ADVERTISEMENT

Charles Reeves TE dismissed from team today

That hurts. One of our top recruits in that class and a guy with real upside at a thin position.

Agree, it hurts and is disappointing because he was thought to be a top recruit, but his real upside at present appears to be limited by his unwillingness to work hard and follow the rules ..... maybe he isn't happy at Pitt ..... in any event, probably best at this point in time for both the player and Pitt, that he has to go elsewhere.

How many Nitter players have been dismissed to date?
How many Clemson players have been dismissed to date?
How many Ohio State players have been dismissed to date?

We seem to fall short or finish high in this category? It depends how you look at things.

Player dismissals were one reason we got off to a slow start last season.

I support a uniform code of conduct with consistent penalties across college football and basketball.

Murder in the First Degree - dismissal
Manslaughter - 3 games
Involuntary manslaugher - 2 games
Automobile police chase - 1 game
Automobile police chase showing the player arrested with no shirt on - spot on the show Cops
etc.
DUI - miss the pre game warm-up for the fist regular season game

The point is there should be a standard rulebook for all of college football!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
Yes Potentially as we will never know how he would have turned out. But he did have the physical tools. Big, strong, could run well etc. Thought he could have been our best downfield threat at TE or even a potential OT. But we will never know.

Hopefully Gragg can step in and live up to his potential.
Is Pitt playing by the ACC rulebook or its own? We will never know his transgression but is the Pitt administration once again putting us on some moral highroad that is not consistent with the standards our fellow conference members abide by? If so, it's just plan shoot-yourself-in-the-foot stupid.

We seem to fall short or finish high in this category? It depends how you look at things.

I support a uniform code of conduct with consistent penalties across college football and basketball.

Manslaughter - 3 games
Automobile police chase showing the player arrested with no shirt on - spot on the show Cops
etc.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Kam Carter.

Agree, it hurts and is disappointing because he was thought to be a top recruit, but his real upside at present appears to be limited by his unwillingness to work hard and follow the rules ..... maybe he isn't happy at Pitt ..... in any event, probably best at this point in time for both the player and Pitt, that he has to go elsewhere.
I’m not saying he shouldn’t have been booted, I’m sure he earned it and I trust Narduzzi who works with the kid every day and whose job depends on winning. But as 88 said we aren’t a strong enough program that recruits well enough to constantly be losing some of the top rated kids in our classes. Somehow it rarely seems to be the less consequential players this happens to at Pitt. If you add up the list of players that have been unable to get onto the field for whatever reason-discipline, health, grades, or whatever ails a Chris Clark— during Narduzzi’s tenure, it ain’t pretty. If we had classes stacked with 4 stars and high 3s, OK, so what. But we don’t-.we need all the talent and capable depth we can get.

Reeves looked like a beast. I’m sure most people would agree this was a player we were all excited about, and he was just getting started here. This hurts.

Reactions: PittFanDan17
I’m not saying he shouldn’t have been booted, I’m sure he earned it and I trust Narduzzi who works with the kid every day and whose job depends on winning. But as 88 said we aren’t a strong enough program that recruits well enough to constantly be losing some of the top rated kids in our classes. Somehow it rarely seems to be the less consequential players this happens to at Pitt. If you add up the list of players that have been unable to get onto the field for whatever reason-discipline, health, grades, or whatever ails a Chris Clark— during Narduzzi’s tenure, it ain’t pretty. If we had classes stacked with 4 stars and high 3s, OK, so what. But we don’t-.we need all the talent and capable depth we can get.

Reeves looked like a beast. I’m sure most people would agree this was a player we were all excited about, and he was just getting started here. This hurts.

I am not disagreeing, because it does hurt and is disappointing that a perceived top recruit didn't pan out and I certainly was not implying that you thought he shouldn't have been dismissed....... he may flourish elsewhere, however, what I'm saying and my main point is that in his time at Pitt, he did not turn out to be the top recruit we expected and mostly because of his poor work ethic and his inability to follow the rules .... and that is on the player not the coaches.

Manslaughter - 3 games
etc.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!
Parrot head,the carnival barker dismissed his starting outside linebacker Manny Bowen and back up widereceiver Irvin Charles before last year's Fiesta Bowl and both are gone for 2018.So I don't think player dismissals are a Pitt only problem!

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Parrot head,the carnival barker dismissed his starting outside linebacker Manny Bowen and back up widereceiver Irvin Charles before last year's Fiesta Bowl and both are gone for 2018.So I don't think player dismissals are a Pitt only problem!
Thanks that's good news!
I'd like to see them and other teams lose some recruits for similar reasons so it doesn't look like we're leading the nation in this category.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

I am not disagreeing, because it does hurt and is disappointing that a perceived top recruit didn't pan out and I certainly was not implying that you thought he shouldn't have been dismissed....... he may flourish elsewhere, however, what I'm saying and my main point is that in his time at Pitt, he did not turn out to be the top recruit we expected and mostly because of his poor work ethic and his inability to follow the rules .... and that is on the player not the coaches.
Not to nitpick, but we don’t know why he was diamissed. His work ethic and practice performance may have had nothing to do with it. I have never seen or heard anything to that effect. It could have been one act of stupidity bad enough enough that the coaches really had no choice. Or it could have been several off the field rules violations that cumulatively caused the coaches to boot him. Or maybe he wasnt working hard, was late for meetings, etc. Point is we don’t know. He was only a RS freshman and was in line for plenty of reps his year. Salem and Dooz were both high on him in the spring and Salem said he could’ve played last year if they’d needed him to. This was a kid who had an Alabama offer. We don’t get many of those. We really could have used him. He F’d up and now he’s another talented guy that will never play a live game rep at Pitt. It’s a bummer.

Thanks that's good news!
I'd like to see them and other teams lose some recruits for similar reasons so it doesn't look like we're leading the nation in this category.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!
Every major program loses its share of guys like this--the difference is the stronger programs recruit better, have better overall team talent and depth, and can take those inevitable personnel hits. There were three 4-star players in Pitt's class of 2017--now there are two. PSU had 11 4-star or better players in that 2017 class per Rivals. If they lose one, so what. If we lose one, it's a big hit.

As I said, since this kind of thing is going to happen every year, it would be nice if it would at least involve some less important prospects for a change. Seems it always hits the top layer at Pitt.

Is Pitt playing by the ACC rulebook or its own? We will never know his transgression but is the Pitt administration once again putting us on some moral highroad that is not consistent with the standards our fellow conference members abide by? If so, it's just plan shoot-yourself-in-the-foot stupid.
The bigger picture is that Narduzzi can't favor the better players when he hands out discipline. That poisons a team. Everyone has to be treated equally, from the walk-on third string placekick holder to the all-American QB. Quickest way for a coach to lose his team is depth chart justice. Nobody on this board knows what Reeves did, or whether it was a one time thing or a cumulative problem, but I'm sure it wasn't something minor.

The bigger picture is that Narduzzi can't favor the better players when he hands out discipline. That poisons a team. Everyone has to be treated equally, from the walk-on third string placekick holder to the all-American QB. Quickest way for a coach to lose his team is depth chart justice. Nobody on this board knows what Reeves did, or whether it was a one time thing or a cumulative problem, but I'm sure it wasn't something minor.
I get it !
I hope this is the end of this stuff.
Regardless of the fact that it happens to all programs the suspensions/dismissals were a big reason for our slow start last year.

PITT needs all hands on deck!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Not to nitpick, but we don’t know why he was diamissed. His work ethic and practice performance may have had nothing to do with it. I have never seen or heard anything to that effect. It could have been one act of stupidity bad enough enough that the coaches really had no choice. Or it could have been several off the field rules violations that cumulatively caused the coaches to boot him. Or maybe he wasnt working hard, was late for meetings, etc. Point is we don’t know. He was only a RS freshman and was in line for plenty of reps his year. Salem and Dooz were both high on him in the spring and Salem said he could’ve played last year if they’d needed him to. This was a kid who had an Alabama offer. We don’t get many of those. We really could have used him. He F’d up and now he’s another talented guy that will never play a live game rep at Pitt. It’s a bummer.

We probably never really will know the entire story but posters who knew his situation in high school and others close to the Pitt team, brought up work ethic issues ...... although poor work habits wouldn't usually get you dismissed, it would get you a seat on the end of the bench ...... as you stated, dismissal would have had to stem from a more serious issue or several repeated violations ...... again, that is on the player not the coaches IMO ..... but definitely agree that his dismissal is unfortunate and hurts the team ..... I was really looking forward to seeing him play this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: DiehardPanther
Disagree wholeheartedly with this, but Reeves certainly wouldn't benefit.

No. He won't be employed, if he doesn't win.

Whitehead was an automatic suspension, so it wasn't a choice.
But it still matters.

Don't try to be smart changing the point.

Those are actually people who play on the team. They have lives and futures. It matters quite a bit how they develop in university.

Enjoy your football.

moral high ground = just plan shoot-yourself-in-the-foot stupid. Words to live by.

That attitude a perfect encapsulation of everything that's wrong this country at the moment. That attitude is what leads to the truly horrifying behaviour that was accepted PedSt, MSU, tO$U, etc.

moral high ground = just plan shoot-yourself-in-the-foot stupid. Words to live by.

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
Reeves came from Steubenville High School. I'm not sure if many are familiar or not, but this is the same high school/program that tried to cover the tracks of its players and coaches during the rape investigation that caught national attention ~3-4 years ago. This is one of those high schools/areas where HS football is king and these kids are untouchable if they help win football games - a bubble so to speak.

More than likely, Reeves could do whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted, without much consequence in HS. We've learned quickly that Narduzzi isn't going to put up with much in regard to breaking team rules.

It sucks because we've had some trouble landing 4 star recruits, and the ones we have landed have either had issues with behavior or health.

If you have a superstar who has proven himself, then he usually gets disciplined differently than a walk-on. The severity of the incident and whether he is a repeat offender come into play as well.

Jimmy Johnson said if his superstars were sleeping in a meeting, then he would ask them if they need a pillow. If a backup or free agent did it, then he would cut them on the spot.

Thanks that's good news!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!
Every team has this problem man. Bama, Pitt, USC, "group of 5" teams. It happens everywhere.

But it still matters.

Don't try to be smart changing the point.

Those are actually people who play on the team. They have lives and futures. It matters quite a bit how they develop in university.

Enjoy your football.
I am not being smart. It doesn't matter, if he ultimately doesn't hold the job anymore because he can't win. That is by far the most important aspect of his job as Pitt HC. This isn't intramurals. It is a multi million dollar business and marketing campaign for Pitt.

DW got run out of town because it didn't matter to him and he won more than most here
No, Wannstedt got run out of town because he was allergic to winning, despite the easiest competition Pitt had ever faced.

I am not being smart. It doesn't matter, if he ultimately doesn't hold the job anymore because he can't win. That is by far the most important aspect of his job as Pitt HC. This isn't intramurals. It is a multi million dollar business and marketing campaign for Pitt.

No, Wannstedt got run out of town because he was allergic to winning, despite the easiest competition Pitt had ever faced.
But it does matter.

But it does matter.
It truly doesn't. If he doesn't win, he will be fired. It doesn't matter that "Pat is laying down the law. He wants smart ,disciplined kids in his program." if he is losing games. He is expected to run a program that does not embarrass the school with discipline and behavior issues, but if he has a team of upstanding citizens who lose, he will be axed so fast he gets whiplash.

Ask yourself what is grounds for dismissal from a program?

Work ethic?
Pot?
Dui?
Skipping class?

None of the above?

Committing a crime against a teammate (think theft) gets you gone.......

Manslaughter - 3 games
etc.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Dude got fired coming off a 9-4, 10-3 seasons and then 7-5 (which he went 5-2 in conf to "tie" for 1st). My point clearly stands.

It truly doesn't. If he doesn't win, he will be fired. It doesn't matter that "Pat is laying down the law. He wants smart ,disciplined kids in his program." if he is losing games. He is expected to run a program that does not embarrass the school with discipline and behavior issues, but if he has a team of upstanding citizens who lose, he will be axed so fast he gets whiplash.

That's just not true. DW again proves that theory wrong. He came off a 10 win season, Pitt's first in how many years, followed it up with a 9 win season and got "fired" because he had too many issues.

Dude got fired coming off a 9-4, 10-3 seasons and then 7-5 (which he went 5-2 in conf to "tie" for 1st). My point clearly stands.
That's just not true. DW again proves that theory wrong. He came off a 10 win season, Pitt's first in how many years, followed it up with a 9 win season and got "fired" because he had too many issues.
He had by far the most talented team in the league and never won it because he was an absolute loser of a coach. The guy is completely terrified of winning. He got fired because he choked away chances to win the BE for 2 years, had the most embarrassing bowl game I can remember, and then went 7-5 against a pathetic schedule. After all that, he refused to make any changes. He wasn't fired for anything beyond that. He was absolutely a guy you take a chance on as a HC, but he was a clear failure, who was never going to win anything.

BTW, you have the timing of things messed up. They went 9-4 with the atrocious Sun Bowl performance in 2008. Then went 10-3 (with the best win being against Rutgers, who was 3-4 in the awful BE and losing to both Cincy and WVU to close the season) in 2009. 2010 they went 7-5 (with only 1 win against a team better than .500) and he refused to change anything.

Yeah, there's no way losing to UConn (freaking UConn!!!!) or getting blown out by WVU at home factor in that decision.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Yeah, there's no way losing to UConn (freaking UConn!!!!) or getting blown out by WVU at home factor in that decision.
So I guess winning 9, then 10 games - something Pitt hadn't done in near 30 years and hasn't done since isn't considered winning to you guys? Jesus H Christ.

He had by far the most talented team in the league and never won it because he was an absolute loser of a coach. The guy is completely terrified of winning. He got fired because he choked away chances to win the BE for 2 years, had the most embarrassing bowl game I can remember, and then went 7-5 against a pathetic schedule. After all that, he refused to make any changes. He wasn't fired for anything beyond that. He was absolutely a guy you take a chance on as a HC, but he was a clear failure, who was never going to win anything.

BTW, you have the timing of things messed up. They went 9-4 with the atrocious Sun Bowl performance in 2008. Then went 10-3 (with the best win being against Rutgers, who was 3-4 in the awful BE and losing to both Cincy and WVU to close the season) in 2009. 2010 they went 7-5 (with only 1 win against a team better than .500) and he refused to change anything.
If you just won 9, 10 and then 7 games - at Pitt...keep that in mind too - would you let some admin, know nothing tell you how to run your program? I wouldn't. Now, if I didn't win 9 and then 10...was consistently winning 5 games or so, then you have to. The program was starting to tick up as evidenced by some of the classes he brought in and obviously winning 26 games in the last 3 years

So I guess winning 9, then 10 games - something Pitt hadn't done in near 30 years and hasn't done since isn't considered winning to you guys? Jesus H Christ.

Are you always that dramatic?

The guy underperformed by every measure imaginable.

2008 Loses to Bowling Green, Rutgers and Cincy. But yes, 9 wins.
2009 Loses to NC State (5-7) and then blows the last two regular season games including that beautiful disaster against Cincy. But yes, 10 wins.
2010 Loses to UConn (freaking UConn!!!!) and gets blown out by WVU

All three of those seasons should have been conference titles (in a very terrible conference) and BCS births. Never less than two losses in the conference every freaking year. So yeah, that looks like the top of the mountain today but you can't get away with that garbage in a good conference and I doubt any of us would be pleased if it plays out like that again.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Are you always that dramatic?

The guy underperformed by every measure imaginable.

2008 Loses to Bowling Green, Rutgers and Cincy. But yes, 9 wins.
2009 Loses to NC State (5-7) and then blows the last two regular season games including that beautiful disaster against Cincy. But yes, 10 wins.
2010 Loses to UConn (freaking UConn!!!!) and gets blown out by WVU

All three of those seasons should have been conference titles (in a very terrible conference) and BCS births. Never less than two losses in the conference every freaking year. So yeah, that looks like the top of the mountain today but you can't get away with that garbage in a good conference and I doubt any of us would be pleased if it plays out like that again.
The F are you talking about, dramatic? You forget what program we're talking about? Pitt. Where the norm is 6 wins and you put out an avg of 9 over a 3 year stretch, you're over achieving. When's the last time it happened? Remove any like or hatred of the person here for a second and remember the facts. You can point out the bad losses, I can point out some great wins.

If you just won 9, 10 and then 7 games - at Pitt...keep that in mind too - would you let some admin, know nothing tell you how to run your program? I wouldn't. Now, if I didn't win 9 and then 10...was consistently winning 5 games or so, then you have to. The program was starting to tick up as evidenced by some of the classes he brought in and obviously winning 26 games in the last 3 years
It wasn't "upticking" because there was nowhere to uptick. Dave Wannstedt is a loser HC. He is absolutely terrified of winning. Our competition was TERRIBLE. He wasn't beating ANY good teams and he STILL couldn't win the BE.

The ACC equivalent of what DW did (in years 4-6, after being crap the first 3 years) in the BE would be 7-6, 8-5, and 5-7.

ADVERTISEMENT