ADVERTISEMENT

Capel on the rebuilt roster, the outlook for the season and more

Chris Peak

Lair Hall of Famer
Staff
Jun 19, 2004
Nice. Frustrated as a fan that this past off season seemed to be a real wake up call for Coach with perhaps an indication that previous season’s recruiting energy might have been different.

He said it. They have to produce. So far in Capel's tenure, they haven't produced. Let's hope going forward, starting with this year, they produce.

Now we just have to define "produce". I wonder what Capel is thinking on that one? I'm hoping it's 20 wins minimum.

Yes, all of Capel’s words for vague and hesitant. No promises made really. Didn’t even over praise John. Seemingly trying to lower expectations from the start but probably really hoping for something really good.

i would be happy for over 500 and on the bubble.

I see him using the word "hope" a lot. Hope is not a strategy. We don't even know what his strategy is to achieve a winning record, unless it's to "hope". He needs to quit with the coach talk and talk real strategy and what he will achieve this year. What's his plan????

Reactions: Duneaux Harm
What did you want him to say?

Something, oh I don't know, about his strategies with specific players for the coming season, how he'll be using specific players, a plan for the coming season, not just "hope". That's laughable.

It's time for Capel to produce a winner, not just a 0.500 team. How is he going to do that? I didn't see any plans in that transcript that show specific actions to do that. Results! Results!

Something, oh I don't know, about his strategies with specific players for the coming season, how he'll be using specific players, a plan for the coming season, not just "hope". That's laughable.

It's time for Capel to produce a winner, not just a 0.500 team. How is he going to do that? I didn't see any plans in that transcript that show specific actions to do that. Results! Results!
When was the last press conference you saw that actually went into substance? Not just Pitt Hoops. Literally any coach at any level in any sport?

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
I was more disappointed in the tone and body language. It seemed like it was a post game after an 0-5 non conference start AND someone kicked his dog. There's zero enthusiasm and this is the best team he's ever started a season with at Pitt.

I was more disappointed in the tone and body language. It seemed like it was a post game after an 0-5 non conference start AND someone kicked his dog. There's zero enthusiasm and this is the best team he's ever started a season with at Pitt.

He's never been very good with his body language or tone. It's almost like he's bored with the questions or his job.

We also don't know how good this team is until they're on the court and have played 10 games or so. I'm withholding judgement until I see some results and a difference from the previous years.

I'll be the first to jump on board this train if somehow Capel can pull it together and get us on track for 20 wins this year, or even close to that. Hell, 17 wins would be major progress from what he's done previously. But those are low expectations going forward for this program. Pitt has been a better program that than 10 to 20 years ago and we need to get back to that.

Last edited:
What's wrong? You don't appreciate facts and reality? Because that's what I plainly stated. I assume you're content with mediocrity and lack of results. Maybe that works in your profession but it never worked in mine and it shouldn't work in a profession where a guy is getting paid over $3mil a year to produce results but has yet to show anything.

If anyone is the mental patient, it's you. You don't see me coming on here and attacking you for no reason, even though I certainly could. You're an easy target and rather clueless about everything. Now run along and quit bothering us sane people who live in reality. And quit responding to my posts!! What did I tell you? You don't seem to know how to follow directions, or maybe you don't understand the English language. Fool.
What’s wrong is that no coach does that. Why would he give his strategy in a press conference? I get that you are unhappy with what he has put on the court so far, but we don’t need to tear apart every little thing the guy does.

What’s wrong is that no coach does that. Why would he give his strategy in a press conference? I get that you are unhappy with what he has put on the court so far, but we don’t need to tear apart every little thing the guy does.

Sorry, I guess you're right. I was looking for more substance from him. Not just fluff and he seems kind of unenthusiastic about it, other saying he "hopes" things will get better.

Sorry, I guess you're right. I was looking for more substance from him. Not just fluff and he seems kind of unenthusiastic about it, other saying he "hopes" things will get better.

I agree. He should have spent time in a preseason press conference detailing the top three offensive sets the team wants to run this season, as well as two or three of their top under the basket inbounds plays. That would have been great.

I wonder why more coaches, or, really, any coaches, don't do that?

When was the last press conference you saw that actually went into substance? Not just Pitt Hoops. Literally any coach at any level in any sport?
Except that based on the last 6 years this instance does warrant more details imo. He has to engage the fan base and suck us in not reiterate what he has shown the previous 6 years I still can't believe it's been that long and we have endured this staff let alone have to listen to the same answers. He could be a lot smarter about what he says but either 1. He has no plan 2 doesn't respect the magnitude of this season in the eyes of the fans in relation to his job. This comes off as both

Except that based on the last 6 years this instance does warrant more details imo. He has to engage the fan base and suck us in not reiterate what he has shown the previous 6 years I still can't believe it's been that long and we have endured this staff let alone have to listen to the same answers. He could be a lot smarter about what he says but either 1. He has no plan 2 doesn't respect the magnitude of this season in the eyes of the fans in relation to his job. This comes off as both
I think you thinking he doesn’t understand his current circumstances is a case of you not thinking !

I think you thinking he doesn’t understand his current circumstances is a case of you not thinking !
I'm sure he understands it. He isn't dumb but not engaging fans on this in more depth is the dumb part

Last edited:
He works for Heather and Pitt not for me and you .
Why do people act like this isn't a revenue driven business with customers? The fan base is the sole reason he exists at pitt and is the way he is paid.

Reactions: Pitt BMA
Why do people act like this isn't a revenue driven business with customers? The fan base is the sole reason he exists at pitt and is the way he is paid.
He , just like every other coach at that level and above is paid to win .

If he starts winning it will be amazing the fan support he‘ll receive.

Well you want the coach to be your best bud and that’s not his job . Private Caleco .
Huh? Best bud who said that? That makes no sense. The argument here is does a horrible job engaging the fan base on items like where the program is going and how he intends to get there. It's year 6 and he still has zero plan just another year of roll the ball out and let's see what happens! Awesome

Reactions: Pitt Tears
Huh? Best bud who said that? That makes no sense. The argument here is does a horrible job engaging the fan base on items like where the program is going and how he intends to get there. It's year 6 and he still has zero plan just another year of roll the ball out and let's see what happens! Awesome
Because he’s losing , he could engage the fans exactly the same and if he was winning no one would have an issue and the Pete wouldn’t be empty .. Just ask a Patriot fan .

The practice was very structured by the way .

And I shouldn’t tell you this ,but his plans for the future is to recruit better players , which it appears is happening.

Because he’s losing , he could engage the fans exactly the same and if he was winning no one would have an issue and the Pete wouldn’t be empty .. Just ask a Patriot fan .

The practice was very structured by the way .

And I shouldn’t tell you this ,but his plans for the future is to recruit better players , which it appears is happening.
Lol that's every coaches "plan" every year. If he is winning he has set a bar and has the fans trust so people aren't asking.
He has no fan trust and it's been 6 years. How hard is this for you to understand. "Just shut up he's the coach everything will be fine" would be okay except he has had 5 disastrous seasons here and NO ONE GOES TO GAMES.
Winning coaches don't need to explain themselves to get fans in the door. Losers like Capel do

Lol that's every coaches "plan" every year. If he is winning he has set a bar and has the fans trust so people aren't asking.
He has no fan trust and it's been 6 years. How hard is this for you to understand. "Just shut up he's the coach everything will be fine" would be okay except he has had 5 disastrous seasons here and NO ONE GOES TO GAMES.
Winning coaches don't need to explain themselves to get fans in the door. Losers like Capel do
Why does a guy whose losing need to appease you while someone winning doesn’t ? The people who count don’t really care what we the fans really think . Proof hiring KS !

JC is still here because money is more important than W’s for Pitt .

I for one wouldn’t have minded if they had cut bait after last season , but it’s not my money . Now it appears to me his recruiting is getting better plus he had an excellent off season recruiting. Now I think you stay the course .

The fans will return when they start winning not when people like the coach speak .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT