ADVERTISEMENT

Canada: Yeah to NHL, Nay to MLB

NCanton Panther

All American
Sep 22, 2001
NHL playing all of their playoff games at 2 sites in Canada. On the flip side, MLB’s Toronto Blue Jays denied permission to play in Canada by the Canadian federal government.

Logical reason, hockey playing all their games in a contained bubble area whereas MLB will be having players travel in and out regularly. Still, seems like a contradiction.

NHL playing all of their playoff games at 2 sites in Canada. On the flip side, MLB’s Toronto Blue Jays denied permission to play in Canada by the Canadian federal government.

Logical reason, hockey playing all their games in a contained bubble area whereas MLB will be having players travel in and out regularly. Still, seems like a contradiction.
I think the issue for MLB is that players will be traveling into and out of the USA, and according to the rules in place currently, they would have to self-isolate for 14 days after doing so.

The NHL players are staying there. Baseball players will be traveling all over the place. They don’t want people coming in and out of their country on a regular basis.

With no home fans anyway, playing home games across the border at their AAA stadium in Buffalo instead of their Spring Training facilities in Florida would probably be the better logistical option and gets them out of the Florida hotbed (both in terms of temperature and COVID)

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Now now. Baseball players will only be traveling in from New York, Boston, Tampa, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Washington and Miami. What could go wrong?

The NHL players are staying there. Baseball players will be traveling all over the place. They don’t want people coming in and out of their country on a regular basis.
Yeah, I know. I said that as the logical reason in my OP. I did add that on the surface, it still seems like a contradiction to some extent. If MLB tests the players on a frequent basis, that takes care of some of the concern on the travel in and out, even if testing isn’t foolproof.

Still, seems like a contradiction.

How is it a contradiction? Everyone going into the country is required to self-isolate for 14 days. With the NHL that's easy, because everything is self-contained and once everyone gets there they are staying there. With MLB that's impossible, because teams will be flying in and out every few days. It's a completely different situation.

Reactions: PantherBeliever
This is what happens when you have the biggest Covid mess in the world.

We are the world's laughing stock. What a disaster. Italy, which had a direct Wuhan connection in its Lombardy region and was absolutely crushed initially had 11 deaths yesterday. The US? 946. Words cannot describe how bad we have handled this. Its to the point where I wonder if some of our "leaders" can be prosecuted for their ineptitude. I mean I know they cant but the total disregard of human life is appalling.

ADVERTISEMENT