ADVERTISEMENT

Can't wait to get this week over.

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
You know what? I hate this "rival trash talk" worse than political talk. At least politics has some substance, though it is essentially playing tic tac toe with most people who for whatever reason, are so beholdened to a party more than say their positions or platforms.

But banal rivalry trash talk, attendance, you play in a weak conference, I mean if we are playing Oklahoma, I get it. But we are playing WVU. They aren't good. Havent been good for over a decade. So why are they so annoying??

I love hearing from opposing fans and objective analyses, but when you have such weak sauce.......it took me awhile to identify these Hoopies with a group, but I think I figured it out who they remind me of. This perfectly summarizes them. At first it seemed like it is going to be fun playing them...but then they start coming around and....well...................

Reactions: FireballZ
They are way more confident than I remember Penn State fans being in 2016. I think we opened that game as 9-point favorites in the summer, but I want to say it was down to 4 by the time of the game. I remember some Penn State fans around me being pretty humble and more or less expecting to lose.

I think some of it is just fans wanting to reinvigorate the rivalry. But some of it seems fairly delusional for a team that hasn't done much of anything lately.

You know what? I hate this "rival trash talk" worse than political talk. At least politics has some substance, though it is essentially playing tic tac toe with most people who for whatever reason, are so beholdened to a party more than say their positions or platforms.

But banal rivalry trash talk, attendance, you play in a weak conference, I mean if we are playing Oklahoma, I get it. But we are playing WVU. They aren't good. Havent been good for over a decade. So why are they so annoying??

I love hearing from opposing fans and objective analyses, but when you have such weak sauce.......it took me awhile to identify these Hoopies with a group, but I think I figured it out who they remind me of. This perfectly summarizes them. At first it seemed like it is going to be fun playing them...but then they start coming around and....well...................

I agree 100% We’ve listen to this horsesh*t all summer….It’s beyond annoying…

Reactions: Farnox
It's extremely annoying. They're like little gnats that just keep flying around and annoying the crap out of people for no good reason. It's time we swat them away. Maybe if we ignore them, they'll just go away and bury themselves somewhere.

That's the reason I'm not interested in Pitt playing this game every year.

A couple of times a decade is more than enough, for me.

The fewer, the better.
I understand rooting for your team. I can understand talking a little smack. No problem. But the anger and delusional arguments that has been spewed wears my patience thin….

As a person who gets triggered by idiots far too often, perhaps I am not the best person to deliver this message.

Just ignore them. This game is better than playing Albany because we get to crush these hilly Mississippians and their pitiful dreams. Win on Thursday and make the Hoopies cry.

Yinz are babies. I love Brawl week. The ACC teams are all lame. Give me weak hoopie trash talk any day of the week over trying to lie to myself that I care about GT or Duke or UNC.
I don’t think the the trash talk is as annoying as the delusion.

I'm with you. I have read so much nonsense from WVU fans the last few weeks.

Yinz are babies. I love Brawl week. The ACC teams are all lame. Give me weak hoopie trash talk any day of the week over trying to lie to myself that I care about GT or Duke or UNC.

Agree. It's an added stress that I don't think our fans are used to, but sports fans are supposed to have some of this.

Only change I wish we could make is to play this on Thanksgiving weekend so that the focus right now would be more on the season as a whole than the twang gang.

Reactions: Ski11585
Absolutely. This is what college football should be about. Trash talk? Bring it on.
It's a sellout, the place will be rocking. Any college football fan should get
excited for this. I watch Michigan vs OSU every year. Why? I have no vested interest
in either team but it's usually a good game for ANY football fan to watch.

Part of me wants to milk the feeling that we have a good team and will play well enough to beat the Mounties so dragging it out is okay! I do get bothered by the wv trolls!

But we are playing WVU. They aren't good. ...So why are they so annoying??

Well, that was sort of like when 13-9 happened, the weak sauce team that was 4-7 and not that good won, that's why they play the games. It is fun playing them, wish it was every year again.

Bingo, It would be great to play the Hoopies and Nitters every year instead of the ACC.

I understand rooting for your team. I can understand talking a little smack. No problem. But the anger and delusional arguments that has been spewed wears my patience thin….
And it's BOTH SIDES, I mean some idiot was on here arguing with 100 posts that "Country Roads" isn't about WV? Now that is F'ing STUPID to get bent about :)

There’s a reason that I don’t watch shows like, “Jerry Springer”, and reality TV.

We have been inundated all summer with posts from people who are target market customers of that type of entertainment.

It is not something that I get invigorated by.

agreed...Testosterone levels dropping all across the land and is probably indicative of Karens being offended by some good old fashioned nonsensical back and forth banter...

you should yammer at these knuckleheads from West Virginia for months leading up to the game and offer them a beer in the lot after they get smoked in the game...

Last edited:
And it's BOTH SIDES, I mean some idiot was on here arguing with 100 posts that "Country Roads" isn't about WV? Now that is F'ing STUPID to get bent about :)
Just sayin.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Just sayin.

an internet link is not the be all end all...other ones say something different...just sayin..

btw, Shenandoah river is not in Maryland at any point...

Reactions: Dewey Eye
Just sayin.

OK, but WHO THE F CARES! Even if it's true, WHO CARES? Pitt uses BOSTON RED SOX theme song, it's a stupid thing to argue about.

agreed...Testosterone levels dropping all across the land and is probably indicative of Karens being offended by some good old fashioned nonsensical back and forth banter...

you should yammer at these knuckleheads from West Virginia for months leading up to the game and offer them a beer in the lot after the get smoked in the game...
Big difference between annoyed and offended.

an internet link is not the be all end all...other ones say something different...just sayin..

The, "Internet link", as you describe it, is an article with quotes from the guy who wrote the friggin song.

This info. that it was written about Maryland hasn't been a secret for years. The only ones I've seen before this who refuse to accept reality have been WV folks who's entire identity is tied up in this song.

The only reason West Virginia is mentioned in the song is because it sounded better than Maryland.

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall

The Maryland-WV state line is along the WV side of the Potomac, so maybe where the Shenandoah empties into the Potomac at Harpers Ferry it is in Maryland for a few inches? You could certainly sit in Maryland and see the river and write a song about it.
I concede nothing to WV. Not this week.

Im so sorry that reading the message boards has been so hard for yinz. Maybe later we can discuss how Sweet Caroline should be replaced with a singing of Kumbaya.

I do think that Pitt is rather let down by the songs it tries to use for ‘motivation’ … our “Renegade” as it were. “Sweet Caroline” just flummoxes me, I don’t and never have seen(heard) the appeal. It’s a song that manages to be wussy yet creepy at the same time, plus it’s already used by umpteen many sports teams. I am actually embarrassed by it, TBH. I do get that it’s meant more of a ‘kumbaya’ kind of song, not an attempt to rev up the crowd. But, still, ugh.

And this new adoption of “Mr. Brightside“ in recent years, is also bizarre to me. I like the Killers and the song rocks somewhat, but it’s … so dam depressing. After all it’s about a dude both resigned yet deluded to the fact that his girl is lying and cheating on him, and that it’s all over. The guy sounds like he’s having a panic attack, rather than inspired to make a great stand. Geez, yeah, let’s get fired up by THAT, guys!

I know, don’t be so literal, it’s the vibe of the song that’s important, not the words, etc etc. Ok. But see, despite the silly dispute over the geography above, at least WVU has a song nobody else is gonna use (thank goodness) and isn’t actually a song that is squeam-inducing. It’s like having “Every Breath You Take” as your wedding song.

Reactions: WeaverIsComing
Personally, I love it. I wish we played WVU, Penn State, and Notre Dame every year. Virginia and Georgia Tech just don’t do it for me like these games do.

Reactions: kma0043
I do think that Pitt is rather let down by the songs it tries to use for ‘motivation’ … our “Renegade” as it were. “Sweet Caroline” just flummoxes me, I don’t and never have seen(heard) the appeal. It’s a song that manages to be wussy yet creepy at the same time, plus it’s already used by umpteen many sports teams. I am actually embarrassed by it, TBH. I do get that it’s meant more of a ‘kumbaya’ kind of song, not an attempt to rev up the crowd. But, still, ugh.

And this new adoption of “Mr. Brightside“ in recent years, is also bizarre to me. I like the Killers and the song rocks somewhat, but it’s … so dam depressing. After all it’s about a dude both resigned yet deluded to the fact that his girl is lying and cheating on him, and that it’s all over. The guy sounds like he’s having a panic attack, rather than inspired to make a great stand. Geez, yeah, let’s get fired up by THAT, guys!

I know, don’t be so literal, it’s the vibe of the song that’s important, not the words, etc etc. Ok. But see, despite the silly dispute over the geography above, at least WVU has a song nobody else is gonna use (thank goodness) and isn’t actually a song that is squeam-inducing. It’s like having “Every Breath You Take” as your wedding song.

Just my opinion, but I would go with something like More Human Than Human. Unfortunately, there's a better chance we add All the Small Things.

The thing about it that makes it work is the spots where yelling "Let's Go Pitt" fits into it.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Just my opinion, but I would go with something like More Human Than Human. Unfortunately, there's a better chance we add All the Small Things.
I just wish there were songs that could be unique for Pitt, ideally with hometown cred and a positive or at least upbeat message am (and not 50 freaking years old like Renegade, a song by a dinosaur rock group from Chicago, ugh). I have always thought using “Pittsburgh Sound” by Wiz Khalifa or “Party On Fifth Avenue” by Mac Miller would be good candidates to rev up our crowds, especially the students and players.

Or if you want to cater to the old people (who actually pay) and thus go older school, but still local… then “Pumping Iron, Sweating Steel” by Joe Grushecky kicks ass. Sh*t, there’s always good old “Ah Leah” for that matter. Maybe they aren’t exactly The “Hey!” song or even “Zombie Nation” …but they definitely ain’t being used by Boston or Carolina or PSU or every other arena.

Or, best idea yet, ask that guy who donated all that money to get the head coach namesake what HIS favorite song is. Chances are (unless it’s “Chances Are”) it will be better than what we use.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT