ADVERTISEMENT

Charles Reeves TE dismissed from team today

It wasn't "upticking" because there was nowhere to uptick. Dave Wannstedt is a loser HC. He is absolutely terrified of winning. Our competition was TERRIBLE. He wasn't beating ANY good teams and he STILL couldn't win the BE.

The ACC equivalent of what DW did (in years 4-6, after being crap the first 3 years) in the BE would be 7-6, 8-5, and 5-7.
I agree about DW being a loser coach, but the 3 year stretch at Pitt he had (and no, you can't compare ACC equivalent...it's not apples to apples) didn't deserve to be fired. That was the original point. you don't go 9, 10 and 7 and get fired unless there is something else going on. That something else was obvious.

And yes, he did beat good teams. You're a smart dude, but that comment was dumb. Without doing any research I can think of the 2 big wins over WVU, beating #10 USF, the OT win over ND, etc. Sure, some of the bad losses sting more than those victories, but of course he beat some good teams along the way.

The F are you talking about, dramatic? You forget what program we're talking about? Pitt. Where the norm is 6 wins and you put out an avg of 9 over a 3 year stretch, you're over achieving. When's the last time it happened? Remove any like or hatred of the person here for a second and remember the facts. You can point out the bad losses, I can point out some great wins.
I think Dave Wannstedt is a great guy, but he is a loser as a HC. Time and time again.

What are the great wins? 13-9 to cap off our 5-7 season? Beating a USF team in 2008 who finished 6th in the BE? His best win was probably beating an 8-4 WVU team in 2008, who lost to ECU and a 5-7 Colorado team. He also beat 9-4 Rutgers in 2009. Is that one you want to hang your hat on? They got 6 of their wins via Howard, FIU, 2-10 Maryland, Texas Southern, Army, and UCF. They also got shellacked by a 4-8 Syracuse team.

Looking like Charles could land at Kent State or Youngstown State, with YSU being the more likely option...

I agree about DW being a loser coach, but the 3 year stretch at Pitt he had (and no, you can't compare ACC equivalent...it's not apples to apples) didn't deserve to be fired. That was the original point. you don't go 9, 10 and 7 and get fired unless there is something else going on. That something else was obvious.

And yes, he did beat good teams. You're a smart dude, but that comment was dumb. Without doing any research I can think of the 2 big wins over WVU, beating #10 USF, the OT win over ND, etc. Sure, some of the bad losses sting more than those victories, but of course he beat some good teams along the way.
Yes, you can compare it. The competition was awful and couldn't beat it. That was what was going on.

I love that you include "#10 USF" which I figured you would respond with. That USF team was bad. They were 2-5 in an awful BE. Using an inflated ranking before they started conference play as some proof they were good is hilarious. That Notre Dame team went 6-6 with Navy being their only win over a team with a winning record. That wasn't a good team.

He beat 1 really good WVU team to end an absolutely terrible season 3 years before he got fired. 2008 WVU was an average team, who didn't beat anyone. Even if you give him that, too, it means he beat the same team back to back years and NEVER beat anyone else of note, while choking EVERY time he played for something.

The F are you talking about, dramatic? You forget what program we're talking about? Pitt. Where the norm is 6 wins and you put out an avg of 9 over a 3 year stretch, you're over achieving. When's the last time it happened? Remove any like or hatred of the person here for a second and remember the facts. You can point out the bad losses, I can point out some great wins.

You're making it sound like those 9 and 10 win seasons weren't regarded as disasters. They were. And "it happened" because Pitt played in the wasteland of the Big East. You could almost apply the same standard to Walt Harris and make the same point. At least Walt made into the top 25 with a 9 win team.

You're making it sound like those 9 and 10 win seasons weren't regarded as disasters. They were. And "it happened" because Pitt played in the wasteland of the Big East. You could almost apply the same standard to Walt Harris and make the same point. At least Walt made into the top 25 with a 9 win team.
I'll never ever regard a 9 or 10 win season as a disaster...and you called ME dramatic.

