ADVERTISEMENT

Carr to Minnesota

Why root against a kid because he wanted or needed a change , wish both stayed , but they both felt it was best for them to move on . Stewart will be a good asset for a team that has a good pg and big man . He might even play for a team that runs plays for him and sets picks .
In the long run JC will replace these guys with more talented players if he continues to recruit the way he’s started and he’s just getting started !

Well, since you quoted my post, I'm not sure what you're saying; "root against..." ?? Criticizing a players floor game doesn't mean that you can't
root for them as well. I stated that "I wish them both good luck and hope they do well in their college careers."

Carr's handlers knew what they were doing...Instead of playing for a coach that was just hired and can recruit better players, they decided the best thing to do is sit out a year and play for a coach that's on the hot seat...

Nothing against Minnesota, but..... Not too smart...

I still wish him the best, even though he didn't live up to his hype at Pitt. Not all his fault, though.

My advice to him is the same as it is for Stewart and most college players. Make sure you get a good degree and graduate with something that will allow you to get a job where you can make a decent living. Carr will not be playing beyond college unless he suddenly acquires new talent and his development skyrockets. Good luck to him.

Stallings is the worst coach in college basketball? I wouldn't go that far.

I was never happier to see a coach go as I was to see Stallings out. I was among those who expected a Pitt fail from day one; although not such a spectacular one.

I never believed him to be the "worst coach in college basketball" and still don't believe that to be true. I did and do believe him to be a pedestrian coach whose career results were disappointing relative to the level of talent he had recruited. I base that personal opinion on a long Vanderbilt coaching history plus the year #1 result at Pitt.

Perhaps disappointing recruiting results and a spectacular year #2 fail led you to your extremist conclusion?
Don't forget this clown H2P1985's other gem from his earlier post, which is that Capel is "one of the best coaches in the country". While most of us are happy with the hire and optimistic to see what he can do at Pitt, that's just an absolutely absurd statement.

As for Carr, he was a true freshman surrounded by true freshman getting baptized by fire in the ACC. While he may not be an athletic specimen, he was a top 100 recruit and has some upside, and 3 years to develop. I think he'll be a significant contributor on a lower-tier B10 program, the only question is how soon. He gets a whole season off to work on his game and body, so it might be sooner than some think.

Some on this board forget what players like Wanamaker, Ron Ramon, Gil Brown etc. looked like when they were true freshmen.

Reactions: gary2 and FireballZ
Don't forget this clown H2P1985's other gem from his earlier post, which is that Capel is "one of the best coaches in the country". While most of us are happy with the hire and optimistic to see what he can do at Pitt, that's just an absolutely absurd statement.

As for Carr, he was a true freshman surrounded by true freshman getting baptized by fire in the ACC. While he may not be an athletic specimen, he was a top 100 recruit and has some upside, and 3 years to develop. I think he'll be a significant contributor on a lower-tier B10 program, the only question is how soon. He gets a whole season off to work on his game and body, so it might be sooner than some think.

Some on this board forget what players like Wanamaker, Ron Ramon, Gil Brown etc. looked like when they were true freshmen.

I don't understand why people have to call others names while making up stuff. But if that's your MO, go knock yourself out. But you fail to realize that this is a silly message board that discusses a silly sport. It's mostly opinion with very little fact. Your post is proof of that.

But I keep forgetting this is the free board. That explains the ignorance.

Reactions: President Stache

Carr's stats were very similar to Knight's as a FR. Fields...

Carr's stats were just as good as Graves', Benjamin's as JR/SRs....

Oh well, good luck to him. Your point stands, but many on here will never get it. Let's hope it's a while before Pitt is ever in that situation again - to be so dependent on freshman.

Reactions: gary2

He was not a top 100 recruit. Did anyone say they didn't expect him to be a contributor on a lower-tier B1G program? I'd certainly expect him to be able to be a contributor on a lower-tier B1G program as soon as he is eligible.

Well, since you quoted my post, I'm not sure what you're saying; "root against..." ?? Criticizing a players floor game doesn't mean that you can't
root for them as well. I stated that "I wish them both good luck and hope they do well in their college careers."
Wasn’t talking about you , but there are others ....

Reactions: Chescat
It was a tongue in cheek comparison and yeah I agree Carr isn’t a PG but rather a tiny combo G. Best wishes to the kid but it sounds like he received some poor advice :(
Maybe he’s telling us that he expects JC to bring in superior talent !

Reactions: BigZeke
He was not a top 100 recruit. Did anyone say they didn't expect him to be a contributor on a lower-tier B1G program? I'd certainly expect him to be able to be a contributor on a lower-tier B1G program as soon as he is eligible.
Would you have preferred that I said he was a top 101 recruit?

I don't understand why people have to call others names while making up stuff. But if that's your MO, go knock yourself out. But you fail to realize that this is a silly message board that discusses a silly sport. It's mostly opinion with very little fact. Your post is proof of that.

But I keep forgetting this is the free board. That explains the ignorance.
one of the best coaches and recruiters in the country.

Did I misunderstand something in this statement you posted about Capel?

I think Carr will be a pretty good combo guard and feel no need to say "good riddance" type crap. But Capel is also recruiting some very good guards and I expect more -- so I am in for the long haul/not worried.

Reactions: FireballZ

Nope. It's pretty simple. He is one of the best coaches and recruiters in the country and has proven it. What don't you understand?

Carr was a good player and top 200. He has potential with the right coach and if he can improve. But he wasn't a top 100 player.

Nope. It's pretty simple. He is one of the best coaches and recruiters in the country and has proven it. What don't you understand?
I don't think anyone with any ability to be even remotely objective would name Jeff Capel as one of the best college basketball coaches in the country based on his career to date. I'm pretty sure nobody who has spent the last 7 years as an assistant coach would make that list.

Would you have preferred that I said he was a top 101 recruit?

I'd probably prefer using a composite rating, but the rest of the post was a complete straw man. This thread is filled with posters saying exactly what your conclusion was about Carr. He should be a contributor on a lower tier P6 team.

I dont know how that can be argued. he coached at Duke, which is one of the top programs in the country, and recruited the top players... soooooo... he could certainly be called one of the top in both regards. It is completely subjective... but you could put some objectivity into it when saying what wrote above.

I dont know how that can be argued. he coached at Duke, which is one of the top programs in the country, and recruited the top players... soooooo... he could certainly be called one of the top in both regards. It is completely subjective... but you could put some objectivity into it when saying what wrote above.
There's nothing subjective about wins and losses.

One of the best assistant coaches in the country? One of the best recruiters? The right guy at the right moment for Pitt basketball? No disagreement.

Based on career achievement, one of the best college basketball coaches in the country? No way.

The good news is, he has a ton of HC mileage on his tires for a young guy, and has plenty of years ahead of him. He has a lot to prove as his last HC gig did not end well. Hopefully he has learned from his past experiences and refined himself as a coach.

Lastly, the poster who made that statement probably had no idea who Capel even was until he googled him after Capel was announced as Pitt coach. Now, Capel is "one of the best coaches in the country".

Gotta love the Lair.

There's nothing subjective about wins and losses.

One of the best assistant coaches in the country? One of the best recruiters? The right guy at the right moment for Pitt basketball? No disagreement.

Based on career achievement, one of the best college basketball coaches in the country? No way.

The good news is, he has a ton of HC mileage on his tires for a young guy, and has plenty of years ahead of him. He has a lot to prove as his last HC gig did not end well. Hopefully he has learned from his past experiences and refined himself as a coach.

Lastly, the poster who made that statement probably had no idea who Capel even was until he googled him after Capel was announced as Pitt coach. Now, Capel is "one of the best coaches in the country".

Gotta love the Lair.
He’s probably the best coach in the country Pitt could’ve attracted !

Reactions: BFo8
I love how my post that was stating a fact gets deleted, but badby's posts with inaccuracies and false statements about what I said don't get deleted. Gotta love the Lair. But I proved him wrong and the discussion is over.

ADVERTISEMENT