ADVERTISEMENT

Training camp report Camp report 8/14/24

JimHammett

All P I T T !
Staff
Dec 4, 2012
Pitt was back out on the practice field today in the Southside. The team was not in full pads today, as we have hit the dog days of camp. Pitt is in between its two scrimmages for training camp, and the first game of the season, while quickly approaching, is still 17 days away at this point.

Despite that, there appears to be some moving and shaking happening with the depth chart, and there were some notable observations during today’s practice viewing window.

• As I stated above, today was not a full pads day. The guys were in shells (helmets/shoulder pads/shorts) as we have hit sort of the middle of training camp. Pitt has practices tomorrow, Friday, and the second scrimmage on Sunday. The following week goes for about three days, then next Friday is the kickoff luncheon. So we are starting to inch closer to real football...

• Because we are in this stage of camp, there are position battles up and down the roster. Not a ton, but enough notable ones to keep us interested. I think obviously quarterback is the main one we’re watching. It’s close, but if Pitt played a game tomorrow, I’d lean towards Yarnell being the starter still. But that’s just my read and gut feeling on the situation. We know Holstein is pushing, however.

• Narduzzi was asked about the running backs today, and inferred about the two main contenders: Rodney Hammond and Desmond Reid. He also gave praise to Derrick Davis first among the other backs.

• Last week I asked Narduzzi who the main wide receivers that were sticking out to him. He only said Mumpfield and Poppi Williams, then sort of blanked on other names. I revisited that today, and he was quick to point out Reynolds and then Kenny Johnson. He said there are five wide receivers he feels comfortable with, and he didn’t name him by name, I’m guessing that fifth one is CJ Lee.

• The other main topic in the press briefing was about which true freshman are standing out, and he went with the expected names when talking about the defensive line: Sincere Edwards, Francis Brewu, and Jahsear Whittington. I’d expect all three of the incoming four star guys to play based off what he said, what we’re hearing and seeing as well.

• He also said Cameron Lindsey is performing well, as is Davin Brewton. Suggested both will see time this year.

• He talked offensive guys and he only named one, which was tight end Malachi Thomas. I thought that was a surprise pick, but also one that makes sense. Pitt only has four scholarship tight ends, and we all saw the team go out to dinner this week in position groups. All the coaches posted pictures of said dinners, and you may have noticed in Jacob Bronowski’s picture that Jake Renda was clearly injured front and center.

(I’m not allowed to report injuries, but when Pitt does it themselves, I believe that’s free game) But Thomas is an intriguing player. He was a late add to the 2024 class by the staff, but was also his team’s leading receiver for a state championship team in Georgia. Thomas is a big athlete, and could be a nice piece in the offense in the future (or this year).

• Of course, today was Pitt’s turn for ACC Road Trip, with the TV cameras out in full force, and the talking heads set up in the corner with a stage. (I tried to walk in front of the cameras, so maybe I’ll be on TV tonight)

• The other special guest at practice today was Joan Gabel, Pitt’s newest chancellor. Narduzzi said in his season-opening press conference that she likes to win. So it’s a good sign to have the chancellor interested in what is happening in the Southside.

• I spotted scouts from the Denver Broncos and New England Patriots at practice today. It’s a common occurrence, but I did take note they were watching the offensive line. Pitt has had a tackle drafted in consecutive drafts and it wouldn’t shock me if Branson Taylor makes it a third with a strong senior year.

• Speaking of the NFL, the Steelers last day in Latrobe was today, I believe. So the neighbors will be back around from this point forward.

• I have to say I watched the punting/special teams segment and Caleb Junko was very much on point today. I know nobody will believe this, but his kicks were booming, and hugging the sidelines inside the 10. So yea, that would be a welcomed addition to this team I would say.

• Narduzzi always kind of says he doesn’t like to meddle with the offense too much, but I do think it’s funny when he grabs one of the pads from the GAs and starts trying to jar the ball loose from the pass catchers. He did that for a while when the QBs and RBs were working on some routes.

• We usually get to talk to the ACC Network guys, but I’m not sure if that’s happening or not. Either way, we should have 3-4 players in a little bit, so stay tuned for videos and articles off of those.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.