ADVERTISEMENT

Classic Pitt Panther logo is how old? Ans: at least 1946-47

CrazyPaco

Athletic Director
Jul 5, 2001
RaleighPittFan's current avatar reminded me of something I recently stumbled upon.

9816937162cfa0e72f0d096af44c0792.jpg

There was much merchandise from the 1980s that was emblazoned with this logo, such as below. And this is where I knew it from. (the below color image is actually from a scan of a wastepaper basketball board from the 1980s and an image of a stadium seat cushion).

Pittrealold.jpg
pitt-panthers-seat-cushion-pittsburgh_1_14e04a04e8dfbb947f29e86c01409a24.jpg

A link to images of other 1980s merchandise with this logo: https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com/threads/georgia-tech-rebranding-video.130795/#post-2292181

This logo's use may have stretched into the 1990s, and it currently is used in various throwback merchandise.

But does anyone know how long this logo was used by Pitt (not counting the current throwback merchandise)?

I've currently traced its use back to the below crop of a candid black & white yearbook shot where the logo clearly shows up on a folder/notebook. I believe it was used, off and on, fairly consistently on merchandise from at least this period of this photo through the 1980s.

Pantherroundheadjpg_zps23scytck.jpg

Anyone care to take a guess the year of this photo? I'm curious if anyone knows.

Last edited:
RaleighPittFan's current avatar reminded me of something I recently stumbled upon.

There was much merchandise from the 1980s that was emblazoned with this logo, such as below. And this is where I knew it from. (the below color image is actually from a scan of a wastepaper basketball board from the 1980s).

Pittrealold.jpg

This logo's use may have stretched into the 1990s, and it currently is used in various throwback merchandise.

But does know how long this logo was used by Pitt (not counting the current throwback merchandise)?

I've currently traced its use back to the below crop of a candid black & white yearbook shot where the logo clearly shows up on a folder/notebook. I believe it was used, off and on, fairly consistently on merchandise from at least this period of this photo through the 1980s.

Anyone care to take a guess the year of this photo? I'm curious if anyone knows.
Looks like the photo was taken by Matthew Brady.

Reactions: PittSquared
I was at Pitt from 66 to 70 and I don't ever recall seeing any official logo being used at all. There were some Panther heads at times, but nothing being official.

I was at Pitt from 66 to 70 and I don't ever recall seeing any official logo being used at all. There were some Panther heads at times, but nothing being official.

The only time that I think there has ever been only one exclusive Panther head licensed by the university was after the dinocat was introduced in 1997. Multiple Panther logos were used prior to that. Prior to the 90s, at least at Pitt, there wasn't the same concept of primary and secondary logos being carefully controlled and licensed. It was more of a free-for-all. However, the Panther logo in question, and others, have appeared on officially licensed merchandise sold by Pitt (as is depicted by the above seat cushion image). When official licensing first started, I don't know for sure, but I think sometime in the 70s or 80s.

That said, I would assume the folder/notebook in the cropped photo was sold in the Pitt bookstore at the time.

I’ll guess the Dave Hart era 66-68

Three wins and ALL.....another championship move by the Pitt Athletic Department..

And I'll add, the Panther head logo was filed with the trademark office on August 15, 1980, and registered on May 21, 1985. In that filing, the first commercial use of that logo was listed as 1977. That is wrong based on the above cropped photo (and other images on commercial merchandise since that point but prior to 1977).
large

Sample image submitted with 1980s TM filing.

So now it is obvious that the original photo crop is from prior to 1977.

I will add that I believe, as far as I can tell, that this is the longest continuously used Pitt logo (at least of an Panther image as opposed to a simple word mark like a basic block PITT) as far as appearing on merchandise based on dating the above photo to at least the 1980s. As far as consistency, even the 3-D style block PITT font and design of the logo in that photo exactly match the circa 1980s merchandise like the seat cushion.

Last edited:

There was much merchandise from the 1980s that was emblazoned with this logo, such as below. And this is where I knew it from. (the below color image is actually from a scan of a wastepaper basketball board from the 1980s and an image of a stadium seat cushion).

Pittrealold.jpg
pitt-panthers-seat-cushion-pittsburgh_1_14e04a04e8dfbb947f29e86c01409a24.jpg

A link to images of other 1980s merchandise with this logo: https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com/threads/georgia-tech-rebranding-video.130795/#post-2292181

But does know how long this logo was used by Pitt (not counting the current throwback merchandise)?

Bring it back, best throwback ever.
Unlike today it doesn’t look like a Dino...
And unlike State’s...it doesn’t look like a chipmunk

This is it!!!

Pertaining to the guess in the 60s...

Sweatshirt%201966Owlpg94_zps8wvvmzob.jpg

I can confirm it was used on merchandise through the 60s. For instance, this photo of a sweatshirt is cropped from the 1965-66 year book. But that isn't the answer.

I'll give the final answer later tonight.

Last edited:
Pertaining to the guess in the 60s...

Sweatshirt%201966Owlpg94_zps8wvvmzob.jpg

I can confirm it was used on merchandise through the 60s. For instance, this photo of a sweatshirt is cropped from the 1965-66 year book. But that isn't the answer.

I'll give the final answer later tonight.
So I’m close... nice!

Than answer, is that this image...

...is cropped from this yearbook page...
p1881947Owl_zpsvej7zkr1.jpg

Which is page 188 from the 1946-47 Pitt yearbook.

That is right, this logo...

...dates to at least 1947, meaning that it was used continuously for at least 40 years between the 1940s and 1980s. With its use on current throwback items, has been around for at least 71 years!

Personally, I was completely surprised when I saw that logo in a photo circa 1946-47. Clearly based on their 1980s trademark filing, Pitt didn't know it had been used that long either.

With the literally dozens of logos and Panthers used by the university since the Panther mascot was adopted in November of 1909, other than the Panther Hollow bridge statues that have been used on or off to represent the Pitt Panther (although not so much as logos), this is by far the oldest and longest used iteration of a Pitt Panther logo or symbol that I have identified to date. And it was essentially unaltered for the duration of its use through the 1980s, which is true for very few logos for any organization or company.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parkview57
Leave it to Pitt to have a classic logo like that for at least 70yrs....basically dump it and replace it with things that look like dogs or seals and things somewhat indescribable .....

I guess other schools do it as well although Pitt has it down pat.

Yinz want a throwback, write in to make that cat IT.

Good OP; great find btw.

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
After review of the subject photos, I think a more relevant inquiry is determining the year "big hair" became a Pittsburgh insitution.
Clearly it was in place during the time frame of this photo.
This is one of the funniest posts ever delivered.
I’m looking at those pix and thinking what is it that I just can’t figure here.

You nailed it ....

That classic 40s Hollywood look of the shoulder length hair with a subtle wave or two definitely skipped the burgh.

Lol

Last edited:
"We hate the parting" actually offers a clue that someone at Pitt created the trapper keeper 40 years previously. We need a lawyer on copyright laws

Leave it to Pitt to have a classic logo like that for at least 70yrs....basically dump it and replace it with things that look like dogs or seals and things somewhat indescribable .....

I guess other schools do it as well although Pitt has it down pat.

Yinz want a throwback, write in to make that cat IT.

Good OP; great find btw.
Yeah, and the colors are EXACTLY right on that logo as well. What are we doing here, guys? We already have the goddamn answers and we’ve had them since World War II!

The University of Pittsburgh:
Making the painfully easy seem ridiculously difficult since 1787.

Reactions: paulbl99
Yeah, and the colors are EXACTLY right on that logo as well. What are we doing here, guys? We already have the goddamn answers and we’ve had them since World War II!

The University of Pittsburgh:
Making the painfully easy seem ridiculously difficult since 1787.
One of the all time winners!!!

I have an old outdoor flag with that classic Panther head

I wouldn’t have guessed 1947 but that’s pretty amazing

I just bought the throwback fitted nike Pitt hat that has this embroidery on the back, this logo is a thing of beauty and needs to be our new secondary logo

I would throw this small but in the back collar above the name plate of the throwbacks and on the left from hip adjacent to the Nike logo on the throwback pants.

I just consulted with Steve Pederson about this logo. He suggests that Pitt immediately stop using it. It's too old and we need more Dino!

I have a tall glass mug that was filled with peanuts( I think ) with that logo in color on it, I hope I can find it.

P. S. I'm guessing circa 1987....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT