ADVERTISEMENT

Capel on ESPN Courtside Podcast

Pretty interesting that he said that hes not taking bodies just to take bodies and that he one of the mistakes he made at Oklahoma was filling out the roster just to add bodies. When you look at who he is currently recruiting you don't see a lot of guys ranked lower than 150 or so. To me that says he wants to live in that top 150-200 range and if he can't get those guys, won't fill the scholarships. If you look at Larranaga, he only keeps 10 on scholarship and they all play

Thanks for sharing. Great insight on how Capel put his staff together and how he approached his first few weeks on the job.

Interesting, blunt quote near the beginning of the interview...

“The first thing I had to do was establish a culture. It wasn’t even changing a culture because I’m not sure there even was one before.”

Last edited:
I hope he finds he enjoys building relationships with his recruits over three or four years, as opposed to shepherding them through a one year NBA internship.

I know this is very premature (so don't lecture me about being negative, this is just a casual comment), but if he continues having this kind of success at Pitt, there's going to a lot of media talk about him replacing Coach K. I hope he wants to build his own legacy here.

If I recall correctly, replacing John Wooden and Bear Bryant weren't exactly wonderful experiences for their successors. I think Coach K would fall into that category.

I hope he finds he enjoys building relationships with his recruits over three or four years, as opposed to shepherding them through a one year NBA internship.

I know this is very premature (so don't lecture me about being negative, this is just a casual comment), but if he continues having this kind of success at Pitt, there's going to a lot of media talk about him replacing Coach K. I hope he wants to build his own legacy here.

If I recall correctly, replacing John Wooden and Bear Bryant weren't exactly wonderful experiences for their successors. I think Coach K would fall into that category.

Jeff. Capel. Is. Not. Going. To. Pick. Pitt. Over. Duke!

Please stop. Its Duke! If Duke wants him, we should throw him a huge going away party because that means he did big things here. Duke can hire anyone they want and NOBODY is saying no except maybe NBA coaches.

Reactions: freddietee511
On from the roughly 29:40 mark to about 43:30.

https://es.pn/2QTLiZS
This was a great listen. Thanks for posting.

Jeff Capel is such a great interview- insightful, honest, reflective.

His comments about the end of his time at Oklahoma and hurting the program for a couple of years even after he was gone because he brought in ‘bodies ‘ instead of taking players he really wanted was fascinating. First - it was fascinating and refreshing that he would admit that in a public forum and insightful into how he will approach recruiting at Pitt. We might see him not always use his full allotment of scholarships—- he appears to be very selective and would rather a short roster than a full roster with some reaches.

Please stop. Its Duke! If Duke wants him, we should throw him a huge going away party because that means he did big things here. Duke can hire anyone they want and NOBODY is saying no except maybe NBA coaches.

You, of all people, are telling someone else to please stop?!

My first two words were " I hope". Not " I predict" or "I think".

Reactions: FireballZ
There is no "hope." There is no decision. If Duke selects him, he is there and that is fine.
Chris Peterson turned down every coaching job in America to live in the Northwest. Alabama could open up tomorrow and Peterson would say no. To each their own.

I said this in an earlier thread - I'm not losing any sleep over this, but SMF is right. Capel and his wife are alums. He's a former player! Their families live down there. It's Duke.

It's no surprise he will be on the shortest of short lists when the time comes. Let's keep focused on now and enjoy it.

Chris Peterson turned down every coaching job in America to live in the Northwest. Alabama could open up tomorrow and Peterson would say no. To each their own.
You do understand the difference? Petersen was born and educated in CALIFORNIA. I get Bama is one of the premiere jobs in CFB, but he has zero ties to that school or region.

You do understand the difference? Petersen was born and educated in CALIFORNIA. I get Bama is one of the premiere jobs in CFB, but he has zero ties to that school or region.
Petersen turned down USC, UCLA, and Cal. All 3 of those schools have far more money, better tradition, and a far better recruiting ground as opposed to Boise State or Washington. USC is one of the best jobs in the the entire country. He didnt even think about it. Amazing the loyalty Petersen has as opposed to say Jamie Dixon who was using other schools as a negotiating tool against Pitt every off season. Maybe I'm wrong, but Capel seems like the anti Dixon in everything he does. I guess we will see but some people choose to build their own legacy. Chris Petersen is a fine example of that. He aint leaving the northwest for anything.

Petersen turned down USC, UCLA, and Cal. All 3 of those schools have far more money, better tradition, and a far better recruiting ground as opposed to Boise State or Washington. USC is one of the best jobs in the the entire country. He didnt even think about it. Amazing the loyalty Petersen has as opposed to say Jamie Dixon who was using other schools as a negotiating tool against Pitt every off season. Maybe I'm wrong, but Capel seems like the anti Dixon in everything he does. I guess we will see but some people choose to build their own legacy. Chris Petersen is a fine example of that. He aint leaving the northwest for anything.
That's fine. I can't disagree with any of that.

This is all a moot discussion anyways.

Dont be so stupid. There is no discussion. Capel is not picking Pitt over Duke.

You said Pitt would win 0 acc games this year. In fact you didnt say it once, you said it about 1000 times. Calling me stupid is flaming the board. Your prediction on Pitt was one of the worst predictions Ive ever read on this board. Between that and you suggesting half of Penn States team is going to transfer to Pitt. Heres a hint. Zero Penn state players are transferring here.

Reactions: PittPoker
You said Pitt would win 0 acc games this year. In fact you didnt say it once, you said it about 1000 times. Calling me stupid is flaming the board. Your prediction on Pitt was one of the worst predictions Ive ever read on this board. Between that and you suggesting half of Penn States team is going to transfer to Pitt. Heres a hint. Zero Penn state players are transferring here.

Nope. I predicted 3-15 many times. I said 0 remained a possibility because we'd be underdogs in all 18 games. Regardless it doesnt change the fact that its idiotic to believe a Duke alum and all-time great from Fayetteville, NC with a Duke alum for a wife who is a Coach K disciple would turn down Duke for Pitt. The chance of that is 0.0%.

You know the guy, huh?

Look, any reasonable Pitt fan understands that Capel would most likely choose to return to Duke as HC if the option presented itself. Your overly aggressive rebuke of anybody who suggests otherwise is bizarre, though. You have no insight whatsoever. You're speculating just like everybody else, so why be so obnoxious about it?

ADVERTISEMENT