I'll never ever regard a 9 or 10 win season as a disaster...and you called ME dramatic.
But you literally were supporting your argument of "great wins" and beating "good teams" by referencing a USF team who went 2-5 in the BE and a 6-6 ND. You put "etc." in there, too, to insinuate there were plenty more examples, but you gave the USF and ND examples because that was the best of the rest and they are pathetic wins to hang his hat on.

Reactions: pittdan77
Yes, you can compare it. The competition was awful and couldn't beat it. That was what was going on.

I love that you include "#10 USF" which I figured you would respond with. That USF team was bad. They were 2-5 in an awful BE. Using an inflated ranking before they started conference play as some proof they were good is hilarious. That Notre Dame team went 6-6 with Navy being their only win over a team with a winning record. That wasn't a good team.

He beat 1 really good WVU team to end an absolutely terrible season 3 years before he got fired. 2008 WVU was an average team, who didn't beat anyone. Even if you give him that, too, it means he beat the same team back to back years and NEVER beat anyone else of note, while choking EVERY time he played for something.
We just have a difference of opinion on those wins. Not only do I think 13-9 was a great win, I think it was historic. I also happen to think any time you can beat the #10 team on national tv, it's a great win...no matter how good or bad that team is perceived or finishes, so yes - I'm going to use those and call them great wins.

This back and forth was never meant to go into a direction of, was DW a good coach or not. I feel like I got wrapped into that debate, which I didn't want to happen. None of my replies were meant as a defense of DW, it was a result of the original post...

Reactions: DiehardPanther
But you literally were supporting your argument of "great wins" and beating "good teams" by referencing a USF team who went 2-5 in the BE and a 6-6 ND. You put "etc." in there, too, to insinuate there were plenty more examples, but you gave the USF and ND examples because that was the best of the rest and they are pathetic wins to hang his hat on.
You're mixing arguments here I think - All I said was, to your quote here anyway - was that I'd never regard a 9 or 10 win season as a disaster.
I put etc in there and prefaced it by saying without doing any research, which means just off the top of my head...the etc was meant to prove I don't recall, but if I looked, there may be more. If I looked, I'm sure I'd find 1 or 2 good wins in his tenure

Well, if you win 9 games and finish outside the top 25, I'd bet the rest of the country doesn't think that much of you. That's not being dramatic.
Of course calling a 9 or 10 win season a disaster is dramatic, especially if you haven't won 10 in almost 30 years. Hell, dramatic isn't even a strong enough word.

We just have a difference of opinion on those wins. Not only do I think 13-9 was a great win, I think it was historic. I also happen to think any time you can beat the #10 team on national tv, it's a great win...no matter how good or bad that team is perceived or finishes, so yes - I'm going to use those and call them great wins.

This back and forth was never meant to go into a direction of, was DW a good coach or not. I feel like I got wrapped into that debate, which I didn't want to happen. None of my replies were meant as a defense of DW, it was a result of the original post...
I counted 13-9 as a great win. That was a really good WVU team. Beating a team that is artificially highly ranked, and ends up being a pretty bad team, is not a "great win". Beating a ND team that goes 6-6 (3-9 the year before and 6-6 the year after and never even perceived as a good team) who beat 1 team (and it was a service academy...) with a winning record is certainly not a "great win".

Maybe it is semantics, but I don't know how anyone could ever consider either of those "great wins" or those "good teams" by any definition. Those are games you should absolutely expect to win, every single time. Those were not good football teams. The reason you had to scrounge for those and couldn't think of any others wasn't because you hadn't done research, but because there weren't any others to remember.

Ummm, that's what I was talking about :confused:
Sorry Joe, I’m not following you here. While I agree that a 9/10 win season isn’t a disaster, far from it, you said “especially if you haven’t won 10 games in almost 30 years” when we won 10 in 2009. Just wanted you to clarify that.

Sorry Joe, I’m not following you here. While I agree that a 9/10 win season isn’t a disaster, far from it, you said “especially if you haven’t won 10 games in almost 30 years” when we won 10 in 2009. Just wanted you to clarify that.
He was saying that before 2009 it had been almost 30 years since Pitt won 10 games. Of course those 10 wins came in 13 games (not 11 or 12) and against terrible competition.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I counted 13-9 as a great win. That was a really good WVU team. Beating a team that is artificially highly ranked, and ends up being a pretty bad team, is not a "great win". Beating a ND team that goes 6-6 (3-9 the year before and 6-6 the year after and never even perceived as a good team) who beat 1 team (and it was a service academy...) with a winning record is certainly not a "great win".

Maybe it is semantics, but I don't know how anyone could ever consider either of those "great wins" or those "good teams" by any definition. Those are games you should absolutely expect to win, every single time. Those were not good football teams. The reason you had to scrounge atr ththose and couldn't think of any others wasn't because you hadn't done research, but because there weren't any others to remember.
Didn't USF come into that game undefeated and just beat #11 Kansas? When you beat that team, it matters bro - sorry. Yes, they finished 8 - 5, but wasn't that the year they lost a bunch of kids from injuries? So yes, again - all things considered, I'll take that as another great win.

He was saying that before 2009 it had been almost 30 years since Pitt won 10 games. Of course those 10 wins came in 13 games (not 11 or 12) and against terrible competition.
Ah, okay. Thanks. I wasn’t following the whole argument so I was a little confused.

How did we jump from Reeves leaving to this? lol

Yea bud - it was the end of other posts, but what I said was we won 10 in 2009 which hadn't been done for almost 30 years prior to that.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Didn't USF come into that game undefeated and just beat #11 Kansas? When you beat that team, it matters bro - sorry. Yes, they finished 8 - 5, but wasn't that the year they lost a bunch of kids from injuries? So yes, again - all things considered, I'll take that as another great win.
Yes, a KU team who went 7-5. They were also a bad team, but pumped by pre-season rankings, which pumped USF after their win. No, it was not a year USF lots a bunch of kids from injuries. It wasn't anything in the stratosphere as a "great win".

QUOTE="Jpripper88, post: 2361363, member: 2044"]Yes, a KU team who went 7-5. They were also a bad team, but pumped by pre-season rankings, which pumped USF after their win. No, it was not a year USF lots a bunch of kids from injuries. It wasn't anything in the stratosphere as a "great win".[/QUOTE]
I disagree completely and nothing you've provided changes my mind, just as I'm sure nothing I've provided changes your's...stalemate.

I think Dave Wannstedt is a great guy, but he is a loser as a HC. Time and time again.

What are the great wins? 13-9 to cap off our 5-7 season? Beating a USF team in 2008 who finished 6th in the BE? His best win was probably beating an 8-4 WVU team in 2008, who lost to ECU and a 5-7 Colorado team. He also beat 9-4 Rutgers in 2009. Is that one you want to hang your hat on? They got 6 of their wins via Howard, FIU, 2-10 Maryland, Texas Southern, Army, and UCF. They also got shellacked by a 4-8 Syracuse team.

Frankly, you can do that with PC, TG, and even Walt if you want. Narduzzi has the best wins over the last 30+ years.

Frankly, you can do that with PC, TG, and even Walt if you want. Narduzzi has the best wins over the last 30+ years.
Yeah, we have been a below average program. Narduzzi has some big wins/upsets, but he also (just like DW, but without the tenure) hasn't won anything of significance yet. I wasn't saying that big wins/upsets are more important than overall winning. DW didn't win, either. He won some (and not a lot) games and never won anything of significance. He also faced utter sh!t competition and choked at every turn. HCPN has a harder task, but he will still be expected to get the job done or get out of the way for the next guy to try.

I don't give a flying f*ck whether we beat Miami, if we are 5-7. That is a failure of a season. Even beating PSU and Clemson, but not the ACC is falling short. I would have easily traded those for ACC titles.

ADVERTISEMENT