ADVERTISEMENT

Can we expect any signing day part 2 surprises?

So we're finishing with a composite ranking of 49 as of now, and that may drop into the 50's if some other teams below us sign a few guys today. Not good enough. Time to bring some new blood in the assistant coaching room.

Are we still banging on Salem or is Manalac the new whipping boy for our recruiting ranking?

It's a cumulative effort, but are Powell and Borbely pulling their weight? I don't know. Never hurts to upgrade. Collins is solid and seems to be mentioned a lot by recruits. Tough to say it would be a bad thing if we went out and got another guy like him.

It's a cumulative effort, but are Powell and Borbely pulling their weight? I don't know. Never hurts to upgrade. Collins is solid and seems to be mentioned a lot by recruits. Tough to say it would be a bad thing if we went out and got another guy like him.
Can't speak for Powell but Borb's was brought in to fix the mess Pederson made. I don't think he's done much recruiting and I doubt he'll be around much longer. Just getting up there.

Looking at the rankings, Pitt would be higher if they had more kids in the class around the class average. It's a relatively small class compared to some of the schools in the mid-30's with a similar class average. The number of 6th year guys that are choosing to stay and play eats up scholarships. That isn't an excuse, just math and even that kind of finish wouldn't represent some kind of recruiting breakout.

Duzz needs some better playmakers to come in as freshmen. It's okay to be good at developing talent and outperforming your rankings but it's a lot easier when that talent is athletic and closer to the field when they get to campus. We know for certain that there just aren't enough dynamic recruiters and Pitt definitely doesn't have a rich enough purse of NIL funds. Not sure a fix is simple but it could go badly very quickly if something doesn't change.

Looking at the rankings, Pitt would be higher if they had more kids in the class around the class average. It's a relatively small class compared to some of the schools in the mid-30's with a similar class average.

The problem is, the more recruits you take, the more difficult it would be to maintain the same average recruit ranking.

That’s why small classes tend to have higher average recruit rankings. You’re only taking the best ranked recruits that you could have landed, and so the average isn’t being brought down by the back end.

I think Collins,sanders Partridge,and coach wood are ok but the rest in my opinion aren't so good

Weird. Considering all these stiffs have won more games the last 2 years than all but 5 programs while winning a P5 championships. Definitely stiffs.
We shall see, but the number of 5th/6th year covid kids and a first round qb(also an extra year) may have had an impact on the results the last two seasons.

Regardless, you need talent to sustain a high level program. Relying on reaches, or "diamonds in the rough", is a risky move. We could quickly fall back into our 6-6/7-5 program in a blink of an eye.

Weird. Considering all these stiffs have won more games the last 2 years than all but 5 programs while winning a P5 championships. Definitely stiffs.
Pitt wins with a true team effort because they lack blue chip talent. Bringing in some truly athletic skill position players would help elevate Pitt to the next tier up. I want to see Pitt continue to get better and at some point better athletes will be necessary to achieve that goal.

Pitt wins with a true team effort because they lack blue chip talent. Bringing in some truly athletic skill position players would help elevate Pitt to the next tier up. I want to see Pitt continue to get better and at some point better athletes will be necessary to achieve that goal.
Agree. Coming off the best two year span in 30 years, you would think we would be recruiting considerably better than Wake or Louisville. The recruiting lately hasn't produced any excitement.

Wouldn’t that be true of a bunch of teams in front though?
In theory yes, but my point is we didn't take a bunch of high school kids and our best recruits were transfers this year which isn't exactly everyone else's truth. We had 4 4 some fringe 5 star recruits come in via the portal. Ultimately your point is valid, but not an exact and direct correlation to Pitt's situation.

In theory yes, but my point is we didn't take a bunch of high school kids and our best recruits were transfers this year which isn't exactly everyone else's truth. We had 4 4 some fringe 5 star recruits come in via the portal. Ultimately your point is valid, but not an exact and direct correlation to Pitt's situation.

But those guys weren’t ranked as 4* transfers. They have been merely solid.

I’m sure some of the teams in front int he recruiting rankings are probably the teams that landed the transfers that have actually been 4* college players.

So in theory the gap could be even greater.

We are currently tied at 44th place in average star ranking at 3.0

Our ranking is pretty much were we
2017 3.04
2018 3.05
2019 2.89
2020 3.06
2021 3.09
2022 3.08
2023 3.00

Really, we are right were we are normally. and we won 20 games the past 2 years.

You can either say our coaching staff is exceptional (compared to other coaches), in averaging classes ranked 44th, yet, putting teams into the top 20, or they are better at finding undervalued recruits. Either way, it is a positive for the staff given the success on the field.

It would have been nice to have a late Greg Cross-type late addition like we had in 2008, but I'm overall pleased with this class.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
We are currently tied at 44th place in average star ranking at 3.0

Our ranking is pretty much were we
2017 3.04
2018 3.05
2019 2.89
2020 3.06
2021 3.09
2022 3.08
2023 3.00

Really, we are right were we are normally. and we won 20 games the past 2 years.

You can either say our coaching staff is exceptional (compared to other coaches), in averaging classes ranked 44th, yet, putting teams into the top 20, or they are better at finding undervalued recruits. Either way, it is a positive for the staff given the success on the field.

Yea good post, I agree the rankings for these years are all over the place but the recruits are pretty much the same year after year

Reactions: President Stache
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT