ADVERTISEMENT

Capel coaching adjustments

Honestly impressed with the second half lineup and personnel adjustments to win that game
That’s all

Was going to say the same thing. Jeffress over Fede to guard Reid changed the game. Would they have won if they stayed Fede? Maybe. But Reid was eating his lunch and once Jeffress was inserted, I dont think he had a point or rebound. Full credit to Capel here.

Also, Leggett over Austin, though obvious was the right call. Leggett was probably the biggest reason we won.

Was going to say the same thing. Jeffress over Fede to guard Reid changed the game. Would they have won if they stayed Fede? Maybe. But Reid was eating his lunch and once Jeffress was inserted, I dont think he had a point or rebound. Full credit to Capel here.

Also, Leggett over Austin, though obvious was the right call. Leggett was probably the biggest reason we won.
Leggett was big but hard to single out one guy for the win. We don’t win without Jeffress, Carrington and Leggett’s efforts.

BTW, give Capel full marks for realizing that and playing Jeffress all those minutes in the second half, but what in the name of god was Steve Forbes thinking in not running his offense through Reid on pretty much every possession for the first three quarters of the game? How did he not see that was the biggest mismatch on the court, and one that they needed to exploit for everything they could get out of it?

Insider has said that there are some matchups and games that you just can't play Guillermo Diaz Graham in. Tonight, half way through the second half, Jeff Capel finally realized that in some games and against some matchups you also can't play Federiko Federiko.
He played his well in the first half. In second half, he started getting comfortable and just using Fede like a cone. Jeffress stronger base, relentless made him uncomfortable.

We’re halfway thru the ACC season. Is there any game the twins can play in and be effective?

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
He played his well in the first half.

He played "well" in the first half because Steve Forbes stupidly did not run his offense through Reid on every possession. When Reid got the ball one on one with Federiko one of two things happend. Either Reid bullied Federiko and got to the exact spot he wanted to, or we doubled down on Reid and left one of their shooters wide open at the three point line. They should have been running that over and over again, until someone showed they wouldn't let Reid bully them all over the court.

Fortunately, by the time that they decided that they were going to run their offense more through Reid, Capel made the change to Jeffress and he didn't let Reid get to wherever he wanted. Which seemed to frustrate the heck out of him.

He played "well" in the first half because Steve Forbes stupidly did not run his offense through Reid on every possession. When Reid got the ball one on one with Federiko one of two things happend. Either Reid bullied Federiko and got to the exact spot he wanted to, or we doubled down on Reid and left one of their shooters wide open at the three point line. They should have been running that over and over again, until someone showed they wouldn't let Reid bully them all over the court.

Fortunately, by the time that they decided that they were going to run their offense more through Reid, Capel made the change to Jeffress and he didn't let Reid get to wherever he wanted. Which seemed to frustrate the heck out of him.
Yeah thank god we never put in Guillermo. The twins needs to be looked at to move on after this year. Useless.

Fede ended with 6/7

Reid ended with 14/10

Considering 2 schools passed on Fede before he ended up at Pitt and Reid was one of the most heavily recruited bigs in his class that’s not bad.

Yeah thank god we never put in Guillermo. The twins needs to be looked at to move on after this year. Useless.

Fede ended with 6/7

Reid ended with 14/10

Considering 2 schools passed on Fede before he ended up at Pitt and Reid was one of the most heavily recruited bigs in his class that’s not bad.
Maybe I’m misunderstanding you but it seems like you’re trying to say Fede played decent.

I’d have to disagree. I think he was pretty bad. Good example of when the stat lines don’t tell the whole story.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding you but it seems like you’re trying to say Fede played decent.

I’d have to disagree. I think he was pretty bad. Good example of when the stat lines don’t tell the whole story.
Fede was fine. 6 points, 7 boards and a blocks. One of his better games against a good center. Yeah, he was nothing special, but what he did allowed us to stay close.

Fede was fine. 6 points, 7 boards and a blocks. One of his better games against a good center. Yeah, he was nothing special, but what he did allowed us to stay close.
I’d have to disagree with you as well, particularly the ‘one of his better games against a good center’.

It was more the case of what Joe said earlier in this thread. If Steve Forbes would have kept feeding the ball to Reid in the 1st half the game would have been over because Fede had no answer and neither did our double team.

Reactions: FireballZ
BTW, give Capel full marks for realizing that and playing Jeffress all those minutes in the second half, but what in the name of god was Steve Forbes thinking in not running his offense through Reid on pretty much every possession for the first three quarters of the game? How did he not see that was the biggest mismatch on the court, and one that they needed to exploit for everything they could get out of it?

And how was Fede in the running for DPOY last year and is now making Efton Reid look like Tim Duncan? Also, why didnt we recruit him out of the portal? I also like Andrew Carr. What's funny is I watched him in the NCAA Tournament at PPG and as we were waiting outside to go back in during the change in sessions, he comes walking out where his family is waiting. I had no idea who he was prior to the game and I was thinking why hasnt Pitt had a C as good as this Delaware kid in about 10 years. I seriously contemplated striking up a conversation with him and telling him that Pitt needs a Center.

He was a net negative player compared to his man he was guarding
His defense sucked

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT