ADVERTISEMENT

Can Pitt baseball host a regional?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Does it have to be one of the Top 16? Or can it be a 2 seed and host? I remember they were letting Northern 2 seeds host awhile back. Not sure if that rule is still in place.

With Pitt men's soccer slated to host up to 3 NCAAT games, it could be a super exciting post-season on the hill if they wouldn't be so afraid to let fans in.

Does it have to be one of the Top 16? Or can it be a 2 seed and host? I remember they were letting Northern 2 seeds host awhile back. Not sure if that rule is still in place.

With Pitt men's soccer slated to host up to 3 NCAAT games, it could be a super exciting post-season on the hill if they wouldn't be so afraid to let fans in.
Men’s soccer will not be hosting any games. The entire men’s and women’s tourneys are taking place in North Carolina.

A more fundamental question is whether the NCAA would allow Pitt to host a regional. I don’t believe the facility has a large enough capacity (~3,000) but given that we might not have spectators this year either way, they might be able to get an exception.

It’s something to look into down the road, though, from an AD perspective, as losing out on a regional due to facility issues would be a big missed opportunity. Maybe @bwh05 knows more about that.

A more fundamental question is whether the NCAA would allow Pitt to host a regional. I don’t believe the facility has a large enough capacity (~3,000) but given that we might not have spectators this year either way, they might be able to get an exception.

It’s something to look into down the road, though, from an AD perspective, as losing out on a regional due to facility issues would be a big missed opportunity. Maybe @bwh05 knows more about that.

If you’re asking about baseball we would have to add temporary extra seating to meet minimum NCAA guidelines if we were to host.

If you’re asking about baseball we would have to add temporary extra seating to meet minimum NCAA guidelines if we were to host.

I wonder if they got a top 16 seed and the games were during a week that the Pirates were not at home if they would try to play at PNC.

I was told by one the Assoc. AD's a few years ago, that to host the ACC Conf. tournament; the host school has to be able to provide 3 ballparks, of 10k + capacity. An impossibility for us.

The seating requirement thing would surely be waived this year. More importantly, I was wondering if you absolutely had to be a top 16 seed because I remember UConn hosting as a 2 seed with FSU the 1 about 10 years ago. There was some rule in place which allowed Northern teams to do this, not sure if that's still in place

Half of our seniors are now vaccinated. Our hospitals aren’t going to be overburdened any more. Why are the goalposts being moved?

Half of our seniors are now vaccinated. Our hospitals aren’t going to be overburdened any more. Why are the goalposts being moved?

As of March 24, 70% of those 65 and older have had at least 1 shot. If you haven't been vaccinated by now and you're in that range, you really dont care much about getting it.

Everything should be open but almost everything should require proof of vaccine. Haven't been vaccinated? Stay home because they are available and plentiful. Otherwise, we're going to have Covid here forever

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT