ADVERTISEMENT

CBS Sports, Ranking College Football's 2015 Coaching Hires, One Year Later, PITT Top 5 LINK!

CaptainSidneyReilly

Chancellor
Dec 25, 2006
Good and fair assessment PITT Coach Pat Narduzzi Top Five and listen to the Video, they talk big things for Pat Narduzzi and PITT.
Article Excerpt & LInk:
4. Pat Narduzzi, Pittsburgh (7) --8-5, Military Bowl loss vs. Navy:
Breakdown
: Establishing an identity for your program can be a difficult task for a first-time, first-year coach. But Narduzzi has everyone in on the plan at Pitt and nothing showcases that more than how the Panthers responded to adversity this season. When reigning ACC Player of the Year James Conner went down for the year with an injury, freshman Qadree Ollison stepped in to become just the fifth freshman in program history to run for 1,000 yards, earning ACC Offensive Freshman of the Year honors. Narduzzi also found his next secondary star in the backfield with safety Jordan Whitehead winning ACC Freshman of the Year, along with ACC Defensive Freshman of the Year.

5. Paul Chryst, Wisconsin (10) -- 10-3, Holiday Bowl win vs. USC:
Breakdown
: The Badgers had one of the best defensive units in the country a season ago (No. 1 in scoring defense, No. 8 in S&P+ Defense), so Chryst, a former Wisconsin offensive coordinator, at least gets credit for retaining Dave Aranda as defensive coordinator upon his arrival. Chryst was able to maintain the expected level of success in Madison with a 10-win season on a manageable schedule, but now Aranda is gone and the real test for the Madison native begins.

LINK:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-footballs-2015-coaching-hires-one-year-later

Good and fair assessment PITT Coach Pat Narduzzi Top Five and listen to the Video, they talk big things for Pat Narduzzi and PITT.
Article Excerpt & LInk:
4. Pat Narduzzi, Pittsburgh (7) --8-5, Military Bowl loss vs. Navy:

Breakdown: Establishing an identity for your program can be a difficult task for a first-time, first-year coach. But Narduzzi has everyone in on the plan at Pitt and nothing showcases that more than how the Panthers responded to adversity this season. When reigning ACC Player of the Year James Conner went down for the year with an injury, freshman Qadree Ollison stepped in to become just the fifth freshman in program history to run for 1,000 yards, earning ACC Offensive Freshman of the Year honors. Narduzzi also found his next secondary star in the backfield with safety Jordan Whitehead winning ACC Freshman of the Year, along with ACC Defensive Freshman of the Year.

5. Paul Chryst, Wisconsin (10) -- 10-3, Holiday Bowl win vs. USC:
Breakdown: The Badgers had one of the best defensive units in the country a season ago (No. 1 in scoring defense, No. 8 in S&P+ Defense), so Chryst, a former Wisconsin offensive coordinator, at least gets credit for retaining Dave Aranda as defensive coordinator upon his arrival. Chryst was able to maintain the expected level of success in Madison with a 10-win season on a manageable schedule, but now Aranda is gone and the real test for the Madison native begins.

LINK:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-footballs-2015-coaching-hires-one-year-later

This is going to make some Pitt fans heads explode.

Narduzzi at #4 will make us all proud.

following that up with Paul Chryst at #5 will cause much turmoil and confusion in the heads of the Chryst haters.

"wbrpanther, post: 1065600, member: 206"]This is going to make some Pitt fans heads explode. Narduzzi at #4 will make us all proud.
Pitt Fans should explode in joy having such a high ranking right with 3 Great Coaches at Houston, Michigan. and Florida! The Video pointed out and promoted Pitt's Narduzzi far nicer as well when describing what coach they really are impressed with out of the Top New Hires?

following that up with Paul Chryst at #5 will cause much turmoil and confusion in the heads of the Chryst haters.
Pitt Fans can take solace that Paul Chryst was also chosen meaning he did set the foundation that helped Coach Pat win. While the CBS Ratings points out how Chryst biggest challenge is now replacing his great DC that left Wisconsin. They pretty much say, Chryst did a great job in his first year at Wisky but now has to prove he can continue it without his Great DC?

Narduzzi being ahead of Chryst also is an indication Pitt made the right call in choosing Coach Pat just based on all the Breakdown Descriptions. What I read on the Lair, some appreciate what Chryst did, but are far more pleased with Narduzzi and few to none want Chryst back?

This is may not be an explosion but a High Consensus that Pitt Narduzzi is doing things at Pitt that Chryst missed, and one major reason may be that Narduzzi wanted to come to Pitt, while Chryst always wanted to be at Wisconsin.

Pitt and Wisconsin should be happy and both fan bases, as I see it, but others can disagree.

At the same time here is a Link on what many thought of Paul Chryst Hire in2012 and Paul went 19-19, for those that enjoyed Chryst tenure at Pitt:
Ranking College Football's Best and Worst Coaching Hires for 2012:

5. Paul Chryst, Pittsburgh
Previous Job:
Offensive coordinator, Wisconsin
Pros: Chryst has been one of the top offensive coordinators in college football over the past nine seasons, two at Oregon State and the past seven at Wisconsin. The Badgers have led the Big Ten in scoring offense in each of the past three years.
Cons: Chryst has never been a head coach on any level.
Final Analysis: It’s been a tumultuous time at Pittsburgh, which fired an alum (Dave Wannstedt) and hired three head coaches (Mike Haywood, Todd Graham and Chryst) in a 13-month period. In the end, however, things have worked out for the Panthers. The highly respected Chryst appears to be an ideal fit. His offenses have been built around power running attacks and efficient quarterback play — a recipe that should work well at Pittsburgh.
LINK:
http://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-college-footballs-best-and-worst-hires-2012

As Opposed to Pat Narduzzi Early Pre-season Hiring Evaluation in 2015:
7. Pat Narduzzi, Pittsburgh: It's OK to be thrilled for Nards and sorry for the Panthers at the same time. Narduzzi is Pittsburgh's eighth coach since 2010.
The last turnover -- Paul Chryst to Wisconsin -- cost AD Steve Pederson his job. On his watch Dave Wannstedt resigned, Michael Haywood lasted 16 days (before a domestic assault charge), Todd Graham lasted a year. Chryst lasted three.
The fact that Narduzzi -- the former Michigan State defensive coordinator -- chose Pittsburgh for his first head coaching adventure says a lot about both parties. The Panthers will win in a winnable ACC with an angry defense and physical offense.
Try to envision Steeltown Spartans.

LINK:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-hires-michigan-scores-but-what-about-florida

Last edited:

For me personally I didn't like or dislike PC and his staff. I was kinda like his staff with recruiting......indifferent. Doing a job at Wisky doesn't relate to what he did here good or bad. Let's see how the next 4 years go for both coaches. HCPN, the opposite of PC, is perfect for the Pitt job. I personally could care less if PC wins every game. I'm just happy HCPN is our coach and PC is not.

At the end the season you had no more confidence in PC's ability to win consistently as head coach. UW plays in the easiest division of the power 5 and loads up it's OOC with guaranteed wins. They beat bad teams and lost to good ones. As noted their defense carried the team.

Looking ahead, UW has a solid schedule this year even with a soft OOC slate (one real game). By mid-year I think you will see a team struggling to win consistently and likely the beginning of UW's slide back to lower levels of success. I'm guessing he tops out at 8-5 this year.

Disclosure- I was a Chryst supporter but recognize that he was likely to be fired had he stayed at Pitt. Good career move for him; he bought at least another 4 years at a head coach's pay rate.

For me personally I didn't like or dislike PC and his staff. I was kinda like his staff with recruiting......indifferent. Doing a job at Wisky doesn't relate to what he did here good or bad. Let's see how the next 4 years go for both coaches. HCPN, the opposite of PC, is perfect for the Pitt job. I personally could care less if PC wins every game. I'm just happy HCPN is our coach and PC is not.

"wbrpanther, post: 1065600, member: 206"]This is going to make some Pitt fans heads explode. Narduzzi at #4 will make us all proud.
Pitt Fans should explode in joy having such a high ranking right with 3 Great Coaches at Houston, Michigan. and Florida! The Video pointed out and promoted Pitt's Narduzzi far nicer as well when describing what coach they really are impressed with out of the Top New Hires?

Pitt Fans can take solace that Paul Chryst was also chosen meaning he did set the foundation that helped Coach Pat win. While the CBS Ratings points out how Chryst biggest challenge is now replacing his great DC that left Wisconsin. They pretty much say, Chryst did a great job in his first year at Wisky but now has to prove he can continue it without his Great DC?

Narduzzi being ahead of Chryst also is an indication Pitt made the right call in choosing Coach Pat just based on all the Breakdown Descriptions. What I read on the Lair, some appreciate what Chryst did, but are far more pleased with Narduzzi and few to none want Chryst back?

This is may not be an explosion but a High Consensus that Pitt Narduzzi is doing things at Pitt that Chryst missed, and one major reason may be that Narduzzi wanted to come to Pitt, while Chryst always wanted to be at Wisconsin.

Pitt and Wisconsin should be happy and both fan bases, as I see it, but others can disagree.

At the same time here is a Link on what many thought of Paul Chryst Hire in2012 and Paul went 19-19, for those that enjoyed Chryst tenure at Pitt:
Ranking College Football's Best and Worst Coaching Hires for 2012:

5. Paul Chryst, Pittsburgh
Previous Job:
Offensive coordinator, Wisconsin
Pros: Chryst has been one of the top offensive coordinators in college football over the past nine seasons, two at Oregon State and the past seven at Wisconsin. The Badgers have led the Big Ten in scoring offense in each of the past three years.
Cons: Chryst has never been a head coach on any level.
Final Analysis: It’s been a tumultuous time at Pittsburgh, which fired an alum (Dave Wannstedt) and hired three head coaches (Mike Haywood, Todd Graham and Chryst) in a 13-month period. In the end, however, things have worked out for the Panthers. The highly respected Chryst appears to be an ideal fit. His offenses have been built around power running attacks and efficient quarterback play — a recipe that should work well at Pittsburgh.
LINK:
http://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-college-footballs-best-and-worst-hires-2012

As Opposed to Pat Narduzzi Early Pre-season Hiring Evaluation in 2015:
7. Pat Narduzzi, Pittsburgh: It's OK to be thrilled for Nards and sorry for the Panthers at the same time. Narduzzi is Pittsburgh's eighth coach since 2010.

The last turnover -- Paul Chryst to Wisconsin -- cost AD Steve Pederson his job. On his watch Dave Wannstedt resigned, Michael Haywood lasted 16 days (before a domestic assault charge), Todd Graham lasted a year. Chryst lasted three.
The fact that Narduzzi -- the former Michigan State defensive coordinator -- chose Pittsburgh for his first head coaching adventure says a lot about both parties. The Panthers will win in a winnable ACC with an angry defense and physical offense.
Try to envision Steeltown Spartans.
LINK:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-hires-michigan-scores-but-what-about-florida
A Win/Win for both Programs.

A Win/Win for both Programs.
It has only been one year, but both did very good in 2015 at both Programs. Coming in at 4th for Pat Narduzzi and Paul Chryst at 5th pretty much makes your WIN/WIN very accurate.

Both have more to do, Chryst took over a solid stable program due to Barry Alvarez with a Great DC that has left and does not mind Alvarez lecturing and still having his fingers in the Team and Program. Wisky at 36th in recurting and one knows Chryst can coach up his Players on Offense. Alvarez will find a good DC and makes sure Special Team details are taken care of as Chryst runs the Offense. As well as, Chryst loves being back at his Alma Mater since it is his personal professional dream, but he needs Alvarez.

Coach Pat has to continue to build up the Pitt Program with A.D. Barnes and Chancellor Gallagher and lost their OC but he is a Game Day and Half Time Adjustment Sideline Coach. Pitt at 30th in recruiting and will need some time to improve speed and condition the bigger size talent they did recruit. One can see Coach Pat can oversee the coaching up all 3 Units Defense, Special teams and Offense.Coach Pat always wanted the Pitt Head Coaching job as his own personal professional goal.

Bigger challenges awaits Chryst in the 2016 schedule to show he can beat LSU, Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa, Nebraska, and Northwestern, and that is a very tough for his second year with a new DC for Badgers? But Akron, Georgia State, Purdue and New Coaches at Illinois and Minnesota those 5 Teams should be easier for him.

As Coach Pat & Staff takes on Clemson, UNC, Oklahoma State and Penn State, with New Coaches at Miami, UVA, Cuse and VT, and Very Good Coaches at Marshall, GT, and Duke. But only has Villanova as an easy win?

Still, like you say, both did win in 2015 in their first years at each Program.

Last edited:
Wisky lost to Bama and Iowa at home. Those two losses kept them from the Big Ten championship and even beating MSU, they didn't have the schedule to make the NC final four. Now the schedule is not as easy. Narduzzi is light years ahead of him. No comparison.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly

Honestly, I dont know many Chryst haters. I just think we all can agree he wasnt the HEAD coach that Narduzzi is. He's the Ben Carson of coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT