ADVERTISEMENT

Capel’s video post

I'm very interested to watch Capel's version of positionless basketball. I know we don't have enough athletes yet, but it will it will be fun to watch his strategies develop.

Truly "postionless" basketball is kind of a misnomer, IMHO. Yes, its true you don't have 5 distinctly different specialty roles(i.e, point guard, shooting-guard, small forward, power forward and center); but, basketball has, for a long time, been operating with roughly three different types of positions [i.e., point (1), wing (2, 3) and post (4,5)] with the interchangeability primarily between 2/3s and 4/5s and some 1/2 interchangability (although many 2s don't have the ball skills and leadership skills needed to play the point well). IMHO, that hasn't changed much, if at all in a long time.

Reactions: JokePa
Truly "postionless" basketball is kind of a misnomer, IMHO. Yes, its true you don't have 5 distinctly different specialty roles(i.e, point guard, shooting-guard, small forward, power forward and center); but, basketball has, for a long time, been operating with roughly three different types of positions [i.e., point (1), wing (2, 3) and post (4,5)] with the interchangeability primarily between 2/3s and 4/5s and some 1/2 interchangability (although many 2s don't have the ball skills and leadership skills needed to play the point well). IMHO, that hasn't changed much, if at all in a long time.
Also, when Narduzzi calls for a shotgun formation the team does not form a shotgun or give one to the qb. IMHO.

Reactions: levance2
Yup. I think by position-less, he means he wants players that can play multiple positions, not some new basketball concept we haven't seen yet. I remember in his introductory presser that he said he wants guy that can play multiple positions, outside of true point guards.

I’m not a fan of the “position-less” thing...it’s nice, in theory, but it requires the right type of athlete and I’m not sure we’re getting those guys right now. My biggest fear with Capel is that he’s going to try and do things that worked at Duke here and find it’s a lot harder to do when you’re not starting with Cam Reddish or Zion Williamson.

Something a bit concerning that I saw today was that CBS polled 100 coaches as to who was the best hire this offseason and Capel wasn’t mentioned at all:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...-coaching-hire-of-2018-in-college-basketball/

Pitt hired the absolute best coach they could ...period ! That makes him #1 in my book .

As far as positionless players I'm all for it for three positions , I'd still think it's crucial to have a true point guard and it would be really nice to have a traditional center / rim protector .

I didn’t mean to come across as alarmist, I’m just not as blindly optimistic about Capel as I’ve seen in others. I’m hopeful it will workout and will happily eat crow if he’s a smashing success, but I just think there were far, far better options.
Think Kate Upton would be a better option for a mate ? Unfortunately we don't live in fantasy land !

I didn’t mean to come across as alarmist, I’m just not as blindly optimistic about Capel as I’ve seen in others. I’m hopeful it will workout and will happily eat crow if he’s a smashing success, but I just think there were far, far better options.

Of course you meant to be alarmist. If you don't think he's a great candidate or a great coach, then you wouldn't be surprised that he isn't on a top-5 list.

I have said since the hire that I think it's entirely possible that Hurley ends up being known as a much more successful HC than Capel, but I doubt that Hurley would have been as successful here, or at least as successful as quickly.

Of course you meant to be alarmist. If you don't think he's a great candidate or a great coach, then you wouldn't be surprised that he isn't on a top-5 list.

I have said since the hire that I think it's entirely possible that Hurley ends up being known as a much more successful HC than Capel, but I doubt that Hurley would have been as successful here, or at least as successful as quickly.

Hurley isn’t the only guy who was a better option, but he was far and away the best option. We got outmanuevered by a school that has faded and is struggling for money...that was upsetting. Look at the guys he’s in on for 2019 for them and tell me again that he couldn’t have gotten this turned around quickly.

Beyond him, however, we should’ve backed up a Brinks truck for Musselman or Oats. Any of those 3 would’ve had me much more optimistic

Hurley isn’t the only guy who was a better option, but he was far and away the best option. We got outmanuevered by a school that has faded and is struggling for money...that was upsetting. Look at the guys he’s in on for 2019 for them and tell me again that he couldn’t have gotten this turned around quickly.

Beyond him, however, we should’ve backed up a Brinks truck for Musselman or Oats. Any of those 3 would’ve had me much more optimistic
How can we be out maneuvered when Hurley never had interest in taking the pitt job?

Reactions: DiehardPanther
How can we be out maneuvered when Hurley never had interest in taking the pitt job?

Nor did Musselman, at this point he has no interest in leaving Reno.

So that leaves Oats, who I wouldn’t consider to be in the class of Capel, Hurley, or Musselman at this point.

My opinion of Capel isn’t nearly as high as many fans here, but given the circumstances I think Pitt did as well as they possibly could’ve.

Nor did Musselman, at this point he has no interest in leaving Reno.

So that leaves Oats, who I wouldn’t consider to be in the class of Capel, Hurley, or Musselman at this point.

My opinion of Capel isn’t nearly as high as many fans here, but given the circumstances I think Pitt did as well as they possibly could’ve.
Frankly they did much better than than I expected.

We made a hire who actually msy have success- and at worst will inject talent into the program.
Which after Stallings killed it, is exciting to me.

Hurley and Oats would have came to Pitt for an ungodly amount of money. Neither wanted the job and both would have required a heavy premium. So, do you pay Capel $2 million or Oats $3.75 million? It may have taken Hurley over $4 million.

Capel was a fine hire

You've got to consider the gap from the alternative too. The difference between Stallings coaching this team next year and Capel coaching this team next year is the biggest difference compared to anyone in the country. I understand why Mack won but if UL went with Padgett it wouldn't have been like Stallings here for a 3rd year.

Lyke did a great job.

UConn, like Pitt, knew that their coach was likely done without a big turnaround and set this in motion long before March. It seems awfully convenient that Jim Calhoun started hanging around URI practices and that longtime Calhoun lieutenant Tom Moore ended up on Hurley’s staff last year. I don’t think he was a done deal to UConn like most assume, but rather that we got outmaneuvered. Two schools had a good idea that they would be in the market for a coach...one made the necessary moves to land their top choice, the other showed up late to the Dance and expected to bring home the Prom Queen.

To the point someone made regarding money...if we can’t lure a guy away from UConn, which is broke, or Buffalo, which is Buffalo, then there are problems. I’ve heard the same on Musselman...he isn’t coming East unless it’s a can’t-miss job, but missing on the other two was a mistake.

UConn, like Pitt, knew that their coach was likely done without a big turnaround and set this in motion long before March. It seems awfully convenient that Jim Calhoun started hanging around URI practices and that longtime Calhoun lieutenant Tom Moore ended up on Hurley’s staff last year. I don’t think he was a done deal to UConn like most assume, but rather that we got outmaneuvered. Two schools had a good idea that they would be in the market for a coach...one made the necessary moves to land their top choice, the other showed up late to the Dance and expected to bring home the Prom Queen.

To the point someone made regarding money...if we can’t lure a guy away from UConn, which is broke, or Buffalo, which is Buffalo, then there are problems. I’ve heard the same on Musselman...he isn’t coming East unless it’s a can’t-miss job, but missing on the other two was a mistake.
Hurley never wanted the Pitt job , what's so hard to grasp about that ?
Even if he did more importantly Mrs Hurley didn't!
Your also not taking into account how toxic the Pitt situation was , basically firing the best coach in their bb hx then hiring a total bust . Being the only D1 team not to win a conference game . Playing to an empty gym . Plus the gross lack of talent on the roster . Neither Musselman or Oats were desperate for a HC job .
Pitt hired a proven recruiter who wants to prove he can be a successful HC . Pitt hired the best man they could've......period .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT