertise, that physician fills out a form using the most accurate information about the patient that is available to that physician. Who is better to make that decision? Maybe you would do a better job.

• Haha
You almost got there with your analogy, but not quite.

In reality it's more like what actually does happen in the real world. Pitt announces an attendance number based on how many tickets they sold, how many tickets they gave away to everyone that they give them away to, and sometimes an extra number of people added on to make the numbers look a little better. Then other people try to estimate how many people are actually there based on what they see with their own eyes. And then there is the truth, the actual number of people who entered the stadium and attended the game.

The death certificate count is the first one. Everyone knows that the counts are currently being overstated. Or, well, OK, anyone who is paying attention and has even a modicum of common sense knows that the counts are currently being overstated. The question isn't if, it's by how much. Much like Pitt game attendance. Sometimes Pitt announces a number that is pretty close to the truth. Other times they don't. None of us actually know by exactly how much, we just know it's happening.

If sometime next year it comes out that the total number of deaths this year is right in line with what would have been expected without the virus that doesn't mean that the virus didn't kill anyone, but it will tell you something about how far off the counts are. On the other hand, if at the end of the year the official count is 250,000 higher than what would have been expected (just to pick a semi-random number) and the virus estimate is 300,000 deaths then that would tell us something completely different.

Or we can all just bury our heads in the sand.
Again you begin with a statement that “everyone knows death certificates are overstating Covid deaths”. That statement is incorrect. Most real experts believe that the death certificates are undercounting Covid deaths. I am not talking about right wing conspiracies internet site, I am talking about real scientific/medical sites and journals. Yes there are some “doctor” that have stated the overcount, but these are outliers, not medical experts in the field of epidemiology or infectious disease.
By the way, I never mentioned the ticket sold count by Pitt. I said counting the fans as they enter the event with tickets.

• Haha
Most real experts believe that the death certificates are undercounting Covid deaths.

There is almost no way that is happening. No matter how many times CNN and MSNBC tell you so. How many stories have to be out there about deaths being attributed to Covid for people who had other conditions that were already killing them for you to get that? We are currently paying people to list the deaths as being from Covid. And most often you get what you pay for. Why would this be any different?

However, if that is what's happening then the total number of deaths for the year will clearly show that. You should be arguing that when that number gets announced we'll see how badly they are under counting the total. And yet you aren't. Hmmmm. I wonder why?

So true..
The Social Dilemma on Netflix places much of the blame for increases in global polarization and intolerance and violence on Social Media...

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
By the way, getting back the the original topic of this thread the Stillers put out a statement that said that they hope to have some number of fans in the stands for their game against the Iggles on October 11.

Again, we will see. Putting sick people into nursing homes was pretty f’n dumb. NY seems pretty immune to a second wave. Interesting Japan/ Taiwan antibody studies are being done suggesting it was VERY wide spread. Not yet peer-reviewed, however. Gazillions of college kids testing are positive without getting sick. Very good chance this ends up being a really bad ‘flu’ year and nothing more.

Clearly, you aren’t advocating any real sacrifice for your family. School, sports and vacations are AOK for you. Just don’t let fans into games or let anyone fix a toilet.

As for excess death rates, at this point, mental health/ economic issues may be very significant contributors. Being isolated isn’t healthy. This is especially true for really old people in homes.
shame we have no leadership to help the US with the Pandemic

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT