ADVERTISEMENT

Christopher Carter Nailed It

Dec 20, 2019
I don't want to violate any rules so I won't link the article but he did a piece on Slow vis that was spot on. He had video cut ups to add context to his analysis. You can't have slow feet and slow processing.....we just picked the wrong transfer qb. Kenny Pickett replaced a bum from USC....maybe Yarnell will too.

I don't want to violate any rules so I won't link the article but he did a piece on Slow vis that was spot on. He had video cut ups to add context to his analysis. You can't have slow feet and slow processing.....we just picked the wrong transfer qb. Kenny Pickett replaced a bum from USC....maybe Yarnell will too.
I read it. As they say…the big eye don’t lie.

He looked ok when they went 3 and 4 wide in the first half and then later in the fourth quarter. He looked terrible when they lined up in the big formations. Still the worst Pitt offensive gameplan I've ever seen. Almost like they were trying to not win by the point spread.

Your take on that article is odd.

When Slovis came out wearing gloves the first thing I thought of was KP. The gloves SLovis wore were NOT the type that helped KP grip the ball. SLovis took off the right glove ( throwing hand) and had better accuracy.

Maybe Slovis needs to investigate the type of gloves that KP and Ben wear when it is wet out? I blame the play calling on his slower reads than we would have liked. You need short crossing routes and screens when the OL sucks as bad as ours does. Draws and QB sneaks also work!

Slovis didn't all of a sudden read his receivers better in the 4th quarter ..... the play calling changed and GT went to more a prevent!

The culprit for losing to GT was our play calling and our OL sucks!

• Haha
Reactions: LordoftheTides
That’s a good article. There are definitely some concerns. The thing I keep coming back to you is that we have seen a pretty good kedin Slovis. He was very good in the second half against West Virginia and then in the first half against Tennessee. He hasn’t been the same since he came back.

Reactions: Saboteur II
When Slovis came out wearing gloves the first thing I thought of was KP. The gloves SLovis wore were NOT the type that helped KP grip the ball. SLovis took off the right glove ( throwing hand) and had better accuracy.

Maybe Slovis needs to investigate the type of gloves that KP and Ben wear when it is wet out? I blame the play calling on his slower reads than we would have liked. You need short crossing routes and screens when the OL sucks as bad as ours does. Draws and QB sneaks also work!

Slovis didn't all of a sudden read his receivers better in the 4th quarter ..... the play calling changed and GT went to more a prevent!

The culprit for losing to GT was our play calling and our OL sucks!
I wasn’t in the stadium so I don’t know the answer. But I’m guessing GT had more guys around the line of scrimmage and we likely had 1v1 match ups with our WR’s. Maybe our receivers aren’t getting separation but Slovis must not be trusting them to make catches. He’s incredibly accurate IMO so he should be seeing those matchups and taking a few more chances.

That’s a good article. There are definitely some concerns. The thing I keep coming back to you is that we have seen a pretty good kedin Slovis. He was very good in the second half against West Virginia and then in the first half against Tennessee. He hasn’t been the same since he came back.
He's still getting hit a lot. Way too much. Some of that is on him holding the ball too long, some of it is on his pass pro, which has been dreadful.

I wouldn't put much stock in Chris Carter's take on anything. As Buddy Ryan once pointed out, all he does is catch touchdowns.

He's still getting hit a lot. Way too much. Some of that is on him holding the ball too long, some of it is on his pass pro, which has been dreadful.

The holding the ball thing- It's like watching someone learning a new language.

Cignetti might need to skinny down the number of plays and treat him like more of a freshman.

I think... we all think the slowness was a nice idea. But - not pointin' any fingers - they coulda been done better. So, how 'bout, no slowness this time - but next time, we do the right reads right, and then we go full regalia.

I wasn’t in the stadium so I don’t know the answer. But I’m guessing GT had more guys around the line of scrimmage and we likely had 1v1 match ups with our WR’s. Maybe our receivers aren’t getting separation but Slovis must not be trusting them to make catches. He’s incredibly accurate IMO so he should be seeing those matchups and taking a few more chances.

I said this in a different thread after the game, but we sit up higher and I almost always am looking at the secondary on pass plays to see what guys are running and who is getting open. There were a lot of plays on Saturday where he had four or even five guys out in a pattern and not one of them was actually open.

Of course there were also some other times when guys were open and he just couldn't pull the trigger fast enough. One of the touchdown passes was like that, but the receiver was still open when the ball finally got there.

On the last two drives, basically when there was no choice, Slovis started throwing some balls to guys who weren't really open. And a couple times guys made some really nice catches for him. Maybe that gets him to have some more faith in those guys. But it would be nice if in general the receivers were getting more separation and making his job a little easier.

Reactions: TD_6082
How? Your comment is odd. You contributed nothing to the conversation other than what you thought was a clever jab... It wasn't. You need booed worse than Pitt's offense on Saturday 🤡

His article wasn't calling him a "bum" like you did. It was more balanced of his abilities, performance and potential.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT