ADVERTISEMENT

Chryst went 8 MONTHS without a recruiting department. LMAO

Chryst always reminded me of one of those WPIAL gym teacher guys. Loves ball but that's it. Never seemed like a guy who cared much about the other stuff besides coaching at practice and games.
Another classic example of the Peter Principle. Some guys are born to be position coaches/coordinators and not head coaches. Paul Chryst is one of these. Nothing wrong with that.

Alvarez left and started the clock ticking on him. Without Alvarez, looked a lot like old Paul with Steve Pederson. Anyway wasn’t Engram supposed to be an ace recruiter?

Reactions: djbpitt
I'm going to be honest, I thought Paul's staff recruited better at Wisky then they did at PITT in terms of outreach.

I would have thought that his internship at Pitt would have helped him to understand basic staffing guidelines.

Reactions: djbpitt
Being honest, what does that say for Duzz recruiting? A guy who didn’t recruit was maybe a little better or the same as the guy we have now. Like I said, few parents have told me PC was distant and PN is at best aloof

• Haha
Reactions: WeaverIsComing
On a side note, ran into T Gilliard dad at his high school , administrative teacher, in a rival area state , had on my Pitt clothes to go into the WVU territory lol, he said laughing , only you and my son TY would do this , hopefully they let you back out of here. Wish Pitt recruited this area harder some good talent in a 60 miles radius.

Well the question is, why was there no recruiting department? For all we know, Chryst could have been begging the AD for one and the AD (or the president or other school officials above the AD) refused to allocate the funds for that. I am pretty sure that Chryst pointed out similar type of personnel and/or funding shortcomings on his way out the door from Pitt, which ultimately led the higher ups to fire Steve Pederson.

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
Being honest, what does that say for Duzz recruiting? A guy who didn’t recruit was maybe a little better or the same as the guy we have now. Like I said, few parents have told me PC was distant and PN is at best aloof

Comparing rosters is silly. Narduzzi's rosters have been way more talented top bottom than what Chryst built.

Well the question is, why was there no recruiting department? For all we know, Chryst could have been begging the AD for one and the AD (or the president or other school officials above the AD) refused to allocate the funds for that. I am pretty sure that Chryst pointed out similar type of personnel and/or funding shortcomings on his way out the door from Pitt, which ultimately led the higher ups to fire Steve Pederson.

It was Chryst's choice to not fill the position immediately. In other words, he decided it wasn't important enough to prioritize.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
On a side note, ran into T Gilliard dad at his high school , administrative teacher, in a rival area state , had on my Pitt clothes to go into the WVU territory lol, he said laughing , only you and my son TY would do this , hopefully they let you back out of here. Wish Pitt recruited this area harder some good talent in a 60 miles radius.
Nice try. We know you're a troll. Using Marino in your name isn't fooling anyone.

Princeton, WV isn't 60 miles from Pittsburgh. Or, are you suggesting there is good talent in a 60 mile radius from Princeton?

So you want Pitt to spend resources and time on an area that produces 1-2 D1 prospects per year and have already stated that nobody likes Pitt in that area. Do you realize what you suggest makes absolutely no sense whatsoever?

Another classic example of the Peter Principle. Some guys are born to be position coaches/coordinators and not head coaches. Paul Chryst is one of these. Nothing wrong with that.

Exactly. There is nothing that screams head coach when you see what Chryst has done. Not enough attention to the details (i.e. the snafu of telling recruits in a letter they were playing the Big East when Pitt was already in the ACC). Letting positions stay vacant for too long...we saw this here with the DC. Didn't change much at Wisky with this report of not staffing the recruiting dept. Plus questionable hires. We all know House wasn't ready for the big time. At Wisky he just brought on Engram as OC who never held that position before and was most recently a position coach in the NFL. And not to mention his demeanor, not exactly the type to inspire legions of fans.

Not sure where he ends up. Maybe his style of play will work in a lower division, or maybe Navy? They have been slumping lately. Chryst run heavy offense not too much of a departure from what they have. I can't see his offense working at too many P5 schools these days. EDIT: with $11 million CASH in his pocket, he doesn't need to end up anywhere, mid-fifties can just enjoy the good life now.

Hiring coordinators always a crap shoot. I really had Dave Aranda pegged as career assistant but he is doing very well at Baylor. But then there is Venerbles who might fall into that category although it is very early in his tenure.

Wild chain of events to this. They moved the Middle LB coach over to O-line and hired the guy that got Air Force in trouble. When he had to quit after three months, they back filled with Mark D'onofrio who hadn't been coaching since 2018. Probably not a coincidence that the kid in question is a LB. Makes you wonder if they didn't bail on the kid because there was impermissible contact or worse.

The other problem is that Whisky wasn't really spending much money on recruiting. There have been complaints about it for a few years from their media and fans. As a result, they started losing out on in-state talent and those B1G West schools live and die with the kids they recruit at home.

Wild chain of events to this. They moved the Middle LB coach over to O-line and hired the guy that got Air Force in trouble. When he had to quit after three months, they back filled with Mark D'onofrio who hadn't been coaching since 2018. Probably not a coincidence that the kid in question is a LB. Makes you wonder if they didn't bail on the kid because there was impermissible contact or worse.
Did you say Mark D'Onofrio? Did they check his track record? At his previous gigs at Temple (we simply called him "Onofrio" because the D was lacking), Miami, and Houston, he specialized in bend-but-break defense.

Reactions: pittdan77
Chryst run heavy offense not too much of a departure from what they have.
Navy would have a losing record year in and year out if they ran Chryst's offense.

Navy runs the triple option with undersized OL because they can't recruit them. Chryst is known for his zone/gap scheme with enormous OL's.

Drastically different offenses.

Did you say Mark D'Onofrio? Did they check his track record? At his previous gigs at Temple (we simply called him "Onofrio" because the D was lacking), Miami, and Houston, he specialized in bend-but-break defense.

I think he would have been on staff here had Pederson got his first choice in Al Golden instead of Haywood.

Navy would have a losing record year in and year out if they ran Chryst's offense.

Navy runs the triple option with undersized OL because they can't recruit them. Chryst is known for his zone/gap scheme with enormous OL's.

Drastically different offenses.

shows how much I know 😆

So you want Pitt to spend resources and time on an area that produces 1-2 D1 prospects per year and have already stated that nobody likes Pitt in that area. Do you realize what you suggest makes absolutely no sense whatsoever?
I’m sure you’ve already figured out that he’s a hoopie troll… Posting something that doesn’t make sense is a dead give away….

Exactly. There is nothing that screams head coach when you see what Chryst has done. Not enough attention to the details (i.e. the snafu of telling recruits in a letter they were playing the Big East when Pitt was already in the ACC). Letting positions stay vacant for too long...we saw this here with the DC. Didn't change much at Wisky with this report of not staffing the recruiting dept. Plus questionable hires. We all know House wasn't ready for the big time. At Wisky he just brought on Engram as OC who never held that position before and was most recently a position coach in the NFL. And not to mention his demeanor, not exactly the type to inspire legions of fans.

This is why Alvarez was so important to Chyrst’s success, and then downfall once Alvarez began to checkout and eventually retire. Chyrst can coach just based on his record, he just can’t run a program on his own.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirge999
I’m sure you’ve already figured out that he’s a hoopie troll… Posting something that doesn’t make sense is a dead give away….
You are a dimbass! I have drove 9 hours round trip to every home game , will be there tomorrow, if you do not like other’s opinions move on, you are the biggest dumbass on this board and I have never attacked you just laugh as others do you

not sure what you mean. Chryst was .500, Narduzzi won an ACC championship. So yeah, the results show it.
I can only imagine how bad Pitt would’ve been under Chryst if he was still the coach in 2015 and 2016.

Narduzzi landing Peterman and having a 40 ppg offense still generated just 8-5 records because the schedules became more difficult. Plus, the ACC had some really good QBs.

Chryst’s defenses would have been awful and no way with Voytik does the O generate enough points to win eight games.

I think Colorado should take a chance on Chryst, but that school lacks the money needed to compete that I’m not sure Paul would even be interested.

You are a dimbass! I have drove 9 hours round trip to every home game , will be there tomorrow, if you do not like other’s opinions move on, you are the biggest dumbass on this board and I have never attacked you just laugh as others do you
dimbass? I rest my case you sod off leprechaun!

I can only imagine how bad Pitt would’ve been under Chryst if he was still the coach in 2015 and 2016.

Narduzzi landing Peterman and having a 40 ppg offense still generated just 8-5 records because the schedules became more difficult. Plus, the ACC had some really good QBs.

Chryst’s defenses would have been awful and no way with Voytik does the O generate enough points to win eight games.

I think Colorado should take a chance on Chryst, but that school lacks the money needed to compete that I’m not sure Paul would even be interested.
Chryst will never be a P5 HC again. He is a terrible interviewer due to the fact that it seems difficult for him to string together sentences. I could see him being a good MAC coach or good OC

ADVERTISEMENT