ADVERTISEMENT

Cignetti needs to take notes watching Michigan

Hahahahahahaha when a dude is 15 yards behind the defense it has nothing to do with separation.

Also, did you see Michigan turtle into a power under center two TE look at the end.

Look, I know you think cignetti is the best OC in history, but even a run heavy team like Michigan isn’t as conservative as we are

Does Michigan have 4 players each making a mistake on a single offensive play? Doubtful.

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
So who has the better offensive scheme, Ohio State or Michigan?

Also, which team has the most offensive talent, Ohio State or Michigan?

Ohio State has the better scheme.
Ohio State has the better skill position talent.

But OSU’s offense doesn’t line up against Michigan’s offense.

The biggest talent disparity in the game is Michigan’s offense v. OSU’s defense.

Day is also not a good play caller or in game coach. That 4th and 3 punt call was atrocious. And he calls too many horizontal passes.

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
So who has the better offensive scheme, Ohio State or Michigan?

Also, which team has the most offensive talent, Ohio State or Michigan?
Fredo wouldn't know scheme if it hit him in the face. It's amusing to read his blabber like he has any clue what he's talking about.

Michigan uses just as many bunch sets as Pitt, and comparing McCarthy as equal to Slovis is one on the dumbest things I've ever heard.

The biggest talent disparity in the game is Michigan’s offense v. OSU’s defense.
OSU's 2 deep defense

DE - Tuimoloau - 5 star
DE - Sawyer - 5 star

DT - Vincent - 4 star
DT - Williams - 4 star

NT - Hamilton - 3 star
NT - Hall - 4 star

Jack - Harrison - 5 star
Jack - Jean-Baptiste - 4 star

WLB - Chambers - 3 star
WLB - Simon - 4 star

MLB - Eichenberg - 4 star
MLB - Gaoteote - 5 star

CB - Burke - 4 star
CB - Johnson - 4 star

FS - Hickman - 4 star
FS - Stokes - 4 star

BS - Ransom - 4 star
BS - Proctor - 4 star

CB - Hancock - 4 star
CB - Brown - 3 star

Nickel - McCallister - 3 star
Nickel - Martinez - 4 star

5 stars = 4
4 stars = 14
3 stars = 4

Michigan Offense Depth Chart

QB - McCarthy - 4 star

RB - Corum - 4 star
RB - Stokes - 3 star

WR - Johnson - 4 star
WR - Anthony - 3 star

WR - Wilson - 4 star
WR - Morris - 4 star

LT - Hayes - 4 star
LT - Persi - 4 star

LG - El-Hadi - 4 star
LG - Atterbury - 3 star

C - Oluwatimi - 2 star
C - Anderson - 3 star

RG - Zinter - 4 star
RG - Atterbury - 3 star

RT - Barnhart - 4 star
RT - Honigford - 3 star

TE - Loveland - 4 star
TE - Bredeson - unranked

5 stars = zero
4 stars = 11
3 stars = 6
2 stars = 2
unranked = 1

According to the holy grail of star rankings, it appears OSU had more talent on defense then Michigan had on offense. Plus when you factor Corum was injured.. Sheesh.. I didn't think the disparity was that bad..

Day is also not a good play caller or in game coach.
Urban Meyer on Ryan Day -

“I just like to use the word elite. He is an elite offensive coach."

“Ryan Day, when I hired him, I immediately saw one of his strengths. He attacks coverages as well as any coach I’ve ever been around,” said Meyer. “I tell people he can actually probably be a secondary coach. That’s how much he understands what’s going on in the back end of the defense.”

Reactions: CJsE
Urban Meyer on Ryan Day -

“I just like to use the word elite. He is an elite offensive coach."

“Ryan Day, when I hired him, I immediately saw one of his strengths. He attacks coverages as well as any coach I’ve ever been around,” said Meyer. “I tell people he can actually probably be a secondary coach. That’s how much he understands what’s going on in the back end of the defense.”

He punted on 4th and 3.

OSU's 2 deep defense

DE - Tuimoloau - 5 star
DE - Sawyer - 5 star

DT - Vincent - 4 star
DT - Williams - 4 star

NT - Hamilton - 3 star
NT - Hall - 4 star

Jack - Harrison - 5 star
Jack - Jean-Baptiste - 4 star

WLB - Chambers - 3 star
WLB - Simon - 4 star

MLB - Eichenberg - 4 star
MLB - Gaoteote - 5 star

CB - Burke - 4 star
CB - Johnson - 4 star

FS - Hickman - 4 star
FS - Stokes - 4 star

BS - Ransom - 4 star
BS - Proctor - 4 star

CB - Hancock - 4 star
CB - Brown - 3 star

Nickel - McCallister - 3 star
Nickel - Martinez - 4 star

5 stars = 4
4 stars = 14
3 stars = 4

Michigan Offense Depth Chart

QB - McCarthy - 4 star

RB - Corum - 4 star
RB - Stokes - 3 star

WR - Johnson - 4 star
WR - Anthony - 3 star

WR - Wilson - 4 star
WR - Morris - 4 star

LT - Hayes - 4 star
LT - Persi - 4 star

LG - El-Hadi - 4 star
LG - Atterbury - 3 star

C - Oluwatimi - 2 star
C - Anderson - 3 star

RG - Zinter - 4 star
RG - Atterbury - 3 star

RT - Barnhart - 4 star
RT - Honigford - 3 star

TE - Loveland - 4 star
TE - Bredeson - unranked

5 stars = zero
4 stars = 11
3 stars = 6
2 stars = 2
unranked = 1

According to the holy grail of star rankings, it appears OSU had more talent on defense then Michigan had on offense. Plus when you factor Corum was injured.. Sheesh.. I didn't think the disparity was that bad..

I get that. I’m saying the OSU defense is just not that good. Star rankings or no star rankings.

You can’t convince me jj McCarthy is any better than slovis, but they’re finding ways to move the ball through the air.

Also scheming. You are getting Michigan receivers run completely uncovered all over the field.

Once again it’s just proof that to be a run first team, you don’t have to constantly line up in power bunch formations like we constant do.
Seems like our offenses are pretty comparable. They played all cupcakes (Colorado st, hawaii, UConn, combined 11-24) and really only had a great offensive game against a pretty bad ups team. Their QB is a bit better and he never throws interceptions hardly, they just rely on a strong run offense

Reactions: Teh Teh
Seems like our offenses are pretty comparable. They played all cupcakes (Colorado st, hawaii, UConn, combined 11-24) and really only had a great offensive game against a pretty bad ups team. Their QB is a bit better and he never throws interceptions hardly, they just rely on a strong run offense
And today? Lol?

Yeah let’s ignore that. And our schedule is garbage

And today? Lol?

Yeah let’s ignore that. And our schedule is garbage
You guys played osu and Michigan! It’s mostly garbage I agree, but you had 2 decent teams.

Pitt had a good OC schedule and our average coastal group, but had Louisville in the crossover year. Not a bad schedule, no ND, but this is the schedule Pitt should be playing each year. No one coulda thought Tennessee would be a top 4 team

My point about the offensive scheme is that there are a multitude of ways to build a good, effective offense. This idea that "it's 2022, so it has to be done a certain way" is just idiotic.

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
You guys played osu and Michigan! It’s mostly garbage I agree, but you had 2 decent teams.

Pitt had a good OC schedule and our average coastal group, but had Louisville in the crossover year. Not a bad schedule, no ND, but this is the schedule Pitt should be playing each year. No one coulda thought Tennessee would be a top 4 team
You guys? As usual when you lose an argument you insist I’m a nitter. Pretty pathetic

Day is also not a good play caller or in game coach. That 4th and 3 punt call was atrocious. And he calls too many horizontal passes.
He's lost 5 games in 4 years. Two of those loses were to the National Champion and only one was outside the top 5.

They are #2 in offensive efficiency this season
#1 last year
#3 in 2020
#3 in 2019

Yeah, the guy is a real bum on offense. I bet they're going to poach Cig so that they can finally have some success on that side of the ball.../s

He's lost 5 games in 4 years. Two of those loses were to the National Champion and only one was outside the top 5.

They are #2 in offensive efficiency this season
#1 last year
#3 in 2020
#3 in 2019

Yeah, the guy is a real bum on offense. I bet they're going to poach Cig so that they can finally have some success on that side of the ball.../s
They haven't really struggled to win games at tOSU for a long, long, time. Day has done a nice job there, at the same time, the 3rd base comment by Harbaugh is accurate.

They haven't really struggled to win games at tOSU for a long, long, time. Day has done a nice job there, at the same time, the 3rd base comment by Harbaugh is accurate.
But they haven't exactly been under-performing, how much better could they possibly be expected to perform? They are the only team that will have 4 straight seasons in the top 4 in offensive efficiency. The only other franchise that is close is Alabama.

You guys? As usual when you lose an argument you insist I’m a nitter. Pretty pathetic

You arent a nitter?????

well, I guess today you must be extremely happy with Cignetti and Narduzzi then, 100 yard rusher, 100 yard receiver, shit is tight.

Looking forward to you posting about how amazing our team is the rest of this year.

But they haven't exactly been under-performing, how much better could they possibly be expected to perform? They are the only team that will have 4 straight seasons in the top 4 in offensive efficiency. The only other franchise that is close is Alabama.
I don't think he's underperformed. At the same time, he hasn't done anything special there either. He took over a stacked program, and he's kept it going. I don't think the natives are going to take getting trucked by Michigan 2 straight years too well though.

fredo-smart.gif

No you said slovis is awful....the worst in years..... so Michigan also has their worst qb in decades....ummmmmm okay
McCarthy is so bad, this year Harbaugh benched a QB who went 13-2 and took Mich to its first CFP to start him.

My point about the offensive scheme is that there are a multitude of ways to build a good, effective offense. This idea that "it's 2022, so it has to be done a certain way" is just idiotic.
That’s always been true. But if you want to play the type of offense Michigan plays, you’d better have some flat out maulers up front. And very few teams have that, including Pitt. If you don’t have that, you’d better find a way to create as many mismatches in space as possible.

As Mike Leach once said, to him offense is simple-throw the ball short to fast guys that can score as many times as possible.

Reactions: sonofabit
But if you want to play the type of offense Michigan plays, you’d better have some flat out maulers up front.
You don't need 5 "maulers" to play Michigan's style.

Good Lord, when Dion Lewis was our tailback we ran the ball extremely well, had a great play action there wasn't really a mauler on that OL. They were fairly athletic guys who had good football IQ who understood leverage.

In the heyday of smashmouth football, Mike Shannahan had the smallest OL in the league at times and had the #1 rushing attack for many years with a revolving door at tailback.

Even Cowher's best running teams weren't littered with maulers. Sure - Faneca was a war daddy. But, Marvel Smith wasn't known as a mauler. Neither was Max Starks. Kendal Simmons was an athletic technician. Hartings was tough and sound but he could be exposed with a good NT. His 90's teams with Dirt Dawson, John Jackson, Leon Searcy, Stai, and Stryzlick weren't really maulers. Stai and Searcy were probably the 2 best pure road graders. The rest of those guys, Dirt included won with athleticism and intelligence.

The biggest key in running the ball is retaining and developing OL.

PITT needs to think out of the box and start recruiting the 6'4-6'6 guy who might only weigh 250lbs and develop him over 4-5 years, instead of recruiting the 6'5 315lb guy who is nowhere near the athlete the lighter guy is.

I always said Wanny didn't recruit the OL particularly well, meaning he wasn't pulling in high end pure OL types. He knew this and that's why he moved the Pinkston's, Malecki's, and Clemmons, etc and instantly created athleticism on his OL. You gotta have patience and a guy that can develop them though.

Reactions: sonofabit
McCarthy is so bad, this year Harbaugh benched a QB who went 13-2 and took Mich to its first CFP to start him.

That’s always been true. But if you want to play the type of offense Michigan plays, you’d better have some flat out maulers up front. And very few teams have that, including Pitt. If you don’t have that, you’d better find a way to create as many mismatches in space as possible.

As Mike Leach once said, to him offense is simple-throw the ball short to fast guys that can score as many times as possible.
Looking forward to seeing the Texas track star fitting in the offense. Kiffin runs tight formations which confuse the secondary once all receivers crisscross and pick off DB’s. It can be done.

He punted on 4th and 3.
He’s widely regarded by his peers in the coaching business as an elite play caller. So there’s that. I would say as a head coach, he’s not Urban Meyer-and it’s starting to show. There had to be a dropoff from one of the best 3 college football coaches of the modern era, and we’re starting to see it.

Today, I think they just ran into a highly motivated opponent that was much more determined and more physical along the lines of scrimmage.
You don't need 5 "maulers" to play Michigan's style.

Good Lord, when Dion Lewis was our tailback we ran the ball extremely well, had a great play action there wasn't really a mauler on that OL. They were fairly athletic guys who had good football IQ who understood leverage.

In the heyday of smashmouth football, Mike Shannahan had the smallest OL in the league at times and had the #1 rushing attack for many years with a revolving door at tailback.

Even Cowher's best running teams weren't littered with maulers. Sure - Faneca was a war daddy. But, Marvel Smith wasn't known as a mauler. Neither was Max Starks. Kendal Simmons was an athletic technician. Hartings was tough and sound but he could be exposed with a good NT. His 90's teams with Dirt Dawson, John Jackson, Leon Searcy, Stai, and Stryzlick weren't really maulers. Stai and Searcy were probably the 2 best pure road graders. The rest of those guys, Dirt included won with athleticism and intelligence.

The biggest key in running the ball is retaining and developing OL.

PITT needs to think out of the box and start recruiting the 6'4-6'6 guy who might only weigh 250lbs and develop him over 4-5 years, instead of recruiting the 6'5 315lb guy who is nowhere near the athlete the lighter guy is.

I always said Wanny didn't recruit the OL particularly well, meaning he wasn't pulling in high end pure OL types. He knew this and that's why he moved the Pinkston's, Malecki's, and Clemmons, etc and instantly created athleticism on his OL. You gotta have patience and a guy that can develop them though.
I think our terminology is crossed up. By “maulers” I’m not talking about huge monsters. I’m talking about 5 outstanding run blockers.

I agree with you about recruiting tall athletic guys with frames that can carry 300-plus pounds to develop into tackles. I’ve been saying that for years. Pitt’s best tackle in recent memory was one of those, and Central Michigan put 3 OTs in the first round over the past 15 years by developing those kinds of players.

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
He’s widely regarded by his peers in the coaching business as an elite play caller. So there’s that. I would say as a head coach, he’s not Urban Meyer-and it’s starting to show. There had to be a dropoff from one of the best 3 college football coaches of the modern era, and we’re starting to see it.

Some coaches are great play callers but fold in big games.

I think Day’s in game decisions are not particularly great. And as a play caller, at least since he’s been HC, he seems to tighten up in big games.

ADVERTISEMENT