ADVERTISEMENT

Cam commits to UNC

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
He is going to appeal to be able to play next season. This is going to be very interesting. I would expect that this be the test case for the ACC and whatever is decided, the ACC will probably institute a specific policy on grad transferring within the league. Personally, I don't think grad transfers should be able to be immediately eligible to play in the same league.

I like the grad transfer eligible next year rule, really promotes and gives an advantage to the scholar athlete, something that should be rewarded. but yeah, same league, meh, not a huge fan of that. ESPECIALLY when it works against you. I think if a duke/unc player wanted to transfer to pitt, I'd have a different opinion.

Reactions: Crimmins27
He is going to appeal to be able to play next season. This is going to be very interesting. I would expect that this be the test case for the ACC and whatever is decided, the ACC will probably institute a specific policy on grad transferring within the league. Personally, I don't think grad transfers should be able to be immediately eligible to play in the same league.

He'll be playing there next season, I feel very confident of that.

He called Pitts bluff, but ultimately I expect him to play.

is the rule of not being eligible to play the next year if you transfer inter conference, is that regulated by conference rules or an NCAA rule..

Also, could the family just pay and he'd play as a "walk on". Would that resolve the scholarship issue?

ACC is not gonna stop him. Has been intraconference grad transfers who did not sit out already.

Pitt has every right to block him via the NCAA granting the ability to do so. However, I am not so sure it is likely to hold up on a graduated player. Expect his full release before all is said and done.

Reactions: whirlybird optio
is the rule of not being eligible to play the next year if you transfer inter conference, is that regulated by conference rules or an NCAA rule..
The rule states via the ACC that grad transfers can go anywhere without sitting out if the school has a not offered grad program. The NCAA rule states that grad transfers can go anywhere without sitting out if the school has a not offered grad program. The NCAA rule also states that individual universities may impose blocks to universities as it wisges regarding the transfer.

Thus, Pitt is right in having the ability to do so. However, the ACC and NCAA both allow the transfer. It is unlikely Pitt fights it to the end.

The ACC is gonna side with Pitt over UNC when hell freezes over. He'll be playing next year.

Oh no now there's a chance that PITT might lose the game against UNC???
That's it! That's the straw that breaks the Camels back?
So now we might lose to a team with a HC named Roy? Roy Rogers, Roy the Clown, Big Roy uuuups, this is unacceptable.
There goes the season if we lose that game!

Last edited:
The rule states via the ACC that grad transfers can go anywhere without sitting out if the school has a not offered grad program. The NCAA rule states that grad transfers can go anywhere without sitting out if the school has a not offered grad program. The NCAA rule also states that individual universities may impose blocks to universities as it wisges regarding the transfer.

Thus, Pitt is right in having the ability to do so. However, the ACC and NCAA both allow the transfer. It is unlikely Pitt fights it to the end.
ok, so the grad program loophole is really only stipulation. school can block other schools of their choosing. got it.. thank you.

The ACC is gonna side with Pitt over UNC when hell freezes over. He'll be playing next year.
im fine with that but that's the rule / precedent going forward I'd hope. no more "blocking" grad transfers to schools in the ACC. that's all I ask. you do it for him, then get rid of the ability to block any schools for grad transfers..

that's a BS rule anyways. so it's allowed but not to a few select schools? Get out of here with that garbage..

What the hell. The kid graduated. No need to be petty and stop him from playing out the string at the school of his choosing. UNC whoops Pitt's a$$ with or without Cam.

Reactions: Ski11585
Think about what Stallings did to Jeter a few years ago at Vandy. He is a vengeful bastard. If it is up to him, we stick it to Cam. If it is up to the University, it is just easier to let him go so out name does not get dragged in the mud any more.

He will challenge rule...get to play and put 50 on us when we play em...trust me.

Look for less red shirts because of this - why be a farm team for someone else

I said this before but totally agree with you.

You would be nuts unless you are a blue blood program to red shirt kids. And the kids that blue blood programs get typically don't need redshirts.

There is absolutely no benefit to doing it unless the player is truly injured. If you develop them into a star or even a good player, they will just leave as a grad transfer anyway.

Reactions: ameoba defense
The thing that sucks the most in this situation is that Pitt put the time and effort to make Cam a fringe NBA prospect (without getting his best years) and he couldn't respect their only wish to avoid the ACC. I'm not really adamant one way or the other about blocking him but there are plenty of other great opportunities in other big time conferences.

Reactions: pantherx
Sitting out there may not be the worst thing for him. Sometimes these things work out for the better.

If the player is a graduate transfer they should be allowed to do whatever they want. They should be rewarded for actually fulfilling the academic portion of their scholarship. Sucks that it's going to be in the same conference we play in but we're going to look pretty petty blocking him

Agree. If Pitt administration and Pitt fans don't like it, get thicker skin and deal with it. He graduated from Pitt and he has no further obligation to Pitt. The rule should be made to do whatever is in the best interests of the student/athlete, not the schools or fans.

I wish Cam the best and hope this decision works out really well for him.

He'll be playing there next season, I feel very confident of that.

He called Pitts bluff, but ultimately I expect him to play.

I agree. I expect the ACC to come out with a specific rule allowing it.

I agree. I expect the ACC to come out with a specific rule allowing it.
I think the individual conferences already have their specific rule(s). Just going by a newspaper article I read (which doesn't make it 100% certain correct), the way I generally understand it is that the NCAA in general exempts graduate transfers from their normal 1-year sit placed on undergraduate transfers. Some conference then similarly also exempt grad transfers from the 1-year sit whereas others don't. If I remember correctly, the ACC and 2 of the other P5 conferences exempt grad transfers while the 2 other P5 conferences still place the restriction on grad transfers. In all cases, the individual school can still place the restriction, as in this current Pitt-Johnson face-off. Regarding non-P5 conferences, one in particular I remember in the article was the Big East which strictly prohibits transfers to any other in-conference school whether undergraduate or graduate or whether or not the individual school cares to enforce the restriction.

Regardless of the above, given the exponential increase in grad transfers over the last few years, this is going to have to be addressed and resolved in much clearer terms, whether by the NCAA, individual conferences or public court.

Reactions: Jpripper88
The block is all about precedence-setting and not about current competitiveness.

Even in a bizzaro world where UNC could give Cam back to Pitt the 1-2 times per year UNC will play Pitt, with Cam sharing full knowledge of UNC game plans and playbook, and playing at his 100% effort for Pitt... Pitt would likely still lose those games over the next 2 years. Just like we would have been expected to lose them with him remaining a full time member of Pitt's team.

Due to this reality of Pitt's current program, I hold no ill-will against Cam for making a move for what he deems is in his best career interest and wish him success.

Reactions: Crimmins27
This is pathetic on Cams part. We have him a free education. 25k a year at that. He's already 100k in the positive compared to all of his peers. We didn't offer him a spot, he would've been nobody. This crap about paying players is absurd. We owe him nothing now.

Literally his next best offer to Pitt was Saint Francis of PA.

Pitt should stick it to him now.

He could have went to any other Power Conference League & played immediately!

But no....make the school that gave u a big time chance look bad!

Some big BS...

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
I don't see any downside of Pitt fighting this all of the way. Even if they lose, the grad transfer rule is updated and revised so everyone is on the same page. Any potential negative PR has happened already, and Pitt has almost no risk in this disputes.

This is pathetic on Cams part. We have him a free education. 25k a year at that. He's already 100k in the positive compared to all of his peers. We didn't offer him a spot, he would've been nobody. This crap about paying players is absurd. We owe him nothing now.

And he doesn't owe Pitt shit. He graduated. Good for him for fighting this.

Several things jump out at me
1.) with so many choices why would you cause yourself all the headaches that this is going to create
2.) choosing a school that recruits elite athletes it will be very interesting to see how he stacks up .
My guess is that he's not as good as he thinks he is .
3.) I wonder what grad program he's going to enroll in that Pitt doesn't offer .
4.) was TCU ever under consideration and why didn't he go where his old coach was ?
5.) if he ends up playing at UNC when they play at Pitt will there ever a more poorly received opposing
player ? The Zoo should and will be brutal .

ADVERTISEMENT