ADVERTISEMENT

Claypool Gone

I like Claypool more than Johnson, but this a good thing long term. The Steelers (Tomlin) are finally admitting they are rebuilding…
Diontae can run all the routes
Claypool can’t
This is a great trade -
Let’s trade Cam Heyward and Najee too and stock up the draft

Do you know what the Salary Cap implications would be if they were to trade TJ? I'll give you a hint, it would easily be the worst all time.

yeah he is essentially untradeable for 2 more seasons

Reactions: GoldenPather5
Dead cap doesn’t get changed

Right. The Stillers get $1.1M this year and just under $600K next year in dead cap money for Chase Claypool, and there is literally nothing they can do to get that money off their cap.

Or another example, from a guy with a lot larger contract, Washington gets a $10.6M dead cap hit this year and another $9M next year for trading William Jackson to the Stillers.

I respect that perspective, it’s definitely valid and has precedence as you mentioned. However, the way I see it is that we don’t even need to trade our best asset (Watt) to get better fast; we just need him back on the field.

When you compare the splits between him playing versus him not, it’s obvious how big of an impact he makes. I see no reason why we can’t build a championship caliber while retaining him. There’s already a good chance we have three picks in the top 40 as it is. The only way I’d give him up is if we get a Walker-sequel return AND they’re confident enough in Highsmith that they feel his 2022 performance isn’t just a one-time thing.
Kind of where I'm at with Watt. If you trade him, you will likely never replace him.

the problem with the strategy of trading our bad players for high draft picks is that it takes two sides to make a trade. i'd love to give them our bad players for high draft picks, just dont see any GMs on the other side wanting to do this..
The Bears just went and overpaid for Claypool and apparently the Packers were next in line to do the same thing. At least the Packers are in a position to make a run at the playoffs but it seems pretty obvious that the Bear's #2 is going to be a lot higher.

Kind of where I'm at with Watt. If you trade him, you will likely never replace him.
I know it's tough to replace that talent but he's also at a point in his career where he's probably peaking, if healthy. This is his 6th year and while he might have a dozen sacks a year or more in him for a while, yet, he's not going to be a three down player much longer. If the right deal came along, you'd be crazy not to look at it.

I know it's tough to replace that talent but he's also at a point in his career where he's probably peaking, if healthy. This is his 6th year and while he might have a dozen sacks a year or more in him for a while, yet, he's not going to be a three down player much longer. If the right deal came along, you'd be crazy not to look at it.
agree but GMs know this too. we got his best years,

Reactions: pittdan77
Depends on where a team is at. Can buy a player for a title run. Rams have done this in recent years.
he's a great player and im not gonna call him injury prone just yet cause he tore his pec but these guys hit 30 and it's just a steep and quick descent. Steelers are a few years away, best case he's 32-33 by the time we have a roster together and well a guy with his skill set wont be at the top of his game when he's 32 years old.

he's a great player and im not gonna call him injury prone just yet cause he tore his pec but these guys hit 30 and it's just a steep and quick descent. Steelers are a few years away, best case he's 32-33 by the time we have a roster together and well a guy with his skill set wont be at the top of his game when he's 32 years old.
Nope. That's why there is some merit to taking an offer if it's a really good one.

The Bears just went and overpaid for Claypool and apparently the Packers were next in line to do the same thing. At least the Packers are in a position to make a run at the playoffs but it seems pretty obvious that the Bear's #2 is going to be a lot higher.

It's the #2 they got from the Ravens. So a low second round pick. Still not awful. Hell, give the Packers Johnson next. At this point, F it (other than the whole trade deadline being over).

Not according to what I read, which was that it was the Bears #2 not the #2 they got from the Ravens.

Unless some new ‘news’ just came out this morning reversing what was stated yesterday?

Oh, maybe. I forgot the Bears even had two second round picks until I read some dude on Behind the Steel Curtain say we got the lower one last night. And that made a lot more sense to me, because even that seems high.

Oh, maybe. I forgot the Bears even had two second round picks until I read some dude on Behind the Steel Curtain say we got the lower one last night. And that made a lot more sense to me, because even that seems high.
They acquired Steelers standout Chase Claypool for a second-round pick hours before the 3 p.m. trade deadline Tuesday. The Bears are trading their second-rounder, not the one they acquired from the Ravens on the same day for Roquan Smith.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/...2nd-round-pick-report-ryan-poles-draft-salary

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT