ADVERTISEMENT

CBSSports Mt. Rushmore

Pretty cool to see us at the top. Personally I would’ve put Revis above Dorsett (NFL career only), but can’t go wrong with either.

Out of curiosity, what would WVU's be? Feels like it would be pretty sad unless I'm forgetting about some people. Like, Marc Bulger might be on it, no? Pacman Jones?

dinamit-bomm.gif

BOOM!
GOES THE DYNAMITE!

Out of curiosity, what would WVU's be? Feels like it would be pretty sad unless I'm forgetting about some people. Like, Marc Bulger might be on it, no? Pacman Jones?
I think it starts with Sam Huff and Chuck Howley as both are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. After that…Pacman and Bulger are probably up there. Maybe Darryl Talley?

As it should be. That's a hell of a Mt Rushmore. Beat out some great programs.

Based on NFL success only. On that basis he's well down the list from the top 4.
Guess Fralic not on for same reason. A great OL on a bad team makes it difficult to stand out. He was All -Pro several times and on the NFL all decade team for the 1980s.

That's so hilarious, it is like running a needle over the record to alot of folks.

But it also begs to people who say "how can Pitt produce so many great players and be so mediocre?"

Which we also have to own.

Does Ruben Brown ever make the Hall of Fame? Most Pro Bowls of players not in the Hall of Fame (of eligible players).

Ranking the Pitt players by Pro Football Reference's Hall of Fame Monitor.

Aaron Donald - 181.68 (#1 DT, and I believe the #11 overall)
Larry Fitzgerald - 141.09 (#4 WR)
Dan Marino - 117.02 (#9 QB)
Darelle Revis - 111.73 (#8 DB)
Chris Doleman - 87.63 (#13 DE)
Russ Grimm - 83.50 (#13 G)
Curtis Martin - 80.21 (#21 RB, below McCoy at #20)
Tony Dorsett - 77.90
Rickey Jackson - 76.18 (#14 OLB)
Mike Ditka - 62.59 (#13 TE)
Jimbo Covert - 63.73 (#27 OT)
Joe Schmidt - I could not find his listing.

Does Ruben Brown ever make the Hall of Fame? Most Pro Bowls of players not in the Hall of Fame (of eligible players).

I don't really get how you could make 9 pro bowls and not be in. Of course, that's skewed now because anybody can make the pro bowl after the first 24 choices turn it down.

Fitzgerald and Donald are automatics. He (Brown), Fralic, and Shady McCoy are Pitt's tweeners (Fralic might even be out of eligibility the traditional way). Could be a long wait after that, unless Paris Ford has an a ha moment and gets that 40 time down under ten minutes.

I don't really get how you could make 9 pro bowls and not be in. Of course, that's skewed now because anybody can make the pro bowl after the first 24 choices turn it down.

Fitzgerald and Donald are automatics. He (Brown), Fralic, and Shady McCoy are Pitt's tweeners (Fralic might even be out of eligibility the traditional way). Could be a long wait after that, unless Paris Ford has an a ha moment and gets that 40 time down under ten minutes.
If they ever put another punter in the HOF it’ll be Andy Lee.

Ranking the Pitt players by Pro Football Reference's Hall of Fame Monitor.

Aaron Donald - 181.68 (#1 DT, and I believe the #11 overall)
Larry Fitzgerald - 141.09 (#4 WR)
Dan Marino - 117.02 (#9 QB)
Darelle Revis - 111.73 (#8 DB)
Chris Doleman - 87.63 (#13 DE)
Russ Grimm - 83.50 (#13 G)
Curtis Martin - 80.21 (#21 RB, below McCoy at #20)
Tony Dorsett - 77.90
Rickey Jackson - 76.18 (#14 OLB)
Mike Ditka - 62.59 (#13 TE)
Jimbo Covert - 63.73 (#27 OT)
Joe Schmidt - I could not find his listing.
Reuben should have been in years ago.

Brown was a guard and for some reason they don't get as much respect as a tackle. He's not on an all-decade team either which would help him as well. But I still think he gets in some day.

If you are on the NFL all decade team, it gives you a big jump for consideration. It's not automatic, but I'd say at least 70% get in. Here are some notable Pitt players who are on the all decade teams not in the HOF:

Mark Stepnoski (1990's)
Bill Fralic (1980's)
Lesean McCoy (2010's)
Larry Fitzgerald (2010's)
Aaron Donald (2010's)

Reactions: OH Pete
Brown was a guard and for some reason they don't get as much respect as a tackle. He's not on an all-decade team either which would help him as well. But I still think he gets in some day.

If you are on the NFL all decade team, it gives you a big jump for consideration. It's not automatic, but I'd say at least 70% get in. Here are some notable Pitt players who are on the all decade teams not in the HOF:

Mark Stepnoski (1990's)
Bill Fralic (1980's)
Lesean McCoy (2010's)
Larry Fitzgerald (2010's)
Aaron Donald (2010's)

I feel like Mark Stepnoski is a victim of being overshadowed by the other Cryboy greats from that era.

If Addison would have a hof career he would be listed with Pitt since that is where he had his most impactful college stats.

i'll get killed for saying this but Miami's is best..

Ray lewis, Irvin, Reed and Sapp

Here's a trivia question thats been floated

Only 2 college teams had 4 NFL hall of famers in one year on the same team

Im guessing most here can figure it out

Pitt 1980 with Marino, Grimm, Jackson and Covert

And USC 1979 with Ronnie Lott, Anthony Munoz, Bruce Matthews and Marcus Allen

Considering Ray Lewis is on the list you would have stood a better chance of being killed if you had not responded as such .... No matter how incorrect you are...
and USC at #2 had OJ on it too. if "character" was factored in, it's not even close.

i may take my original post back.

Fitz is better than Irvin
AD is way better than Sapp

i think Ed Reed is a better pro than Dorsett though, i mean Ed Reed is a top 2-3 safety of all time. tough to compare ray lewis to Dan the man.

Last edited:
and USC at #2 had OJ on it too. if "character" was factored in, it's not even close.

i may take my original post back.

Fitz is better than Irvin
AD is way better than Sapp

i think Ed Reed is a better pro than Dorsett though, i mean Ed Reed is a top 2-3 safety of all time. tough to compare ray lewis to Dan the man.
Ray Lewis is the best MLB ever and Ed Reed is one of the best free safeties ever, but Sapp and Irvin are pretty weak by Mount Rushmore standards.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT