ADVERTISEMENT

Candidates for Big Ten Expansion

Contrary to what I (jokingly) said on Friday, I don’t see us getting a Big Ten invite. From their point of view, they’re trying to make moves that can close the gap between them and the SEC. To the average viewer, we wouldn’t do that.

SEC is adding Texas and Oklahoma. The only team that could match that on the list is Notre Dame. I just don't see the Big 10 countering that move with teams like Syracuse and Pitt.

Yeah I don't see it either. But I could dream of scenario where we are in the same conference with both PSU and WVU someday. Not saying B10 would invite WVU (or us for that matter).

Reactions: PharMorNightStocker
You never know what will happen in expansion. My point is that Pitt fans have a negative view of their own team. Outsiders see Pitt much differently. Go on twitter and enter "Pitt" "Big Ten" and people would be surprised...
What’s sad is that we should absolutely be in discussions for a Big Ten invite and a spot in whatever “super league” is formed.

Go look at the AP’s all-time top 100 football rankings. We’re likely the only team in the Top 25 that wouldn’t be ensured a spot. We have one of the most storied programs in college football… it’s a shame what’s become of it the past 40 years.

Question. Just because the SEC expanded, why do the other conferences have to expand?? I mean, the SEC took two of the biggest fish out there. There aren't many of those programs. Just like these Conference TV Networks were going to be licenses to print money.......they ended up not being that, why not wait a bit to see what happens?

Yeah I don't see it either. But I could dream of scenario where we are in the same conference with both PSU and WVU someday. Not saying B10 would invite WVU (or us for that matter).
That would be fantastic. Even better if Notre Dame snuck in there as well.

Another point to consider is that Pitt will be fine no matter what happens. Your school is well thought of. Heather is also very well liked in the ACC and the Big Ten from her time at Ohio State.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Question. Just because the SEC expanded, why do the other conferences have to expand?? I mean, the SEC took two of the biggest fish out there. There aren't many of those programs. Just like these Conference TV Networks were going to be licenses to print money.......they ended up not being that, why not wait a bit to see what happens?
The primary reason for expansion seems to be different this time around.

IMO, it’s not about money (although that certainly plays a factor), it’s about survival. We need to be thinking 2-3 steps ahead. The SEC appears to be attempting to create a “super league” that could very well split off from the rest of the pack. My reasoning behind expanding, if done right, would be our conference becomes too valuable (in terms of brands) to be left behind.

That’s why I think the ACC should absolutely go after the Pac 12 before the SEC or Big Ten does. You limit the SEC’s ability to create a truly nationwide super league while making the ACC strong enough that it decreases the possibility of a significant brand leaving for the other two, which could help secure our future in whatever happens next.

Reactions: FallingRun84
The reason for the Big Ten taking Pitt.or other ACC schools wouldn't be to add great team. The reason would be to weaken the ACC and solidify nthe Big Ten's place around the power conferences.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
The primary reason for expansion seems to be different this time around.

IMO, it’s not about money (although that certainly plays a factor), it’s about survival. We need to be thinking 2-3 steps ahead. The SEC appears to be attempting to create a “super league” that could very well split off from the rest of the pack. My reasoning behind expanding, if done right, would be our conference becomes too valuable (in terms of brands) to be left behind.

That’s why I think the ACC should absolutely go after the Pac 12 before the SEC or Big Ten does. You limit the SEC’s ability to create a truly nationwide super league while making the ACC strong enough that it decreases the possibility of a significant brand leaving for the other two, which could help secure our future in whatever happens next.

Exactly.

You have to try to match the SEC’s move. And that’s if the SEC doesn’t do anything else.

There’s the potential right now for a lot of teams to be cast away to the island of misfit teams.

Every fanbase better hope their conference is being aggressive and reactionary. And if it isn’t, or still can’t do anything even if it is, you better hope you’re on the guest list for one of the other conferences.

Adding Pitt, or Syracuse, or WVU, or any run of the mill P5 school, doesn't do anything for the Big 10. They need to add USC and Notre Dame, or Clemson and FSU. They will be fine as a conference as long as Ohio State doesn't bolt(they won't, unless they can stay in the academic alliance), but if they want to get more powerful and rich, adding some average programs isn't going to accomplish that. Outside of Clemson, FSU, Notre Dame, USC and Oregon, I dont see why the Big Ten needs to add right now. They have a lucrative academic setup. They are swimming in research money. Those schools make so much by being in the Big Ten. They make more from the Big Ten Academic Alliance than the SEC makes in football. No one is leaving that set up.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
Pitt administration is Pitts own worst enemy, they still fail to understand the importance of a beautiful front porch , 35 years and counting

Adding Pitt, or Syracuse, or WVU, or any run of the mill P5 school, doesn't do anything for the Big 10. They need to add USC and Notre Dame, or Clemson and FSU. They will be fine as a conference as long as Ohio State doesn't bolt(they won't, unless they can stay in the academic alliance), but if they want to get more powerful and rich, adding some average programs isn't going to accomplish that. Outside of Clemson, FSU, Notre Dame, USC and Oregon, I dont see why the Big Ten needs to add right now. They have a lucrative academic setup. They are swimming in research money. Those schools make so much by being in the Big Ten. They make more from the Big Ten Academic Alliance than the SEC makes in football. No one is leaving that set up.
I think ANY conference adding ANY school(s) has to bring in someone who will add more in revenue on NAME only than the conference loses by dividing the revenue pie into more pieces.

There aren’t many right now who can do that. Texas? Probably. Oklahoma? Maybe. But the 2 together? Likely yes.

Big time CFB conferences aren’t running charities. They don’t HAVE to add programs that aren’t going to put a net profit into their coffers. Just adding more mouths to feed doesn‘t do that.

Pitt administration is Pitts own worst enemy, they still fail to understand the importance of a beautiful front porch , 35 years and counting
Pitt’s administration and lukewarm fan base is their worst enemy. I fixed your first sentence.

This isn’t true. Unless you’re Clemson, FSU, and ND, everybody should be worried right now.

BULLSH*T…Your view is shortsighted and predictable. Doom, gloom and it’s ALWAYS bad for Pitt. Everybody and their dog can’t jam into the SEC and Big Ten. There has to be two more viable conferences. If not the super conferences will need to be more than 40 - 48 teams.

You’re stupid act is getting old and tiresome. Get another schtick or get a life, Bozo….

Pitt’s administration and lukewarm fan base is their worst enemy. I fixed your first sentence.
IDK. Pitt’s fan base is no worse than, say, Miami’s is. I’ve been there to see Pitt play. The crowd was WORSE than when Miami plays at Pitt.

It’s about TV appeal now. Not necessarily about in game attendance. In game attendance is Pitt’s problem in terms of generating revenue. The ACC isn’t worried about that. They need to be concerned about TV contracts. ACC programs like Miami, Duke, WF, BC, Syracuse, even UVA, struggle with in game attendance as much - or even more - than Pitt does.

I’d love to see Pitt draw more. So would the Pitt athletic dept. People in the area Pitt draws from want a winner and an “event” (2003 was the high water mark, with Larry Fitz; high pre-season expectations and a great home schedule). Until/unless they get it, Pitt will draw the same crowds as they do now. But that doesn’t necessarily impact what matters most: the tv ratings

Reactions: TFBaum
BULLSH*T…Your view is shortsighted and predictable. Doom, gloom and it’s ALWAYS bad for Pitt. Everybody and their dog can’t jam into the SEC and Big Ten. There has to be two more viable conferences. If not the super conferences will need to be more than 40 - 48 teams.

You’re stupid act is getting old and tiresome. Get another schtick or get a life, Bozo….

lol @ you making this about Pitt. You have a serious victim complex.

This is going to be bad for a lotttttt of teams. That’s why a whole lot of fanbases are freaking out right now.

There are very few teams that can guarantee they will have a chair when the music stops if things go the way they might end up going.

If that were to ever happen, do we start a GoFundMe to hire Indiana Jones to find and recover the Old Ironsides Trophy?

What has the fan been given in 30 plus year to support , seriously? To me us about 40 to 50 years of age, should be given free seats for the horrible investment return known at Pitt football

What has the fan been given in 30 plus year to support , seriously? To me us about 40 to 50 years of age, should be given free seats for the horrible investment return known at Pitt football
I think if you were to analyze the money spent and the results we stack up well. Now if you are looking for more investment to hopefully increase results that is an entirely different question.

Correct. The ACC or B10 adding OK St, Iowa St, TCU, etc.. does nothing.

Nobody is leaving the B10 or ACC either. It's all blogger clickbait.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Pitt always made sense to the B1G because it's in a bigger media market than most of the conference schools can claim and the B1G can't really claim it as its own. I don't know what else to think beyond that.

But they can make at least partial claim to the Pittsburgh market. Plus the Pittsburgh market is too diluted and too much apathy to college sports.

The future of College Football is about brands not markets. If a school wants to stay relevant and be prepared for the future they need to be building their brand nationally.

Reactions: pittchagg
If that were truly the case, Texas has no reason to consider the SEC. They're already the most valuable brand in CFB.
Texas is not making this move for the money they are hoping the SEC will be the boast they need to the football program.

No, they make ZERO from the Big Ten Academic alliance. Actually, it is the reverse, they pay annual dues to be members of it.

Common misunderstanding of what it is because of the publicity statements stating how much combined research is done at Big Ten schools collectively....all they are doing is totaling up the R&D at each school and providing a #. R&D research money is not shared, but generally legally contracted to institutions individually (unless there are subcontracts). The consortium does nothing to facilitate sharing research awards, which actually would be illegal. The Big Ten consortium actually does little to enable or facilitate collaboration on research projects either. That just is not how research works. Collaboration happens primarily at the individual investigator level, and is facilitated primarily through networking within the field of endeavor; not by athletic affiliations.

It is almost entirely a purchasing and IT consortium, and many of these types of consortiums exist outside athletic conference structures. And membership in the consortium has not increased anyone's share of overall government R&D grants (which is particularly true for both PSU and Nebraska as I've previously run the numbers, which have actually decreased since they joined...which also has nothing to do with the consortium).

Athletic conference academic consortia aren't influencing any school's athletic decisions, not matter how university presidents try to paint it after the fact. BTW, the ACC has one too, primarily focused on undergrad programs, and it derives its budget from a small % of the ACC championship game and distributes undergrad research grants to all members from this (something that the B10 consoritium does not do...distribute any money).

Last edited:
The Big10 wants AAU schools. There’s your clue as to who they might want to add.

Note - Nebraska was AAU when they were first brought into the conference.

Reactions: pittmeister
So the future isn't about brands?
Conferences are looking at national brands and are going to be adding big brands. Media markets are no longer going to be the driving force behind conference expansion.

Texas wants to be attached the SEC brand.

I've said this many times, but trolls give themselves away too easily by constantly using 'we' when posting about Pitt on this board. Unless the janitorial staff is considered part of the team, it's just a dead give away, IMO.

Conferences are looking at national brands and are going to be adding big brands. Media markets are no longer going to be the driving force behind conference expansion.

Texas wants to be attached the SEC brand.
Your assumption doesn't make sense. How does attaching themselves to those other schools make Texas a better brand when their brand is already number one? Part of their brand is being able to dictate terms in their own corner of the world. If anything, this move hurts their brand in the long run because they won't be the big fish in the pond anymore. They'll just be another fish along with their old conference chums like Arkansas, A&M, and Mizzou. If they can't find a way to be successful, they risk ending up like Nebraska.

It's probably very reasonable to assume that the Big12 wasn't going to grow the TV deal. Might have even been heading downward. Media markets still matter to the TV people who are paying the bills. Just still more people watching games in the north and east. With the LH network, UT was doing well but ESPN hasn't exactly been quiet about how much that deal has sucked for them. Less TV money was the reality UT was facing and there is no way to build the Big12 up with schools that matter. They tried and failed. The writing is on the wall so unless there is some way for them to unbalance revenue, they're leaving. Either way, UT views this as the only way to improve revenue while they still can.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
The Big10 wants AAU schools. There’s your clue as to who they might want to add.

Note - Nebraska was AAU when they were first brought into the conference.
But everyone in the conference knew they were getting tossed from the AAU, and the push to remove them was made by Michigan.

The B10 has also been after ND forever, which is not an AAU.

AAU isn't a requirement for the B10. It just so happens all but one of their members are in the AAU and bloggers picked up on this similar characteristic. No one knew what the heck the AAU was before conference realignment became click bait. It is always a preference for any conference to have like institutions be members, and AAU schools are similar in other characteristics to most of their membership, but the Big 10 has certainly demonstrated that it is not a requirement.

Last edited:
Television will have a HUGE say as to how this will go down.

So imagine ESPN, CBS, FOX, NBC and ABC and streaming companies like Amazon and Apple (and whomever else is out there), bidding for the TV rights for only two super conferences? Some big time network is going to be left out as well. So to satisfy everyone and make sure there is enough to go around, there will be 3-4 super conferences…

I go back to what I said before, people are not thinking this through and are in a panic. Pitt will be fine.

When the smoke clears, it will be The PAC 12, SEC, The Big Ten and the ACC, each with expanded teams….

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT