ADVERTISEMENT

Cleveland Browns considering building a domed stadium outside the city.

The only way Cleveland will get to experience a Super Bowl - by hosting it.

Cleveland is the only NFL city to neither play in or host a Super Bowl.

The Rooneys always wanted Pittsburgh to host a Super Bowl. If I'm not mistaken, Cleveland's current stadium is two years older than Acrisure Stadium. Hmmm ha as Myron might say.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the city of Cleveland will ever host a Super Bowl, even if they build a new stadium. I think the NFL was/is looking to only hold the game in warmer climates. I thought there was talk they were looking into rotating it down south. I could be wrong, but I don't think the NFL would like to hold a game up north and a massive snowstorm hitting the city.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the city of Cleveland will ever host a Super Bowl, even if they build a new stadium. I think the NFL was/is looking to only hold the game in warmer climates. I thought there was talk they were looking into rotating it down south. I could be wrong, but I don't think the NFL would like to hold a game up north and a massive snowstorm hitting the city.
Detroit and Minneapolis have hosted the Super Bowl and Indianapolis isn’t a warmer climate.

They already held one in the Northeast. If the money is right, the NFL will make it work.

Reactions: cbpitt2
Of course, the current stadium is fine and they don't need a new one. But owners will get what they want.

Of course, the current stadium is fine and they don't need a new one. But owners will get what they want.
I went to a game there many years ago and thought the stadium was okay and frankly thought it was similar to Heinz. But I hear from family members in the Cleveland area that the stadium was poorly designed and constructed and it's outdated now -- it was a rush job to get the awarded the new Browns franchise as quickly as possible after Art Modell left town.

In 2014, the Super Bowl was held outdoors in East Rutherford, New Jersey.

While the NFL likes to reward teams for building domed stadiums with a Super Bowl, I don't know if Cleveland has enough hotels or event space to host the event. I also don't get the sense these domed stadiums actually host all these major extra events they advertise. I do like the ETFE roof like they have in Minnesota, but the rest of the preliminary design and seating bowl is a mess. It also looks like one of those lame suburban-style "Live" developments around the stadium.

I went to a game there many years ago and thought the stadium was okay and frankly thought it was similar to Heinz. But I hear from family members in the Cleveland area that the stadium was poorly designed and constructed and it's outdated now -- it was a rush job to get the awarded the new Browns franchise as quickly as possible after Art Modell left town.

Yes, but stadium were built on the cheap, but, they have lots of seats and people can get there. What's a new stadium going to do besides generate welfare from tax payers for the owners?

The only way Cleveland will get to experience a Super Bowl - by hosting it.

Cleveland is the only NFL city to neither play in or host a Super Bowl.

The Rooneys always wanted Pittsburgh to host a Super Bowl. If I'm not mistaken, Cleveland's current stadium is two years older than Acrisure Stadium. Hmmm ha as Myron might say.

The Browns should build it in the southern suburbs, maybe Cranberry.

While the NFL likes to reward teams for building domed stadiums with a Super Bowl, I don't know if Cleveland has enough hotels or event space to host the event. I also don't get the sense these domed stadiums actually host all these major extra events they advertise. I do like the ETFE roof like they have in Minnesota, but the rest of the preliminary design and seating bowl is a mess. It also looks like one of those lame suburban-style "Live" developments around the stadium.

I was up there for the NBA All-Star game and there wasnt 1 hotel room left in the entire city. Not 1. I had to stay like 20 miles out.

Reactions: Burgh15
If the Browns get a ton of public money the NFL will toss them a Super Bowl, the NFL was pretty lenient when it came to hotel room count for the Detroit Super Bowl, the radius was pretty wild, up to Flint in the north, Lansing to the west, Toledo to the south and across the river to Windsor, Ontario.

Reactions: cbpitt2 and Burgh15
super bowls should be held in warm weather or destination cities.. the idea of a super bowl in pittsburgh or cleveland is as depressing as detroit hosting one..

nfl built the super bowl into a week long party, they need to keep that in mind before giving it to cities like ours..

This is interesting but I think it's a good idea to make it so nobody has to go to downtown Cleveland. Brook Park is an interesting choice. Near the airport and right off of the turnpike.

Someone said that Cleveland doesn't have enough hotel space. I kind of disagree. I always thought Cleveland behaved like a much smaller city than Indy in that you can drive just about everywhere without much trouble. Hotels are spread out but it's not like it's inconvenient to get anywhere from Twinsburg or any of the communities along 480.

I attended a Indians game in old Municipal Stadium one July night and froze my ass off.

• Haha
Reactions: pittdan77
Wasn't there an ice storm or some weird event when dallas hosted the SB?
Yeah, they weren't prepared at all for the ice or snow. Beyond that, it was a terrible site for a Super Bowl. The events and locations were too spread out and while it gets a lot of hype, the stadium kinda sucks for the average fan. The seats were very far away from the field and the screen just dominated your view so it lacked some atmosphere. Believe it or not, even in the freezing weather, Detroit did a better job as Super Bowl host.

Reactions: 303vND
They do if you include Akron Canton. and since 71 runs through Brook Park they claim Columbus which is less than 2 hours away.

Not speaking for Andy - but what I think he's referring to is that the NFL's approach to the Superbowl moving forward is to restrict it to a rotation of stadiums/venues/locations such as LA, New Orleans, Tampa, Miami, Phoenix, Vegas. No more cold weather cities just because you have a doomed stadium.

Reactions: andypappas
Not speaking for Andy - but what I think he's referring to is that the NFL's approach to the Superbowl moving forward is to restrict it to a rotation of stadiums/venues/locations such as LA, New Orleans, Tampa, Miami, Phoenix, Vegas. No more cold weather cities just because you have a doomed stadium.
They’ll still toss in a new domed stadium cold weather city, the promise of a Super Bowl is what opens up the flood gates of taxpayer money for the game.

They’ll still toss in a new domed stadium cold weather city, the promise of a Super Bowl is what opens up the flood gates of taxpayer money for the game.
I think people are not going for that BS anymore.

Thanks 303vND

I listen to a lot of NFL Radio on Siriux/xm. One of the commentators who I respect tremendously, Pat Kirwan, is the one who brought this up a few years ago. Pat works behind the scenes at CBS and is a bit more clued in on the workings of the NFL.

The NFL has not come out directly to say no more cold weather Super Bowls, but they are much more in favor of the warm weather rotation.

Reactions: 303vND
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT