ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb Williams confirms tampering while trying to deny it

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001

He just blew up the Addison narrative by accident.

Everyone was told they had a relationship so over Spring Break or whenever, Addison decided to go out and work out with him a little and from there, he thought that'd be a guy he wants to play with and a place he wants to be at. Sounds reasonable. But nope. Williams said they started talking to him BEFORE the Cali trip and BEFORE he was in the portal. How in the world is this dude eligible? Listen, if you want to look the other way on NIL being used in recruiting, ok, whatever. But you cant look the other way on recruiting players off other teams' rosters.

Chris, PSN, whoever, I'd make this a story. It would get national headlines and makes it an issue again.

Let it go! Let it go!
We will be fine without him. I’m thinking we might have a receiver beat him in stats this year. I also think we have a better chance at the CFP. I’ll scalp him a ticket so he can watch as a fan

Reactions: Parkview57
Let it go! Let it go!
We will be fine without him. I’m thinking we might have a receiver beat him in stats this year. I also think we have a better chance at the CFP. I’ll scalp him a ticket so he can watch as a fan
If you let it go you continue to allow it to happen and you don’t help enforce rules that the NCAA won’t enforce against the perpetrators.. How else will the ncaa show they care about rules when North southwest state university get hammered by the NCAA instead of USC.

Reactions: Dan1911

Everyone was told they had a relationship so over Spring Break or whenever, Addison decided to go out and work out with him a little and from there, he thought that'd be a guy he wants to play with and a place he wants to be at. Sounds reasonable. But nope. Williams said they started talking to him BEFORE the Cali trip and BEFORE he was in the portal. How in the world is this dude eligible? Listen, if you want to look the other way on NIL being used in recruiting, ok, whatever. But you cant look the other way on recruiting players off other teams' rosters.

Chris, PSN, whoever, I'd make this a story. It would get national headlines and makes it an issue again.
Everyone knows they tampered. If the NCAA wanted to do something about it they already would have.

Yeah, well NIL is definitely supposed to NOT be "pay for play", but these payments and how they are being handled are definitively "PAY FOR PLAY" so......

This is just something they sprung out there to pay the players without having to pay all the other college athletes, that they gave really no guidance and as they like to say, guardrails" as far as rules are concerned.

It may evolve with some rules, however it may not.

True, but then get rid of the rules then. If you have rules, you must enforce them. He should be ineligible

If you make him ineligible, it could just result in madness where a bunch of guy enter the portal each offseason as a formality, for the sole purpose of fielding NIL offers. Slippery slope, I guess. And that might be coming soon anyway.

Williams said they started talking to him BEFORE the Cali trip and BEFORE he was in the portal. How in the world is this dude eligible?

Because it is not, and never has been, against NCAA rules for players from one school talking to players from another school.

Good god, imagine if the NCAA tried to police a rule that said that a player from school A was not allowed to talk to a player from school B.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
its time for PITT to offer NIL deals to recruits and if they transfer without release then they have to pay back

I don’t think anything Williams said would constitute tampering in any meaningful sense of the word.

I don’t think anything Williams said would constitute tampering in any meaningful sense of the word.
He indicated there was contact before he entered the portal.

The question that was asked was about NIL so it caught Williams off guard so his defense was that Addison was that they started recruiting him (didnt use the word recruit) during and after his Cali vacation, weeks before he entered the portal. Of course, he doesnt say that the OC had a sit-down visit with him but its pretty clear there was contact before he was in the portal

Because it is not, and never has been, against NCAA rules for players from one school talking to players from another school.

Good god, imagine if the NCAA tried to police a rule that said that a player from school A was not allowed to talk to a player from school B.
I know. But his comments indicated there was contact beyond players

If you make him ineligible, it could just result in madness where a bunch of guy enter the portal each offseason as a formality, for the sole purpose of fielding NIL offers. Slippery slope, I guess. And that might be coming soon anyway.
Its going to be that way anyway. You'd have to be pretty stupid to NOT enter the portal, even if its just to get a better deal from your own team. Everyone is a 1 year free agent so you are leaving money on the table if you dont field offers every year.

Can’t be. Farrell reported that it was all legit.

I think there is a lot to the Addison story that will never see print. I really think he was on his way out long before the season was over but that's just based on some unconfirmed stories I've heard. It really doesn't matter. You really don't want a guy in the locker room that doesn't want to be there because he will just make trouble. That's the end of the story.

He's an AB type Diva that we wouldn't even be talking about if it wasn't for Pickett and he knows it. He was QB shopping when he left.

There is ample evidence that USC talked to Addison before he entered the transfer Portal. No question about it.
then let's have it...USC is not a "who". It cannot talk. Who from USC with an official postion spoke to him? You have the evidence.

What rule ?
There is no rule about players talking to other players
Jordan transfered within the rules
Move on
Let’s focus on the kids with pitt jerseys this season
I know there isn't a rule that players can't talk to other players. There probably isn't even a rule that prevent players from recruiting or paying people from other teams to transfer. But that's not what Caleb Williams said. The timeline he laid out indicates there was contact between USC (not players) before he was in the portal.

Face it, if Bama had their best player shanghaied by a fellow blue blood or, (horrors) a lesser program, with the exact same circumstances of the contact, and Saban raised a public stank about tampering, there’d be an intense and immediate investigation and the transfer would be suspended and ultimately reversed. Instead it’s Pitt and Narduzzi as the victims and thus, gleefully condoned. It’s Life as usual as a ditch digger program…

What rule ?
There is no rule about players talking to other players
Jordan transfered within the rules
Move on
Let’s focus on the kids with pitt jerseys this season
uh, why do we need to "focus" on anything? Will a bunch of knuckleheads yapping on about Addison cause the Pitt Panther football team to perform at a lower level such that we need to cease? This is a digital opinion forum. Plenty of room.

Face it, if Bama had their best player shanghaied by a fellow blue blood or, (horrors) a lesser program, with the exact same circumstances of the contact, and Saban raised a public stank about tampering, there’d be an intense and immediate investigation and the transfer would be suspended and ultimately reversed. Instead it’s Pitt and Narduzzi as the victims and thus, gleefully condoned. It’s Life as usual as a ditch digger program…
The NCAA is toothless for the next few years until college football collapses into a new entity or legislators step in and throw them a life preserver. There wouldn't be an "intense" anything under any circumstance.

uh, why do we need to "focus" on anything? Will a bunch of knuckleheads yapping on about Addison cause the Pitt Panther football team to perform at a lower level such that we need to cease? This is a digital opinion forum. Plenty of room.
Nor will you obsessing over usc
But since it’s a pitt forum -
Pitt is the topic

You mean say if Joe Burrow leaves Ohio State for LSU?!?
Or Caleb Williams leaves Oklahoma for usc?

Didn't Saban just accuse one of the coaches in his league of buying all of their recruits they got in their number one rated recruiting class last spring? And rather than an investigation of that school, didn't most people make fun of Saban?

The NCAA is toothless for the next few years until college football collapses into a new entity or legislators step in and throw them a life preserver. There wouldn't be an "intense" anything under any circumstance.
If Pitt somehow mustered some mass sum to buy away Alabama’s starting QB and there was clear tampering involved to do it (as there was with the Addison case) and if Saban called a presser to wail and rant about it, I am confident things would go much differently. But, this is a bunch of crazy “If’s” that would never happen so we’ll never know.

Didn't Saban just accuse one of the coaches in his league of buying all of their recruits they got in their number one rated recruiting class last spring? And rather than an investigation of that school, didn't most people make fun of Saban?
Nope
The straw man was built .
No evidence can destroy it

ADVERTISEMENT