ADVERTISEMENT

Bryce Golden to Pitt

That is a good start.

Indeed -- a solid start.

He brings about the same profile as a recruit as Corey Manigualt, ranking between #110-#140. Likely, he won't make a big impact as a freshman, but will grow with the program.

For this to be the kind of impact class that we need, Stallings needs to follow this up with commitments of two sure fire top 100 recruits, and 1-2 more with a profile like Golden.

Reactions: rockypanther
SI has him noted as a 4-star. Any idea what service that is citing?

Seems like a solid pickup! Let's keep them coming. I'm just excited to finally beat out Penn State for a recruit...in basketball! It's been awhile since we've done that. And NC State too boot. Our two biggest recruiting rivals the past 3-5 years.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Come on. You're way too smart of a guy to not know what you're doing...there was no need to bring up a JD recruit in Corey here. Why not celebrate some good news...at least for a few hours.

It is not what I'm doing. Dixon never crossed my mind and it says a great deal about you that you are reading it as such. I brought up Corey because I felt it was an appropriate recruiting parallel of a player who came here last year. That is all. Nothing else.

Perhaps this will make you feel better. He's come with a much better recruiting profile that Terrell Brown.

The very first thing I said is that it's a solid start. I'm glad he's here.

We need a second coming of Brandin Knight.
A Pioneer in Pitt Basketball.

That's actually more true than anything. Brandin was a top 150 (or so) recruit.

During most of his first two years, he looked like it. But starting at the end of his sophomore year he made the transformation than transformed a program.

Reactions: FieldHouse12
It is not what I'm doing. Dixon never crossed my mind and it says a great deal about you that you are reading it as such. I brought up Corey because I felt it was an appropriate recruiting parallel of a player who came here last year. That is all. Nothing else.

Perhaps this will make you feel better. He's come with a much better recruiting profile that Terrell Brown.

The very first thing I said is that it's a solid start. I'm glad he's here.

Haha - okay then. It just seems that you've also been linking Carr to Damon Wilson of late in the same regard, so I do apologize for being over-sensitive and misreading your intent.

Welcome aboard, Bryce! Let's hope for several more to come for sure.

Haha - okay then. It just seems that you've also been linking Carr to Damon Wilson of late in the same regard, so I do apologize for being over-sensitive and misreading your intent.

Welcome aboard, Bryce! Let's hope for several more to come for sure.

Welcome aboard indeed.

Let me sort of clarify my point. Golden is a solid recruit. Carr is a solid recruit. But so were Wilson and Manigault. When recruiting guys around top 75 and higher, it starts to become a bit more of a crap shoot. That's really I'm saying.

So for us to hope that we are beginning to rebuild, Stallings still has more work to do. For one, this can't end up being the top player in his class.

But this a fine start for sure.

During most of his first two years, he looked like it. But starting at the end of his sophomore year he made the transformation than transformed a program.
Knight was a lot lower than 150 or so. He played at SH Prep, and his parents were connected to SH but they did not even offer him. Knight was a lightly recruited player.

Welcome aboard indeed.

Let me sort of clarify my point. Golden is a solid recruit. Carr is a solid recruit. But so were Wilson and Manigault. When recruiting guys around top 75 and higher, it starts to become a bit more of a crap shoot. That's really I'm saying.

So for us to hope that we a beginning to rebuild, Stallings still has more work to do. For one, this can't end up being the top player in his class.

But this a fine start for sure.
Mike Young is a more accurate comparison since they had the same exact Composite Ranking.

Last edited:
Knight was a lot lower than 150 or so. He played at SH Prep, and his parents were connected to SH but they did not even offer him. Knight was a lightly recruited player.

He was 151 in Clark Francis' rankings at the time. But again, we are quibbling about numbers -- we would both agree that by no means did he come to Pitt with any kind of recruiting profile that would indicate he'd become an All-American.

This is a very good pick up. We were talking about him a few months back alongside Brazdeikis, I didn't think the chances were too high given his offer sheet.

Reactions: Pittnerski
Hey - they are being very quiet so far. Surprise, surprise. But, I consider that a win. Now, if we could only go 40-0 next season, maybe we'd never have to hear from them again.

Well if I didn't see Stallings as a mediocre to poor in-game coach I would be more excited. Stallings would be lucky to play above 0.500 in the ACC if he had UNC or Duke's roster, IMO.

In any event Golden is unlikely to contribute much until at least 2019. The desperate need is for more immediate more proven help for next season and the following one.

Last edited:
Reactions: rockypanther

Again, what I find out from 50 to 250, you don't know. You don't know if you are getting Damon Wilson or Sam Young.

Really solid pick up. Good start to 2018. It is a critical class obviously for Stallings but more importantly for Pitt as a program.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
ADVERTISEMENT