ADVERTISEMENT

Chryst went 8 MONTHS without a recruiting department. LMAO

Chryst will never be a P5 HC again. He is a terrible interviewer due to the fact that it seems difficult for him to string together sentences. I could see him being a good MAC coach or good OC
The info in this thread makes him sound like an incompetent buffoon. I wouldn’t hire him to be a head coach at any D1 level. Not saying he won’t get a MAC job, only takes 1, but buyer beware.

Chryst will never be a P5 HC again. He is a terrible interviewer due to the fact that it seems difficult for him to string together sentences. I could see him being a good MAC coach or good OC

I'm fairly surprised he wanted to be a HC in the first place. You have to know yourself. If you're a HC at Wisconsin, you have to interact with donors, alums, recruits, etc. Did Chryst ever show an interest in doing anything like that? Hell no.....what was he thinking? Should have stayed an OC.

I'm fairly surprised he wanted to be a HC in the first place. You have to know yourself. If you're a HC at Wisconsin, you have to interact with donors, alums, recruits, etc. Did Chryst ever show an interest in doing anything like that? Hell no.....what was he thinking? Should have stayed an OC.
Chryst reminds me of that kid C student in HS, played football (Offensive Line of course) but was no way a "jock" and was in no other activities, wore a flannel shirt all of the time and generally completely quiet and anonymous though a really nice guy.

Reactions: pittdan77
He probably enjoyed making 6 times or so the money that he would have made as OC.

Some will say he wouldn’t be that crass, but he was definitely crass enough to take the money at Pitt without delivering much effort.

Chryst reminds me of that kid C student in HS, played football (Offensive Line of course) but was no way a "jock" and was in no other activities, wore a flannel shirt all of the time and generally completely quiet and anonymous though a really nice guy.
It would not surprise me one bit to learn that about 20% (or more) of the posters on this site would have loved to have met that description in HS.

Reactions: pittdan77

I have sat and talked with Chryst (and Rudolph) through a mutual friend. Both come across as nice and normal people. Maybe a little too midwest for their own good.

Serious question ... if Alvarez didn't vouch and push for Chryst to get the Pitt job, does he ever become a head coach? I'm not so sure he would have. I don't think Wisconsin would have hired him for the head job without the Pitt head coaching experience, and given that Alvarez is from Western PA, I'm not sure Barry would have had enough influence anywhere else to get him a head coaching position.

Serious question ... if Alvarez didn't vouch and push for Chryst to get the Pitt job, does he ever become a head coach? I'm not so sure he would have. I don't think Wisconsin would have hired him for the head job without the Pitt head coaching experience, and given that Alvarez is from Western PA, I'm not sure Barry would have had enough influence anywhere else to get him a head coaching position.

He would have eventually gotten a smaller opportunity regardless of how poorly he interviewed. Pitt was just making poor decisions back then. Mr. Smackurbitchup, Fraud and Moose Lodge were all downgrades from Wanny.

20 or 30 years ago, this would be the case. Not now. The money is too good. Take the job & you are set for life, even if it doesn't work out. You can go right back to coordinator position.

Reactions: lilspainishflea

He will need to be an OC for an established successful program where he could have success and someone will give him another shot.

The WORST coaching decision in Pitt (and one of the worst in college FB history) was hiring Foge over Jimmy Johnson to replace Jackie Sherrill.

The second worst coaching decision in Pitt (and also one of the worst in College FB history) was Pitt promoting Paul Hackett over hiring Barry Alvarez who would have taken this job in a heart beat.

He would have eventually gotten a smaller opportunity regardless of how poorly he interviewed. Pitt was just making poor decisions back then. Mr. Smackurbitchup, Fraud and Moose Lodge were all downgrades from Wanny.
No Way Bird GIF

• Haha
Reactions: joeydavid

I think Alvarez was friends with DelleDonne, used that to get his guy Chryst some coaching experience in case they ever had to bring him back. Peterson was basically neutered at that point on the coaching search. Blame this one on the boosters.

The WORST coaching decision in Pitt (and one of the worst in college FB history) was hiring Foge over Jimmy Johnson to replace Jackie Sherrill.

The second worst coaching decision in Pitt (and also one of the worst in College FB history) was Pitt promoting Paul Hackett over hiring Barry Alvarez who would have taken this job in a heart beat.

I think at some point George Welsh wanted the job too after a successful run at Navy. He did very well at Virginia. Maybe he was interested when they hired Gottfried? He also would have done well here.

And don't forget about Sherrill instead of Majors 2. He was still in his prime, but at that time in Pitt history I don't think Saban would have had any success with J Dennis, Briscoe, and Ovaltine in the administration.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT