ADVERTISEMENT

Capel gotta get a verbal soon

Its about that time folks. 75-80% of the Top 100/150 will be signed in early November.

How many are signed now?

You cant sign until November but 54 out of the Top 150 are committed. If Capel is going to bring in a few Top 150s, its gotta be fairly soon. Sure, he did extremely well in the reclass market last year and could go that route again but that's more unreliable.

You cant sign until November but 54 out of the Top 150 are committed. If Capel is going to bring in a few Top 150s, its gotta be fairly soon. Sure, he did extremely well in the reclass market last year and could go that route again but that's more unreliable.

Right. That's barely 1/3. I'm not particularly concerned that Capel doesn't have a verbal yet. If it's November and the situation is the same, perhaps we can start to worry then.

Yeah it seems really low this year, it seems more kids are waiting. So I would think many schools are in the same boat right nw

Yeah it seems really low this year, it seems more kids are waiting. So I would think many schools are in the same boat right nw

It also wouldn't surprise me if we're having a different conversation in say... two weeks. It seems like there are a handful of kids right on the edge. Hopefully Capel can close on them.

Calm down. With football season here the official visits will be picking up.

Reactions: President Stache

Right. That's barely 1/3. I'm not particularly concerned that Capel doesn't have a verbal yet. If it's November and the situation is the same, perhaps we can start to worry then.

Yea but we are in prime verbal season now so you are going to see about 50-70 more of those names come off the board in the next 2 months.

Yea but we are in prime verbal season now so you are going to see about 50-70 more of those names come off the board in the next 2 months.

Yes, but as others said, often you want an official weekend paired up with a football game or something along those lines. Do we know if anyone is coming this weekend?

Looks like only Morton and and another 2020 kid this weekend.

Their primary targets all seem set on taking a number of visits and taking their time before making decision. They do have a quality big who they seem to be moving in a positive direction with, but not real likely we get any big news soon.

Looks like only Morton and and another 2020 kid this weekend.

Their primary targets all seem set on taking a number of visits and taking their time before making decision. They do have a quality big who they seem to be moving in a positive direction with, but not real likely we get any big news soon.

Still a little early but this class has the early makings of a Dixon-esque class. Just hopefully Dixon I, which would be ok. Hopefully not Dixon II

Still a little early but this class has the early makings of a Dixon-esque class. Just hopefully Dixon I, which would be ok. Hopefully not Dixon II

You're being just a wee bit dramatic, don't you think?

I don't think. I said its still early but there are some signs that this class may be Dixon-esque. And as I said, a Dixon I class wouldn't be that bad though we would expect more. I still think Capel pulls in at least 1 Top 100

I don't think. I said its still early but there are some signs that this class may be Dixon-esque. And as I said, a Dixon I class wouldn't be that bad though we would expect more. I still think Capel pulls in at least 1 Top 100

Seeing as how "Dixon I" classes saw Pitt secure a #1 ranking and two #1 seeds in the tournament, I would think fans would be thrilled with that sort of recruiting.

Seeing as how "Dixon I" classes saw Pitt secure a #1 ranking and two #1 seeds in the tournament, I would think fans would be thrilled with that sort of recruiting.

Yes and no. I think there is a feeling that Dixon-ball and his micromanaging was why those teams and those recruits were successful.

Just to throw in another thought: The Gatto-Code-Dawkins trial in Federal court begins in a bit over three weeks. If the files the FBI has, become public at that time, or in the following weeks, they could throw a monkey wrench into many plans for signing day It's conceivable that a lot of committed prospects will either de-commit or postpone signing until spring. Among other things, just because the evidence the FBI has isn't enough for an indictment doesn't mean it isn't enough for NCAA sanctions. I believe this was a consideration when the NCAA changed its rules this summer concerning the evidence acceptable in its proceedings. Regardless, I really believe this is going to elongate the recruiting process. I could be wrong, but I believe we're going to see a robust late recruiting period so it might be a bit early to worry.

Just to throw in another thought: The Gatto-Code-Dawkins trial in Federal court begins in a bit over three weeks. If the files the FBI has, become public at that time, or in the following weeks, they could throw a monkey wrench into many plans for signing day It's conceivable that a lot of committed prospects will either de-commit or postpone signing until spring. Among other things, just because the evidence the FBI has isn't enough for an indictment doesn't mean it isn't enough for NCAA sanctions. I believe this was a consideration when the NCAA changed its rules this summer concerning the evidence acceptable in its proceedings. Regardless, I really believe this is going to elongate the recruiting process. I could be wrong, but I believe we're going to see a robust late recruiting period so it might be a bit early to worry.
Excellent points. I have been kinda expecting all along the FBI would toss Capel a bone or two.

He may be getting one soon. Anthony Walker and Qudas Wahab just got CB’d to Pitt by a very reliable contributor. Those would be great additions for our front court!

This is a good sign coming from Slater, but we need to close. With recruiting, it’s never over until they sign.

On the brighter side, Cuse (our main competition for Wahab) officially offered Dimon Carrigan, which I think is a good sign. Carrigan is going to be a really good player but he’s got some serious red flags in terms of academics and was likely bound for Houston prior to the the Cuse offer. That’s the best school on his offer list by a long shot, so I anticipate he doesnt waste any time committing.

As I mentioned in another thread, we need to close on Wahab before the other C’s start coming off the board. A Fall commitment from him would be huge.

I’d love to add Isaiah Wong to that mix, too, though it looks like Miami will be tough to bear in that one.

Wong to Miami is pretty much a done deal. He’s on his OV this weekend and I think a commitment is probably forthcoming.

Watch what happens with Jalen Gaffney over the next few weeks. He’s thought to be a UConn lean, but he just pushed up an OV to Xavier to follow his visit to UConn next weekend which is interesting. If he’s still uncommitted by the end of the month, we have an opening

Reactions: singregardless
Wong to Miami is pretty much a done deal. He’s on his OV this weekend and I think a commitment is probably forthcoming.

Watch what happens with Jalen Gaffney over the next few weeks. He’s thought to be a UConn lean, but he just pushed up an OV to Xavier to follow his visit to UConn next weekend which is interesting. If he’s still uncommitted by the end of the month, we have an opening

-Pitt and Florida stopped recruiting Gaffney reported a week ago.

Add Ledlum to that class and Pitt will have a great foundation in 2 years.
I’d love to see that happen. Move Toney to SG and you have a future starting five of McGowens-Toney-Ledlum-Walker-Wahab. That’d be fun. Not to mention throwing Ethan Morton potentially in 2020.

Where do you think a class of Wahab, Ledlum, and Walker finishes?

Fringe top 25 class.

Edit: more specifically the class won't be ranked as high as USC's 3 man class last year #21 but better than AZ's 3 man class #35.

If Pitt ends up taking a 4th player it will be a top 25 class.

I’d love to see that happen. Move Toney to SG and you have a future starting five of McGowens-Toney-Ledlum-Walker-Wahab. That’d be fun. Not to mention throwing Ethan Morton potentially in 2020.

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt725
Add Ledlum to that class and Pitt will have a great foundation in 2 years.

77, 95, and 105? That would be the best Pitt recruiting class since Dixon I and possibly the best (on paper) since Willard's 1st. I cant think of the last time we got 3 Top 100ish recruits. We haven't had ANY since, man, Birch/Adams? Not counting the kids who reclassified (McGowens, Toney)

77, 95, and 105? That would be the best Pitt recruiting class since Dixon I and possibly the best (on paper) since Willard's 1st. I cant think of the last time we got 3 Top 100ish recruits. We haven't had ANY since, man, Birch/Adams? Not counting the kids who reclassified (McGowens, Toney)
Michael Young was a top-100 recruit in the 2013 class, and Robinson was top-100 in Adams’ class in 2012. Nothing since then, though Damon Wilson was #110 in the 247 composite in the 2015 class.

In other news, another Pitt crystal ball for Walker came in last night from 247’s director of basketball scouting. Another good sign - I’d love to see him pull the trigger on campus this weekend.

Reactions: FieldHouse12
The 2010 class with Birch, Durand and Gilbert had three top 100ish players was the last time and this also turned out to be Dixon's least successful class in time.

The 2012 class with Robinson and Adams and 2013 class with top 100 Young and 2 top 150s with Artis and Newkirk were also good and fairly decent, respectively, on paper.

Michael Young was a top-100 recruit in the 2013 class, and Robinson was top-100 in Adams’ class in 2012. Nothing since then, though Damon Wilson was #110 in the 247 composite in the 2015 class.

In other news, another Pitt crystal ball for Walker came in last night from 247’s director of basketball scouting. Another good sign - I’d love to see him pull the trigger on campus this weekend.
I'd sure love it too.

I'd sure love it too.

So 5 straight classes without a Top 100 player? I'd guess Pitt is one of the only P6 schools to say that. It certainly seems like things are shaping up for Walker to commit this weekend

So 5 straight classes without a Top 100 player? I'd guess Pitt is one of the only P6 schools to say that. It certainly seems like things are shaping up for Walker to commit this weekend

4 straight.
McGowens this year.

One could argue a little for Damon Wilson and Marcus Carr but neither were consensus top 100.

I suspect there are more schools in this boat than you think.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT