ADVERTISEMENT

Brock Purdy may need Tommy John surgery

If it’s 6 months, it’s likely not “Tommy John” since they wouldn’t be doing a full reconstruction.

So he might be lucky in that regard as he would have every chance to be back in their QB mix without missing games.

That sucks.

Well, one thing is pretty clear....the 49er's will have to bring in at least one new arm to camp because you never know how the surgery is going to go and how long the recovery might be. Send Mason Rudolph to the 49ner's. We might be able to get a loaf of sourdough bread for him.

That really changes how they'll have to approach Garoppolo's free agency.

They got helped a lot by the Jets canning LaFleur and hiring Hackett. Because Jimmy was on a fast track to New York before that.

There will be other options for him - Vegas? Atlanta? Indy? - but for a guy like him with middling talent it's not like every team is available in the first place.

They got helped a lot by the Jets canning LaFleur and hiring Hackett. Because Jimmy was on a fast track to New York before that.

There will be other options for him - Vegas? Atlanta? Indy? - but for a guy like him with middling talent it's not like every team is available in the first place.
Just not sure how they let him go to the open market, now. Can't imagine they'd tag him but with all of the talent they have, I can't imagine they'll just wander into next season with an unproven QB.

No criticism of the coaches for throwing him back out there with possibility to make that injury worse? With the game basically over at that point? Seems unconscionable.

Reactions: 303vND
No criticism of the coaches for throwing him back out there with possibility to make that injury worse? With the game basically over at that point? Seems unconscionable.
The 4th string guy had a concussion and couldn't return and Purdy could hand the ball off without issue. The criticism should be for not having 3 QB's active for the game

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
yes, hopefully this will shed light on the need for the NFL to have medical professionals and skilled trainers on the sidelines to help make these determinations and advise the coaches accordingly...maybe someday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parkview57
The 4th string guy had a concussion and couldn't return and Purdy could hand the ball off without issue. The criticism should be for not having 3 QB's active for the game
Maybe I’m wrong but don’t most NFL teams only have 2 QBs active for a game? Using Steelers as an example, wasn’t Rudolph always inactive unless Pickett or Trubisky were out for a given game.

Maybe I’m wrong but don’t most NFL teams only have 2 QBs active for a game? Using Steelers as an example, wasn’t Rudolph always inactive unless Pickett or Trubisky were out for a given game.
I looked it up...all three other teams had 3 qbs in their depth chart. Cincy brought a guy up from the practice squad just before the game...considering they were already on their 3rd and 4th options they might have even had anyone around to do so or it was Nate Peterman and they thought they would take their chances just running off tackle dives if it came to that..

Makes sense for the niners to take a flier on a guy for a year. Sign Brady and have a situation like the Broncos did with Manning/Osweiler. They pretty much have the same type of team that requires the QB to do less.

Not a big deal for the 49's since he was the 3rd string guy anyhow. IT looked bad when his arm was hit...
Was the third-string guy until he established himself as the starter. Josh Johnson wasn't going to do what Purdy did, even in a QB friendly offense. Though, the 49ers probably want to see Lance live up to the investment.

Biggest head scratcher for me was that the niners couldn’t find a better backup than Josh Johnson. I had no idea he was still playing football. And they had plenty of time to solidify their backup QB situation.

Biggest head scratcher for me was that the niners couldn’t find a better backup than Josh Johnson. I had no idea he was still playing football. And they had plenty of time to solidify their backup QB situation.
Once you get to the fourth stringer, I don't think any team's expectations can be very high. Mason Rudolph is probably a really good third stringer, maybe one of the best third stringers in the league behind Purdy. Once you get below the third string, any team is going to be in major trouble, if not in major trouble already.

Once you get to the fourth stringer, I don't think any team's expectations can be very high. Mason Rudolph is probably a really good third stringer, maybe one of the best third stringers in the league behind Purdy. Once you get below the third string, any team is going to be in major trouble, if not in major trouble already.

Yeah I suppose you are correct. But you’d think maybe they’d have traded for another QB before the deadline. What would Mason Rudolph have cost them, maybe a 4th round pick? Foolish they didn’t make some kind of an upgrade given that team was built to be successful even with an average QB.

Edit: Didn’t realize Purdy didn’t start until after the trade deadline had passed. Would Carr have been an option for them?

Maybe I’m wrong but don’t most NFL teams only have 2 QBs active for a game?
I think you are correct according to what they say about the Steelers, which I don't understand. The league should allow an extra QB on the sideline who can only play in this circumstance considering how important a qb is to the uality of play from that time on..

I think you are correct according to what they say about the Steelers, which I don't understand. The league should allow an extra QB on the sideline who can only play in this circumstance considering how important a qb is to the uality of play from that time on..
same thing can be said for a place kicker but its up to the staff to do a risk/reward analysis game to game so I'd vote no on that if my wife allowed me to vote..

This time of year? Johnson at least has experience if nothing else. Plus he's been with them before and they know him. He's never missed a year, every year he's not in the NFL he's playing the XFL or USFL or wherever he can find a job.

Steelers were always kind of blessed under Cowher and they had emergency QB's like Randle El and Hines Ward who could at least function at the position.

I think if the third guy comes in, he has to stay in until they tear him in half, or something. Maybe that's the old rule?

I think if the third guy comes in, he has to stay in until they tear him in half, or something. Maybe that's the old rule?

That was the old rule. Now your third quarterback can only play if he is on the game day roster. Almost no teams have three quarterbacks active on gamedays, unless they have a situation where a guy is hurt going into the game and they are worried that he won't be able to finish the game.

ADVERTISEMENT