ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Staff Seems So Energized by this Team

Aug 2, 2019
I am not used to seeing the entire staff so engaged in coaching and working with this team. In past years it has normally just been O'toole all fired up and passionate. It is clear that the staff is enjoying coaching this team way more than previous ones. Good chemistry all around this year.

Santos contributing even six or seven quality minutes each game is big for this team.

Still shocking to see how bad Louisville is when their roster is filled with top 100 players. Nice to get a blowout win with Hinson and Cummings having such off shooting nights.

The staff probably is fired up because unlike prior years, he has mature grown men who are focused on winning and have put aside any selfishness to get the job done. Jamarius became an assist man and didn't worry about his points. It's just so refreshing to watch, and to the coaches it must feel like they struck gold this season.

I am not used to seeing the entire staff so engaged in coaching and working with this team. In past years it has normally just been O'toole all fired up and passionate. It is clear that the staff is enjoying coaching this team way more than previous ones. Good chemistry all around this year.

Santos contributing even six or seven quality minutes each game is big for this team.

Still shocking to see how bad Louisville is when their roster is filled with top 100 players. Nice to get a blowout win with Hinson and Cummings having such off shooting nights.

Watching this game, it didn't appear to me that we were that much more talented than Louisville. Player for player, we really arent THAT talented. And I dont mean that disrespectfully. I didnt think some of those Jamie teams were overly talented. But like those Jamie teams, this team is well-coached, well-drilled. Now a lot of that is due to their age but like it or not, Capel has done an excellent job of getting these guys to play as a team, to play smart/unselfish basketball. Louisville has talent. They shouldn't be this bad. But they make stupid mistakes and refuse to guard anyone. That's coaching.

Watching this game, it didn't appear to me that we were that much more talented than Louisville. Player for player, we really arent THAT talented. And I dont mean that disrespectfully. I didnt think some of those Jamie teams were overly talented. But like those Jamie teams, this team is well-coached, well-drilled. Now a lot of that is due to their age but like it or not, Capel has done an excellent job of getting these guys to play as a team, to play smart/unselfish basketball. Louisville has talent. They shouldn't be this bad. But they make stupid mistakes and refuse to guard anyone. That's coaching.
We aren’t. Talent really isn’t Louisville’s issue, it is more lack of smarts and experience than anything.

We aren’t. Talent really isn’t Louisville’s issue, it is more lack of smarts and experience than anything.

I don’t know enough about their recruiting rankings, but man they were rough. They reminded me of one of those Stallings teams where there just wasn’t the skill and coordination to compete. Maybe I’m wrong and they get better with experience.

Agree. They are lazy on defense, and just so sloppy with the basketball. It is hard to win a basketball game against an average team when you make as many unforced errors as they do. Experience is a great teacher, I am sure they will improve. That said, their bigs were particularly bad. They were clueless on setting screens, and they looked awkward trying to finish inside.

There was a huge difference in body language between the two staffs. The ville coaches looked defeated from the jump.

Reactions: 303vND
There was a huge difference in body language between the two staffs. The ville coaches looked defeated from the jump.

I think there is always a risk when you hire a guy with no HC experience. Granted Payne has lots of good coaching experience but he looked a little lost last night.

Reactions: 303vND
I don’t know enough about their recruiting rankings, but man they were rough. They reminded me of one of those Stallings teams where there just wasn’t the skill and coordination to compete. Maybe I’m wrong and they get better with experience.

They had 3-4 players who would play significant minutes for us. That shouldn't be the case for a Quad 4 team. There issue is defense and making stupid plays. That's coaching. Ellis is really skilled. I'd take that Big and 2 of those wings. All are skilled players who need refinement.

Agree. They are lazy on defense, and just so sloppy with the basketball. It is hard to win a basketball game against an average team when you make as many unforced errors as they do. Experience is a great teacher, I am sure they will improve. That said, their bigs were particularly bad. They were clueless on setting screens, and they looked awkward trying to finish inside.
agree, but for that blind squirrel to find only two nuts so far this year is borderline unbelievable..

Reactions: Pittisit4me
I think there is always a risk when you hire a guy with no HC experience. Granted Payne has lots of good coaching experience but he looked a little lost last night.
He had a pained look on his face quite a bit. IMO players pick up on that. Its one thing to pull a kid aside and point out mistakes. Its another to have the constant pained expression on your face because your not pleased with their play. IMO you could see it in the way their players carried themselves as well Just a totally different vibe between the two squads and it starts at the top

He had a pained look on his face quite a bit. IMO players pick up on that. Its one thing to pull a kid aside and point out mistakes. Its another to have the constant pained expression on your face because your not pleased with their play. IMO you could see it in the way their players carried themselves as well Just a totally different vibe between the two squads and it starts at the top
Pained look. pun intended?

The staff probably is fired up because unlike prior years, he has mature grown men who are focused on winning and have put aside any selfishness to get the job done. Jamarius became an assist man and didn't worry about his points. It's just so refreshing to watch, and to the coaches it must feel like they struck gold this season.
Yep, x would never look to feed the hot hand like Sibande had Elliot had yesterday because he wanted the light to shine on him all the time. Notice also how all of these players stop the drive and take the 8-10 footer? Mid range jumper so hard to defend. X and the dude that went to Nebraska had to go all the way to the rim 90% of the time. So frustrating.

It may have something to do with the maturity level and age of the current players at Pitt compared to X and others on that earlier team. But I also think it has a lot to do with the fact that this group of kids are good, high quality kids who care about each other. I don't think X or MacGowen would ever be like say a Cummings, Sibande, Burton, Elliott or even the younger guys on this team right now. These are good kids, high quality members of a team that know they're building something.

Last edited:
It may have something to do with the maturity level and age of the current players at Pitt compared to X and others on that earlier team. But I also think it has a lot to do with the fact that this group of kids are good, high quality kids who care about each other. I don't think X or MacGowen would ever be like say a Cummings, Sibande, Burton or even the younger guys on this team right now. These are good kids, high quality members of a team that know they're building something.

Yep. Focus on character. I’d rather have the high character guy with good skills over lower character guys with better skills. The beginning of the end of this programs’ success involved a few very talented malcontents in Artis and Young (amongst other factors).

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT